Nokia 3310 is getting a refresh

145FBBCF-613E-4322-BD52-48ADB2252C01-27654-0000166C632F043D_tmp.jpg

Remember Nokia? The de facto phone company before iPhone took over? After it was aquired and sold by Microsoft, it's looking to do serious business again. Reports surfaced online that HMD Global, the sole manufactorer with exclusive rights to the Nokia brand, is planning to announce later this month at the Mobile World Congress a couple of new Nokia phones (Android based Nokia 3, 5 and 6), among them the iconic Nokia 3310!

Yes, that's right. The Nokia 3310 will get a refresh to beat up the competition. Apple and Google beware! Well, not really, the Nokia 3310 is meant as a homage to the good old days. Nonetheless I believe it will be a desirable collectors item and stock will surely be limited. And in case you want to phone with it, you actually CAN do that! Just don't expect a Google Chrome port.

:arrow: Source

Note: Well this isn't about gaming, hacking or anything related to it, but I believe it deserves its own topic. Feel free to voice your opinion in this thread.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
In a reality where people burnt over $100k for digging a hole : https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/28/cards-against-humanity-hole

What on earth does that have to do with a Nokia reboot outselling the iPhone?

You'll have all the "only 90s kids remember" herd that'll buy one to display in their cubicle. Worst you'll have starbucks code artisans with typewriters actually using the damn thing.

Sorry. This board is English only. Could you translate please?

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What on earth does that have to do with a Nokia reboot outselling the iPhone?

I was referring to the fact that Gen Y people don't have conventional spending habits and are more inclined to buy "experiences".
Thus I reckon that a lot of people would impulse buy the 3310 out of nostalgia as a collector's item.
There is currently approximately 95 million millennials in just north america and western europe (~2 billion in the world) [1].
Apple don't post details about their iPhone sales but it can be estimated from their quarterly reports.
The tendency seems to be lots of sales in Q1 (~75 million) then a drop into the 45~50 million in the next quarters [2].
Now if a little more than half millennials in the west (>50 million) buy the 3310 in Q2, there is a possibility for them to outsell iPhones __in that quarter__ (in case you forgot I only said _quarter_ in my original post).

Hopefully I made myself clear. Any questions?

[1] https://populationpyramid.net/world/1995/
[2] https://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

Sorry. This board is English only. Could you translate please?

Oh dear, let's see :
You'll have all the "only 90s kids remember" herd that'll buy one to display in their cubicle.
-> Every millennial will buy this novel item to boast about it in front of their peers
Worst you'll have starbucks code artisans with typewriters actually using the damn thing.
-> There might even be people unironically using it.

By the way, was it just a narcissistic comment out of spite or you really didn't understand a single thing from that? (it's fun being toxic but I also welcome constructive criticism)

Last edited by Enkuler,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I genuinely had no idea what you were talking about...

I still don't get your explanation of the Starbucks/Typewriter comment.

If you seriously think that 50% of millennials are going to buy this then your deluded. I would be surprised if 10% of millennials ever even *hear* about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)