Noob guide still necessary... Needs a sticky!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LodisKnight, Jun 18, 2010.

1. LodisKnight
    OP

Newcomer LodisKnight Member

United States
    I am relatively new to all of this, but I still feel there is a need to create a guide that doesn't necessarily tell anybody how to mod or softmod their Wii, but lets them know exactly how the Wii works (i.e. what IOS the Wii attempts to load when they turn it on based on their system menu, what it tries to load when they try to play certain games with usb peripherals, stuff like that...). That way, anybody with even a small amount of common sense can avoid changing unnecessary things on their Wii, and avoid bricking as much as possible. Just a recommendation.

2. kimikal27

Member kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

Ireland
  3. LodisKnight
    OP

United States
    Needs a sticky was the main reason for this...

I understand there are tutorials and guides out there, but for the most part I don't believe they are exactly easy to get to. CompleteSoftmodGuide is, so maybe there should be a link in there at the top of the page or something. Wiibrew isn't exactly noob-friendly. Just a suggestion. If people read that first, before attempting the softmodguide, they would be less annoying questions on the forums and more people that know what they are doing so they could assist in submitting suggestions and possibly even begin developing on their own or assisting other developers.

4. kimikal27

Ireland
  5. LodisKnight
    OP

United States
    I see that is is in there, but I know you remember being new to this at one point. I think the link stating "noob starter guide" should either have it's own sticky, or it should be at the top of the link you are posting. Again, just a suggestion. It's mainly because I believe that anyone thinking of doing ANYTHING to their Wii at all should read the "noob starter guide" so they know what it is they're actually doing.

6. kimikal27

Ireland
    im sorry
    but i dont think it could be any more noob friendly
    but laziness or ppl that just dont want to learn will always be around...
    alot of ppl dont care about what they are doing, they just want the solution for the problem at hand and thats it
    and that is the reason for all these noob's

im around since the very first backup loader, and only after 2 weeks of it being released and much reading i attempted to hack it and was successful straight way
    and there where no noob guides,
    i dont think im smarter than any one but i do know how to be patient and understand the risks of what im doing

7. LodisKnight
    OP

United States
    I just thought it would be a good idea to have the "noob starter guide" or something like it front and center so that they don't dive right into the completesoftmodguide or some other unreliable softmod guide and make mistakes that could hurt them in the long run. I don't believe all people that end up not modding their Wiis are lazy, I just think that they get scared of some of the technical terms of the softmodguides out there, or maybe are new to forums even.

8. kimikal27

Ireland