Hacking NoGC in Stock SysMMC

MyconMama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently running Stock SysMMC on 9.0.1 and CFW EmuMMC on 8.1.0 thru Nyx (Hekate).
I previously updated SysMMC firmware from 6.20 to 8.1.0 using System Settings. I did not receive a NoGC error message when booting Stock at the time. I did receive a NoGC error message when booting EmuMMC, however, as expected.

Now, I am receiving a NoGC error message when booting stock SysMMC *and* CFW EmuMMC, since updating to 9.0.1 thru system settings (and using a jig to enter RCM immediately after to re-enable AutoRCM thru Hekate). No fuses have been burned.

My question is: is it safe to have the NoGC Patch enabled on an online stock SysMMC?

My feeling is that would produce questionable error reports which could get me flagged for a ban with Ninty (RIP if so). If that's the case, I feel I'd probably better let the GC fuses burn and just save my FW fuses, to reduce my risk of ban in my dual-boot system. But does anyone have any concrete info on this, or know why it would have *only* given me the error message on EmuMMC and not SysMMC before, despite their FW being the same?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm currently running Stock SysMMC on 9.0.1 and CFW EmuMMC on 8.1.0 thru Nyx (Hekate).
I previously updated SysMMC firmware from 6.20 to 8.1.0 using System Settings. I did not receive a NoGC error message when booting Stock at the time. I did receive a NoGC error message when booting EmuMMC, however, as expected.

Now, I am receiving a NoGC error message when booting stock SysMMC *and* CFW EmuMMC, since updating to 9.0.1 thru system settings (and using a jig to enter RCM immediately after to re-enable AutoRCM thru Hekate). No fuses have been burned.

My question is: is it safe to have the NoGC Patch enabled on an online stock SysMMC?

My feeling is that would produce questionable error reports which could get me flagged for a ban with Ninty (RIP if so). If that's the case, I feel I'd probably better let the GC fuses burn and just save my FW fuses, to reduce my risk of ban in my dual-boot system. But does anyone have any concrete info on this, or know why it would have *only* given me the error message on EmuMMC and not SysMMC before, despite their FW being the same?
When you boot <9.0 firmware on a higher fuse count NoGC is automatically enabled no matter your settings. This is because trying to boot a lower firmware with the GC slot updated to 9.0+ firmware will crash the system if a cart is inserted, so it makes more sense in that specific situation to always have NoGC enabled.
But that should not apply for booting 9.0+ firmware with lower fuse count. In that case the AutoNoGC settings in Hekate should still apply as normal (the ones in Atmosphere are ignored when booting fusee-secondary, though)
It is however always best to boot OFW normally, and not through RCM, because through RCM some patches are always applied so it's not a 100% stock firmware. That means fuses will be burned but that is one of those patches that are always enabled when booting through RCM that you will want to avoid if you care about online since there is a small chance those patches could be detected.
Obviously that's not possible if you have AutoRCM though since AutoRCM prevents the system from booting normally anyway so patches are always needed to force the system to boot up.

Reactions: MyconMama

MyconMama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is however always best to boot OFW normally, and not through RCM, because through RCM some patches are always applied so it's not a 100% stock firmware. That means fuses will be burned but that is one of those patches that are always enabled when booting through RCM that you will want to avoid if you care about online since there is a small chance those patches could be detected.
Obviously that's not possible if you have AutoRCM though since AutoRCM prevents the system from booting normally anyway so patches are always needed to force the system to boot up.

I have been booting OFW SysMMC thru RCM via Nyx since July, and eShop still works. I don't think they're currently checking fuse counts or low-level patches, or my console would probably be banned by now. I'm really holding out on those fuses in case folks manage to make fun new 6.2.0 exploits. ^^;

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have been booting OFW SysMMC thru RCM via Nyx since July, and eShop still works. I don't think they're currently checking fuse counts or low-level patches, or my console would probably be banned by now. I'm really holding out on those fuses in case folks manage to make fun new 6.2.0 exploits. ^^;
They probably aren't, but that could change at any moment. They also haven't really been actively banning people in like the past year or so so who knows how many people will get banned all at once when they decide to pull the trigger. Something that would make sense of them to do to coincide with the release of Sword/Shield, much like the way they started actively banning on 3DS when S/M were originally leaked.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: MyconMama

MyconMama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They probably aren't, but that could change at any moment. They also haven't really been actively banning people in like the past year or so so who knows how many people will get banned all at once when they decide to pull the trigger. Something that would make sense of them to do to coincide with the release of Sword/Shield, much like the way they started actively banning on 3DS when S/M were originally leaked.

I have to admit, I was one of the ones who stayed offline with the leaked S/M.cia, and I was laughing my ass off when the ban reports started to roll in for folks who had gone online a week early. We warned them. We really did. I didn't get banned, though, since I had the common sense to wait to go online til release day.

This whole project, all this tip-toeing around for the last year, has been in an effort to keep online functionality preserved on this console for Sword/Shield. Couldn't care less about any other online games.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have to admit, I was one of the ones who stayed offline with the leaked S/M.cia, and I was laughing my ass off when the ban reports started to roll in for folks who had gone online a week early. We warned them. We really did. I didn't get banned, though, since I had the common sense to wait to go online til release day.

This whole project, all this tip-toeing around for the last year, has been in an effort to keep online functionality preserved on this console for Sword/Shield. Couldn't care less about any other online games.
I was one of the ones that played the game with wifi enabled but by complete coincidence never actually went online in game and I was paranoid that I would end up banned anyway but luckily that never happened. My cousin was not as lucky since he immediately started using online... Who could have known they would suddenly start banning people when they had never done so before?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: