Hacking Nintendont

LicentiousHowler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, tried to do as much searching and reading as possible before coming here, so hopefully I won't disappoint, but I'm having trouble with Nintendont's features to read disc backups--testing on a Wii old enough and capable of reading backups, of course (and yes, I know that this is a very old-school way of doing things, and I'm sure many of you will wonder why I don't just load through USB).

The issue pertains only to multi-game isos arranged onto DVDs--Nintendont recognizes all of my burns as GCOS multi-game isos and boots into the game selection menu just fine, but ultimately when it comes time to select, I see the games on display highlighted in red (if there's any significance to that?), seemingly recognized correctly with their correct IDs (eg. SSB:M>GALE01), but when I press the A button... nothing happens.

Nothing crashes or softlocks, I can still move up and down the menu just fine, but pressing A does nothing, and doesn't appear to make any attempt to load anything either judging by the lack of sound from the Wii. I tried pressing it on a Wiimote, and all of the buttons, a GC controller--every button, and even plugging the GC controller into the other ports just to be sure I wasn't missing anything--same behavior every time.

2 of the games booted and seemed to work fine when burned on their own (eg. 1 GC game on a DVD), but as soon as I made a GCOS multi-game iso and need to go into the menus, I seem unable to select--I even tried a DVD with just 2 games, same story.

I even tried booting through USB Loader GX and tweaking settings such as memory card emulation--no dice, same results.

Every multi-game iso was made using the GameCube MultiGame ISO Creator v3.5.4F+ (the later version isn't recommended for softmods for whatever reasons), but I'd be willing to try alternatives if it comes to that. (also, games were set to the USA region on my NTSC US Wii, nothing was shrunk.)

So ultimately what I'm asking here is this reproducible behavior or am I somehow doing something wrong?

If it's worth mentioning, Neogamma seems to try and boot the individual games on a multi-disc (but I didn't bother installing DIOS MIOS, so it just reboots the Wii--same for the single-game-on-DVD isos too--no surprise)

Tested on the latest version of Nintendont (4.436 loader), with games that I ripped myself using CleanRip, burned onto Taiyo Yuden (YUDEN000- T02-00) and Verbatim (CMC MAG. AM3) media (the TY is bitset to -R). I could give information about some of the homebrew installed in this Wii too, if you believe that would be relevant (but it's pretty conservative--mostly just Bootmii and a few cios managers/installers).

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you happened to. My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Question, is Swiss compatible with Nintendont at all? Just kind of curious as I wanted to play around with some GameCube homebrew and just want to make sure before diving in.
nintendont cant run gc homebrew at all.

UM can the mario kart gp 1 and 2 and AX card feature work?
the card save system works on mk gp1,2 and AX.

Hey, tried to do as much searching and reading as possible before coming here, so hopefully I won't disappoint, but I'm having trouble with Nintendont's features to read disc backups--testing on a Wii old enough and capable of reading backups, of course (and yes, I know that this is a very old-school way of doing things, and I'm sure many of you will wonder why I don't just load through USB).

The issue pertains only to multi-game isos arranged onto DVDs--Nintendont recognizes all of my burns as GCOS multi-game isos and boots into the game selection menu just fine, but ultimately when it comes time to select, I see the games on display highlighted in red (if there's any significance to that?), seemingly recognized correctly with their correct IDs (eg. SSB:M>GALE01), but when I press the A button... nothing happens.

Nothing crashes or softlocks, I can still move up and down the menu just fine, but pressing A does nothing, and doesn't appear to make any attempt to load anything either judging by the lack of sound from the Wii. I tried pressing it on a Wiimote, and all of the buttons, a GC controller--every button, and even plugging the GC controller into the other ports just to be sure I wasn't missing anything--same behavior every time.

2 of the games booted and seemed to work fine when burned on their own (eg. 1 GC game on a DVD), but as soon as I made a GCOS multi-game iso and need to go into the menus, I seem unable to select--I even tried a DVD with just 2 games, same story.

I even tried booting through USB Loader GX and tweaking settings such as memory card emulation--no dice, same results.

Every multi-game iso was made using the GameCube MultiGame ISO Creator v3.5.4F+ (the later version isn't recommended for softmods for whatever reasons), but I'd be willing to try alternatives if it comes to that. (also, games were set to the USA region on my NTSC US Wii, nothing was shrunk.)

So ultimately what I'm asking here is this reproducible behavior or am I somehow doing something wrong?

If it's worth mentioning, Neogamma seems to try and boot the individual games on a multi-disc (but I didn't bother installing DIOS MIOS, so it just reboots the Wii--same for the single-game-on-DVD isos too--no surprise)

Tested on the latest version of Nintendont (4.436 loader), with games that I ripped myself using CleanRip, burned onto Taiyo Yuden (YUDEN000- T02-00) and Verbatim (CMC MAG. AM3) media (the TY is bitset to -R). I could give information about some of the homebrew installed in this Wii too, if you believe that would be relevant (but it's pretty conservative--mostly just Bootmii and a few cios managers/installers).

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you happened to. My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.
im guessing the multiisos just arent compatible, i remenber hearing that nintendont had some issues playing multiisos discs.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried Nintendont via USBLoader GX, and it worked like a charm with Mario Kart Double Dash (though some cheat codes did not work at all; can anyone look into that?). But for curiosity, I used to shrink my games with GCMUtility (which still work with Nintendon't), but I'm having doubts about shrinking them now with GCIT. Because of the alignment that it uses, will it affect the offsets of the game data? Will cheat codes be affected by it? What are the advantages over GCMUtility?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red means the image isn't aligned to a 4-byte boundary. Due to the way I implemented support for large disc images (shift by 2), the images must be aligned to 4 bytes.

