Nintendo's next console & its OS

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Who knows? Are there any limits in Horizon which will impact games on their new hardware? Is it better to rework Horizon or make a new OS? Is it worth risking security glitches by making a new OS?

I personally am fine with the Switch's interface but can understand why it's unpopular and agree than the Wii U's and 3DS's were better.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I can see Nintendo just updating Horizon, after all it's been pretty stable (;)) for them this generation besides some of the oldest versions.

Who knows? Are there any limits in Horizon which will impact games on their new hardware? Is it better to rework Horizon or make a new OS? Is it worth risking security glitches by making a new OS?

I personally am fine with the Switch's interface but can understand why it's unpopular and agree than the Wii U's and 3DS's were better.

Doesn't the 3DS use Horizon?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I remember correctly, Horizon was originally the 3DS's OS and Nintendo recoded it from the ground up for the Switch.
Yep the switch os was originally being made by Cyanogen Inc then just a few months before the Switch was due to launch Cyanogen pulled out of their deal with Nintendo and Nintendo had to quickly scramble an os together so the 3ds os was recoded for the Switch.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you all think that their next console will also use HorizonOS? Or will they make a different OS for it? I personally hope that they'll return to the style used on 3DS/Wii U as I hate minimalism.
A major part of why Horizon is such a bare bones OS is due to security. That seems rather obvious. I mean if it wasn't for the RCM exploit the Switch would still to this day only be hackable on firmwares before 3.0 which launched in 2017. Horizon is an extremely secured OS and in it's entire history there has only been 1 exploit that has been able to gain us fully entry. They clearly uped their game with security this generation on the software side.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
A major part of why Horizon is such a bare bones OS is due to security. That seems rather obvious. I mean if it wasn't for the RCM exploit the Switch would still to this day only be hackable on firmwares before 3.0 which launched in 2017. Horizon is an extremely secured OS and in it's entire history there has only been 1 exploit that has been able to gain us fully entry. They clearly uped their game with security this generation on the software side.
I know, security, homebrew prevention and all, but I don't think that there's something wrong with going for a style similar to the Wii U.
Nothing wrong with, for example, adding music to the Nintendo eShop or using an animation for the downloads. Sure, it might impact performance a bit, but isn't Switch's hardware better than the 3DS which had all of that?

Reactions: DelfynoDurians

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mean, removing the browser from being used helped a lot I guess :P

(Yes I know it's still possible to get it to be used)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Whatever OS Nintendo go for (probably HOS again) they better do fucking themes this time…
Came here to say the same thing. The lack of themes on the Switch continues to be a disappointment

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sciresm already confirmed it'll use Horizon again, so no exploits
Post automatically merged:

Also I don't get why everyone cares about themes or music? Are you just sitting on the homescreen instead of playing games?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Post automatically merged:

Also I don't get why everyone cares about themes or music? Are you just sitting on the homescreen instead of playing games?
People like to customize their stuff, it gives a bit of personality and sense of ownership

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
How did he get this information?
Media playing and web browsing are optional extras that most users will use their smartphones for. Themes, while optional, would be nice to give some personality to the interface.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I genuinely think they are scared to add anything in fear it will expose a new exploit
Honestly, same. Probably why they didn’t add the browser either. Although, that could also be justified by pointing out that the gimmick just isn’t worth it anymore due to smartphones and tablets

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
What's ironic is that even though Nintendo has never intended for the web browser to be accessed outside of the eShop/wifi login, they're still restricting it - for example, they locked video playback and they added a time limit.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's ironic is that even though Nintendo has never intended for the web browser to be accessed outside of the eShop/wifi login, they're still restricting it - for example, they locked video playback and they added a time limit.
I mean with like 95% of exploits being run through the browser you can't be shocked

DelfynoDurians

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you all think that their next console will also use HorizonOS? Or will they make a different OS for it? I personally hope that they'll return to the style used on 3DS/Wii U as I hate minimalism.

I'm fine with the minimalist menu layout... so long as themes return.
Whatever OS Nintendo go for (probably HOS again) they better do fucking themes this time…
Yes!! I kept thinking for ages that the Switch would get themes, there's even a menu for them in the System Settings but it's only for Light & Dark modes :sad:

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fine with the minimalist menu layout... so long as themes return.

Yes!! I kept thinking for ages that the Switch would get themes, there's even a menu for them in the System Settings but it's only for Light & Dark modes :sad:
I said it before and I'll say it again. They have not added anything entirely due to the fear of messing up and giving us some kind of exploit.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I said it before and I'll say it again. They have not added anything entirely due to the fear of messing up and giving us some kind of exploit.
Okay, but realistically - they've already added folders, but they did so in a half-assed way and put them into a menu which you aren't able to access if you don't have more than X games (don't remember the exact number).

I can't think of a single potential avenue where a *proper* folder feature (folders straight on the HOME menu without additional BS) could possibly allow for an exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?