‮҉
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
bite_of_apple.jpg

QUOTE said:
Australian iPad buyers have been forced to buy all manner of unnecessary add-ons including screen protectors, docking stations, covers, chargers and extended warranties due to a reported Official Apple policy. Shoppers reported sales assistants said it was 'company policy' or 'Apple policy' to sell the devices only with accessories, or not at all. A store manager for Authorised Apple Reseller JB Hi-Fi said it was 'a bad policy but it was Apple's policy and they couldn't sell one without it.' Other customers were told they must 'buy a Telstra SIM because the iPad is locked to Telstra,' even though it wasn't. The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission and Consumer affairs are investigating the complaints
I don't work for JB HiFi but i do work at a dick smith (competitor) and only two stores in our state carry it because apparently you need at least a certain percentage (can't remember off-hand) of your store's inventory to be apple products or accessories. Fucking stupid :/

Source: Stormbit.net via Slashdot

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
This will just piss people off and less people will buy the iSanitaryPad, resulting in Apple's loss. Looks like the big shots of Apple really have intelligences of the fruit itself.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Raika said:
This will just piss people off and less people will buy the iSanitaryPad, resulting in Apple's loss. Looks like the big shots of Apple really have intelligences of the fruit itself.
You shouldn't insult those poor apples
lecture.gif

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt this is actually Apple. It's more likely a dick move by the store, especially if they're being guided to a certain carrier.

I'd imagine the store did this, thought it was a good idea, realised that they were morons and tried to blame it on an 'Apple policy' that is nowhere to be seen throughout the rest of the world.

If it was an Apple policy, you wouldn't be able to buy the iPad off the Apple online store without accessories in Australia. And I highly doubt that.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First no Flash support and now this.

Apple really blows. Word of this will spread and people will lose faith in Apple, this will be told of for generations to come.

Gnargle

Trophies
XP
Country
alidsl said:
Hmm... Australian buyers get shafted, not the first time, but apple are going way too far this time

HaniKazmi said:
This is one of many reasons I dont like apple. I hop that someday they'll go too far, and have people stop buying their products.

Raika said:

QUOTE(_Chaz_ @ Jun 13 2010, 12:01 PM)

Apple really blows. Word of this will spread and people will lose faith in Apple, this will be told of for generations to come.

OK. What, exactly, makes you think it's Apple who did this? All we have is mixed reports from a retailer, saying either 'company policy' or 'Apple policy.' We have no idea which one it is and to be honest, I'm more inclined to side with Apple, because I cannot imagine them making this big a dick move.

EDIT: Also, Overlord Nadrian, you are only slightly cooler than me since I joined the day after
wink.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gnargle said:
OK. What, exactly, makes you think it's Apple who did this? All we have is mixed reports from a retailer, saying either 'company policy' or 'Apple policy.' We have no idea which one it is and to be honest, I'm more inclined to side with Apple, because I cannot imagine them making this big a dick move.

EDIT: Also, Overlord Nadrian, you are only slightly cooler than me since I joined the day after
wink.gif

You're shitting me, right?

D

Deleted User

I agree with Gnargle on this one, while it definitely sucks, we don't really know whose fault this is.

_Chaz_ said:

"No Flash support" is not Apple's fault, it's Adobe's.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Takeshi said:
I agree with Gnargle on this one, while it definitely sucks, we don't really know whose fault this is.

_Chaz_ said:

No, its apple's fault. Adobe were willing to port flash, but apple dont want it because its "too bloated" according to them.

Gnargle

Trophies
XP
Country
alidsl said:
How can this NOT be apple, it just happens that all stores in Australia decide to only sell ipads with all accessories
Nope.

We have reports from one store chain. That's like saying that Linux can only run on netbooks because that's what it's sold with.

HaniKazmi said:
Takeshi said:

QUOTE(_Chaz_ @ Jun 13 2010, 01:01 PM) First no Flash support and now this.

No, its apple's fault. Adobe were willing to port flash, but apple dont want it because its "too bloated" according to them.
It's a bit of both, really. Flash is very battery intensive and Apple want to keep battery life at maximum, but at the same time, not having it does detract from the internet experience.

D

Deleted User

HaniKazmi said:
QUOTEWe aren't going to make an effort to put this on our platform. We told Adobe to show us something better, and they never did. It wasn't until we shipped the iPad that Adobe started to raise a stink about it.
source

Seeing that some bigger sites are already turning away from flash because of this, I think it was a smart move on Apple's side.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the ipad is a complete waste of $ anyway not to mention a very glitchy and shotty product from what i've read about it damn thing overheats, crashes, and has bad pixels after several days use!

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
the ipad is a complete waste of $ anyway not to mention a very glitchy and shotty product from what i've read about it damn thing overheats, crashes, and has bad pixels after several days use!

I agree, it is a very limited piece of hardware. I would much prefer to rather spend an extra 30 pounds on a HP Tablet which is an acctual computer and not limited to a 64gb harddrive (for example) - which is nothing by todays standards (well 59gb after you take off the software).

ca_michelbach

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TBH I can't stand anything about Apple (their products, their narcissistic advertisements and especially the fact the they're named after a fruit) and I was hoping that by now this story would have reached some of the main media and open more people's eyes to Apples hostile methods to dominate the personal computer market.

Unfortunatley though some people still stick by Apple, if for no other reason than that their proucts have become fashion accessories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fishy pineapple