Your multi-game disc might be created with an older program that didn't use 4-byte alignment.

I'll look through this myself later. May need to add some workaround to support unaligned images or something. Do note that even if I get unaligned images working again, there seems to be some other weird issues when running a multi-game image from DVD-R, including random crashes. (It works fine from an HDD, though.)

Reactions: DarthDub

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just tried Nintendont via USBLoader GX, and it worked like a charm with Mario Kart Double Dash (though some cheat codes did not work at all; can anyone look into that?). But for curiosity, I used to shrink my games with GCMUtility (which still work with Nintendon't), but I'm having doubts about shrinking them now with GCIT. Because of the alignment that it uses, will it affect the offsets of the game data? Will cheat codes be affected by it? What are the advantages over GCMUtility?
you shouldnt shrink games with gcit at all, your lucky mkdd doesnt have audiostreaming, any game with audiostreaming will crash as soon as its launched if you shrink them with gcit, if you must shrink for whatever reason use dmtoolbox and choose to keep the 32k alligment option to keep the iso alligned.

About cheats, some cheats just dont plain work on nintendont becuase nintendont had to do some compromises,it moves some adresses around due to several stuff found, so yeah gc isos dont have some part of the adresses on the same place as the gc did, there isnt much that can de done about it tough, so what works works, what doesnt doesnt.

Last edited by pedro702,

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a question about this Mayflash GameCube Controller Adapter.
It seems to turn a GC controller into a Wii Classic Controller (Pro) to make it usable for all Wii games that support the Classic Controller.

Now my question is, if I use it for GC games through Nintendont on vWii.. would it be possible get it recognized as a normal GC controller including the analog L/R triggers?

I own 4 Mayflash adapters and use it to plug my GC controllers into the Wii Remotes. It works great and it's the only way I play my GC games on the Wii-U via vWii. No problems at all with it. And yes, the analog triggers work great. Super Mario Sunshine gets many hours of play on my WiiU!! :D

Reactions: Aglaophotis

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you shouldnt shrink games with gcit at all, your lucky mkdd doesnt have audiostreaming, any game with audiostreaming will crash as soon as its launched if you shrink them with gcit, if you must shrink for whatever reason use dmtoolbox and choose to keep the 32k alligment option to keep the iso alligned.

About cheats, some cheats just dont plain work on nintendont becuase nintendont had to do some compromises,it moves some adresses around due to several stuff found, so yeah gc isos dont have some part of the adresses on the same place as the gc did, there isnt much that can de done about it tough, so what works works, what doesnt doesnt.
Yeah, about audiostreaming, my iso of Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex plays fine despite that (used GCMUtility). That's why I was wondering. Yeah, I also learned that codes that use button inputs get affected by the loader, which makes me wonder, is there a way to automatically convert that part of the code that uses button input to a Wii equivalent, mainly for native controller users?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, about audiostreaming, my iso of Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex plays fine despite that (used GCMUtility). That's why I was wondering. Yeah, I also learned that codes that use button inputs get affected by the loader, which makes me wonder, is there a way to automatically convert that part of the code that uses button input to a Wii equivalent, mainly for native controller users?
nope and not just button inputs but some memory codes will also not work since a portion of the games memory is moved around too.the button hacks work if you are on a wii with gc ports and choose native mode, wich will only let gc controller trough the wii original gc ports work.

Maybe you got luck on crash bandicoot and only brooke afew musics here or there.

lego6245

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by latest you mean 4.436 right? and no idea what a -1 version of nintendont is, i remenber some games where nintendont couldnt exit like spider man 2 among others, also its always better to delete your ninconfig.bin when changing nintendont versions and maybe try redownloading nintendont boot dol sometimes those dols dont pass correctly to the usb/sd.
Yes, I also tried 4.435. That's what I meant by latest - 1.

LicentiousHowler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red means the image isn't aligned to a 4-byte boundary. Due to the way I implemented support for large disc images (shift by 2), the images must be aligned to 4 bytes.

Your multi-game disc might be created with an older program that didn't use 4-byte alignment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Honestly, I could probably live with just 1 GC game per DVD for now until I can work up some hard drive solution (1 USB port seems dead, so it could be a little difficult to power the drive), but it was good to verify whether or not I was just missing something simple and how I should proceed forward.

I'll look through this myself later. May need to add some workaround to support unaligned images or something.

It's up to you, of course, but don't feel any huge pressure or anything--I'm guessing these are pretty niche features these days and most people use HDDs or SD.

(The only reason I brought it up is because the feature is listed on the OP and the use of DVD media in general on the git repository.)

Thanks for your work on this software! It's doing me a lot of good.

alonzondavis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im having trouble trying to load my gc saves from the sd card. The saves folder is there with all the saves I have. I have them indiviual, one mem card per game.

It loads fine in usb gx loader on wii, but not wii u. Is there something missing that I have to do in order to get them to work on wii u as well?

Also not sure if this would be more a problem, but I forget what sized mem cards where used on the saves. The default has them on 251, but it wont load it. I changed it to 59 blocks and same thing. But it works when it feels. Like it because the setting of it on 59 works on wii and sometime 251 works too(like if i leave irt to the default settings.

alonzondavis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post a screen shot of your saves folder?

This is how it currently looks on my save folder, I noticed a few of them have no modified date on them, does that mean its corrupt or something?

Attachments

• IMG_0179.PNG
    IMG_0179.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 206

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: