Hacking "No Gateway 3DS card found" error

Commodore Jim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

My Gateway arrived today from https://www.playmods.co.uk/, who came recommended here.

Installation on my 9.2 original 3DS went smoothly. Formatted EmuNAND, loaded games onto my microSD card and put it in the Gateway red card, the works - followed the guides here, generally.

However, when I try to boot into either Gateway mode or Classic mode from the Gateway menu, I get the error above. It passes all diagnostic tests and I've formatted both SD cards (32GB SD card and 16GB MicroSD card) just to be certain. If I try to force an FPGA upgrade, it simply loops and then gives me error 00000006 - same if I hold the card down, so I doubt it's a loose pin. The SD cards otherwise work fine and my 3DS can read game cards perfectly.

I figure at this point that I might just have a duff red card - I've checked and it doesn't seem to be fake. However, since it passes diagnostic and the Gateway update is technically a beta, I'm worried that playmods won't replace the card. Plus, it's confusing that it passes all diagnostics (and the LED lights up solid green) if it isn't working - surely that should show up?

Any advice on what my options are here? I'm not missing something idiotic like failing to put a certain file on the red card SD card, am I?

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the contacts on the red card. The 2 on the outside and the 1 in the middle should be longer than the rest. If not your card is fake and that's why it doesn't work.

Other than that I have no idea.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Sounds like a faulty card, some people managed to fix the FPGA updating error by putting pressure on the card where the FPGA is (it seems that not being able to update the FPGA is down to a leg on the FPGA being loose and adding pressure to it will allow you to run the update), but seeking a replacement is probably the best route to go

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it seems that the site looks reputable. So, I don't think they'd send you a fake card (this is speculation though...)

What would happen to me long ago is I had an R4 for my DS Lite. Wouldn't read the card after everything (used 3 sd cards, formatted everything, reinstalled drivers, etc...) I did until I found out that there was a connection problem. Fixed it by putting pressure on the contacts with a small piece of cardboard along with the cart to press it up to the slot. Sure it looked stupid, but it worked for me. What I'm trying to say is first exhaust every possible outcome before trying to get a refund. I'm sure you've tried these already, but a second time doesn't hurt. Can't tell you how many times I've had something not work the first time and worked second time I tried *ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble ramble *****

Commodore Jim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Check the contacts on the red card. The 2 on the outside and the 1 in the middle should be longer than the rest. If not your card is fake and that's why it doesn't work.

Other than that I have no idea.
They're longer than the rest, yep.

Tried putting pressure on the cart, no difference at all. I've cleaned the pins with rubbing alcohol as a last resort, will see how that goes. Bah, going to be a pain in the arse waiting for it to go back to Cyprus, get tested, then get a new one :(

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If nothing worked, then yeah I say return for a refund. Doesn't sound like a external problem if nothing worked. Perhaps damaging during assembly? Idk.

Hopefully they'll take refunds or exchanges. Good luck man :(

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I was under the impression that you need to run Ultra on a 9.2 console and that previous versions didn't work, that Omega only works on 4.5?
Yeah, but downgrading is an option if you wanted to test an older version, but afaik the only one's you can run without updating the FPGA is 1.0-2.0b2, everything since then required you to update the gateway card FPGA

Commodore Jim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, but downgrading is an option if you wanted to test an older version, but afaik the only one's you can run without updating the FPGA is 1.0-2.0b2, everything since then required you to update the gateway card FPGA
Ah, of course. To be honest, I don't want to gamble all my retail game saves on downgrading when it seems likely that it's a hardware fault at this point - I'll wait and see what Playmods say first unless anyone can confirm that this has solved the same problem for them. Thanks, though :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ah, of course. To be honest, I don't want to gamble all my retail game saves on downgrading when it seems likely that it's a hardware fault at this point - I'll wait and see what Playmods say first unless anyone can confirm that this has solved the same problem for them. Thanks, though :)
I wouldn't say that is a realistic solution though as being limited to such a old FW. Would basically mean you have virtually no use of the majority of the gateway features, no multi rom, no emunand, no CIA, no homebrew etc etc....replacement is the best you can hope for

Commodore Jim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Playmods got back to me already and are offering to send out a new red card as soon as I can give them a tracking number for the return of this one. Definitely impressed with their service at least, will report back when I get a working card!

KEITH-IRL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Playmods got back to me already and are offering to send out a new red card as soon as I can give them a tracking number for the return of this one. Definitely impressed with their service at least, will report back when I get a working card!

You may have to wait no stock for 10 days and chinese new year at the minute ive been trying to get a gateway with no luck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome