Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fetuswiibig.jpg

When last we heard from Super Meat Boy's plans for the Wii, the game simply couldn't be squeezed into the size limitations imposed on WiiWare titles. The game's creators tried to line up a publisher for a retail release, but have now given up, finding none.

"We really tried hard to make this happen but not one publisher we talked to thought a retail budget title for the Wii would be profitable at this point in the Wii's life cycle," wrote Edmund McMillen, Super Meat Boy's co-creator, "and we totally understand that."

Super Meat Boy couldn't fit inside the 40 megabyte WiiWare cap without making sacrifices that McMillen and co-creator Tommy Refenes found unacceptable, mostly in the game's soundtrack. Exploring retail possibilities in December, Team Meat found little interest. "So far, the three biggest [publishers contacted by Team Meat] say there's no money in third-party retail (on the Wii)," McMillen told Kotaku, "but we are still asking."

At the time McMillen said he and Refenes were still committed to doing a game on a Nintendo platform. It evidently won't be Super Meat Boy.
[/p]

Source

I don't think the specs for the PC version are too high, looks like you might as well try it on that. I'd say the next best possibility is a 3DS retail release.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I don't think the specs for the PC version are too high, looks like you might as well try it on that. I'd say the next best possibility is a 3DS retail release.

What? It's on PC though... I'm totally confused on what you're saying.

Anyways, it's stupid that it won't make it to the Wii. You figure with the Wiimote sideways, it'd be perfect for platformers.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
QUOTE said:

Anyways, it's stupid that it won't make it to the Wii. You figure with the Wiimote sideways, it'd be perfect for platformers.

I'm saying that if you only own a Wii and a PC, if you wanted to play the game, might as well get it on the PC now since there's no point waiting for the Wii version (since it's now dead). My bad if I worded it oddly. EDIT: Also meant that the specs for the PC version aren't too high (or so I thought) so most PCs should be able to play it.

But yeah, the Xbox controller, while I do love it, has a garbage D-Pad. Tried playing Bionic Commando: Rearmed on that thing and it was such utter shit. The PS3 controllers are probably better though, although if you want a classic D-Pad style platforming experience you're best off with the Wii.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
QUOTE said:

It's due to size limitations, though. There's nothing they could do to simply port it over intact.

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheaperd121 said:
I didn't even though there was a cap on wiiware games. Well, sucks that it won't be on there.

Apparently, devs have to squeeze the game to 40MB or below. Team Meat thought they could push the limitations and let it slide, but Ninty didn't budge. The final product was a little over 50MB, and using techniques to get it back down to 40MB (lower music quality, get rid of music in cutscenes, no dark worlds, etc.) made it a really crappy game apparently.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
ShadowSoldier said:
QUOTE said:

I'm saying that if you only own a Wii and a PC, if you wanted to play the game, might as well get it on the PC now since there's no point waiting for the Wii version (since it's now dead). My bad if I worded it oddly. EDIT: Also meant that the specs for the PC version aren't too high (or so I thought) so most PCs should be able to play it.

But yeah, the Xbox controller, while I do love it, has a garbage D-Pad. Tried playing Bionic Commando: Rearmed on that thing and it was such utter shit. The PS3 controllers are probably better though, although if you want a classic D-Pad style platforming experience you're best off with the Wii.

I'm only running an Acer SA85 windows XP 1gb of RAM and an ATI X1650 pro video card, and some of the levels studder. So there's SOME stuff that needs a bit of a push, but not much.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hopefully a 3DS version would be much more feasible, with larger internal memory and smaller screen(s) to work on, they could work into the cap for the 3DS (which I imagine is much bigger)
Still, would the controls be as good on a circle pad, or an awkwardly positioned d-pad?

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i played this on PC with a PS3 controller and i say using the analog stick was much more forgiving to your thumbs than the d-pad.
In terms of responsiveness they where both the same. The game is just damn well coded.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Hopefully a 3DS version would be much more feasible, with larger internal memory and smaller screen(s) to work on, they could work into the cap for the 3DS (which I imagine is much bigger)
Still, would the controls be as good on a circle pad, or an awkwardly positioned d-pad?
Really, the D-Pad in relation to the buttons is much similar to the 360's controller. It seems like it will be a natural transition.

Now if we only had confirmation...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
RupeeClock said:
Really, the D-Pad in relation to the buttons is much similar to the 360's controller. It seems like it will be a natural transition.

Not at all, the D-pad on the 360 pad in inwards to compensate for the thumb angle.
The 3DS's d-pad is directly above the analogue input.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah It was kinda hard to watch it go from console exclusive on Wii to everything but Wii. But no big loss for me because I know this game would have raped me. Hopefully they do get a 3DS release going. Seems like it could fit well there.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
it's wiiware piracy. I just know it.

but it's still coming for PC...so I guess that doesn't support my theory

and uh oh.

they said "life cycle at this point"

is the Wii DEAD?!

I think so
unsure.gif

Laughing Stock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woulda had a cool gimmick too. It could give you "rage points" based on how hard you smash your wiimote when you can't beat a level.

D

Deleted-236924

RupeeClock said:
Slyakin said:
RupeeClock said:

Not at all, the D-pad on the 360 pad in inwards to compensate for the thumb angle.
The 3DS's d-pad is directly above the analogue input.
You got it the other way around.
The analog stick is on the top while the D-pad is under it.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm not really disappointed. I already purchased Super Meat Boy on Steam!
yay.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:

AFAIK, it's a flash game, so no, specs aren't too high. And its free
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Or is there another version as well I don't know about?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SifJar said:
Guild McCommunist said:

AFAIK, it's a flash game, so no, specs aren't too high. And its free
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Or is there another version as well I don't know about?

It was a originally a flash game called 'Meat Boy.' But it got a sequel/Remake into a proper game and hence called 'Super Meat Boy.'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr