Hacking Nintendont - wiimote & nunchuck support discussions

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do what Farowe suggested, up the speed of X axis to match the speed of Y axis. Even if for me x axis is ok as is, personally i can adapt so i do not mind at all :). After all, if we don't try it we don't know how well it can work. In the worst case, i just turn down the turning speed from in game options.

So to sum up, Howard: please make it so that the same wiimote horizontal movement results in more movement in the game. IDK what percentage of speedup is needed, but a +30% would be a good start.

When you guys test these speedups remember lots of games dont have an adjustment. so test them in a game that dosent have the adjustment. If you test in a game with an adjustment try it with the adjustment turned off. Make sure to report the state of the adjustment.

Also make the horizontal deadzone a little smaller IF possible, otherwise leave it as is (meaning that in game X movement starts as soon as even a small X movement of wiimote is registered

That is correct. To remind people, that turning speed and deadzone are two different things.
Deadzone is explained in the pic below
medal-of-honor-heroes-2-20070830061040333-000.jpg

and turning speed is how fast the camera turns when you point OUTSIDE of the deadzone.

Seeing as Gamecube fps were made with shitty dual analog controls in mind, deadzone is non existant and turning speed is upped to compensate. So we should do the same in this case.

The definition of dead zone I have been using is very different from yours. I have been using it from the controllers point of view. Dead zone is an area around the center within which any movement is reported back to the game as still in the exact center with no movement. This is needed on joysticks whare the spring may not always return the joystick back to exactly the same point.

mauriciojk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am Brazilian and I am following this forum and wanted to know if you have way to go for me this beta testing on my Wii : D

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am Brazilian and I am following this forum and wanted to know if you have way to go for me this beta testing on my Wii : D
The beta is currently open to those who donate.
The idea idea is that those that want nunchuck + wiimote enough to donate will be able to see the progress for them selves and they will give the best feedback.

D

Deleted User

I have some friends coming over and all I have are Wiimotes and nunchucks and we want to play melee. The current controls work OK for it but arent optimal. If one of you guys could edit the file so it matches Brawls wiimote and nunchuck controlls, so we could use it for Melee, that would be fantastic.
These are Brawls wiimote+nunchuck controls:
Control Stick - Move/Crouch/Tap Jump
C - Jump
Z - Shield
A - Standard Attack
B - Special Attack
D-pad Up - Jump
D-pad side - Grab
D-pad down - Shield
1 Button - Up Taunt
2 button - Down Taunt
1+2 Buttons - Side Taunt
+ Button - Pause
- Button - (none)

A million thanks if anyone could make this possible.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some friends coming over and all I have are Wiimotes and nunchucks and we want to play melee. The current controls work OK for it but arent optimal. If one of you guys could edit the file so it matches Brawls wiimote and nunchuck controlls, so we could use it for Melee, that would be fantastic.
These are Brawls wiimote+nunchuck controls:
Control Stick - Move/Crouch/Tap Jump
C - Jump
Z - Shield
A - Standard Attack
B - Special Attack
D-pad Up - Jump
D-pad side - Grab
D-pad down - Shield
1 Button - Up Taunt
2 button - Down Taunt
1+2 Buttons - Side Taunt
+ Button - Pause
- Button - (none)

A million thanks if anyone could make this possible.
I looked up what the wii version and the gamecube version used for controlls last time you asked about this game.
The wii version has configurable controls. The sites I looked at had different sugested configurations for for wiimote + nunchuck no one was happy with any of them because their arent enough buttons.
The gamecube version needs even more buttons because it has things you can do on the controller that the wii version dosent. such as analog shield control. How hard you press the trigger controlls shield strength and duration, how fast you move the cStick does different things. I dont think their is a good way to map the controls.

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
When you guys test these speedups remember lots of games dont have an adjustment. so test them in a game that dosent have the adjustment. If you test in a game with an adjustment try it with the adjustment turned off. Make sure to report the state of the adjustment.

That is very important. On the GC there are the following FPS games that play on Nintendont and i've tried:
  • James Bond Agent Under Fire
  • Die Hard Vendetta
  • Serious Sam
  • Red Faction II
  • Turok Evolution
  • Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
  • XIII
  • Timesplitters 2
  • Timesplitters 3
  • King Kong
  • Medal of Honor Frontline
  • Medal of Honor European Assault
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight 2
Only the bolded ones have no in game sensitivity editingso those are the ones we must test when checking the upcoming beta 6 with upped IR X speed.

The definition of dead zone I have been using is very different from yours. I have been using it from the controllers point of view. Dead zone is an area around the center within which any movement is reported back to the game as still in the exact center with no movement. This is needed on joysticks whare the spring may not always return the joystick back to exactly the same point.

So less X dead zone for beta 6 would mean that IR starts responding sooner (not faster) in any horizontal movement, correct?

BTW, i cruised through almost all my GC fps library again last night, a special mention to Timesplitters 2 Siberia on hard (this level is infamous on hard) with beta 5, naggers IR controls are just so awesome for me personally that games really become much more precise and quick.

If there is interest, i can upload savegames for GC fps as well as control configs for each that work ideally with IR config of beta 5.

Finally, a heads up to people wanting to play with the NC beta. The OP of this thread has been updated with links to donate to Howard & Abz that gave use this great mod of Nintendont. If anyone wants to participate in the beta, go there.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
When the mod is ready you guys could make available for free without donations? Because I'm not good situation and I am underage.

once ready, It is planned to be implemented officially. Be patient :)

Reactions: ReyMC

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I tested some more games that work great with naggers IR last night:
Hitman 2 (although it runs at 1,5X speed) controls excellently! Earned a silent assassin award on Anathema.
Terminator 3 also controls beautifully. Beat the first 3 levels on hard.
I even gave Call of Duty 2:Big Red One of GC a shot (runs at1,5X speed currently), and it controls really nice, as if it was a part of Wii games library all along :) Beat first level on hard.

Freedom Fighters (runs at 1,5X speed) unfortunately controls like poo, but that game is unplayable anyway by nintendont atm.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those who donated should have recieved

Nintendont Nunchuck Beta 5
Based on 2.170

IR x axis movement is about 30% faster.

IR xaxis skips over a dead zone +/- 8 around the center. Because this is trying to skip something that could be different in each game we need to test it in as many games as possable ( or until we find one it dosent work in ) Make sure you can still face directly forward. Make sure that you can still point to all positions to the left and right of center. Make sure movement dosent drift around the center. Make sure movement doesnt speed up around the center.

When using tilt for left & right triggers reduced the right tilt required for fully pressed right trigger.

A bunch of internal changes because 2.170 and 2.169 booth broke nunchuck

Reactions: Ramzee and VinsCool

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok so after running again my GC fps collection & a couple of GC TPS with the latest beta 5 and using naggers IR config:
  • King Kong
  • Medal of Honor Frontline
  • Medal of Honor European Assault
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight 2
  • Terminator 3
  • Call of Duty 2 Big Red One
  • Hitman 2 Silent Assasin
  • Timesplitters 2
  • James Bond Agent Under Fire
  • Serious Sam
  • Red Faction II
  • Turok Evolution
  • XIII (i had to tinker with in game sensitivity for this btw, i got it on max and then i had no issues)
  • Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
  • Timesplitters 2
  • Timesplitters 3
Those work even better than the already great naggers IR of beta 4! No drifting, no accidental movement, really responsive and fast gameplay. IMHO IR is p e r f e c t as is in beta 5 for these games.
  • Die Hard Vendetta
In DHV the cursor twitches a bit left and then a bit right when the wiimote points directly at the screen center and cannot stay on the center of the screen. I think it is cause DHV has a really small deadzone itself. I' ll stick with beta 4 naggers IR with this one, so no problem all USB loaders let us use multiple nintendont loader.dols anyway.
Also tried Call of Duty 1:Finest Hour but the buttons do not register on this one. IR and analog do, but that's it.

A really really small request: could nunchuck tilt be disabled on naggers IR? If not, it's ok.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those who donated should have recieved

Nintendont Nunchuck Beta 6

The email program messed up The attachment is correct. It isnt another copy of beta 5

Based on 2.171

Based on the feedback from beta 5 in die hard
In beta 5 the IR x axis skips over a dead zone +/- 8 around the center.
This one goes -10 -9 -8 -6 -1 0 1 6 8 9 10
Test it in die hard if it works perfectly try a couple of others to make sure they still work

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Allright ran beta 6 with Die Hard Vendetta, middle screen pointing of wiimote now only produces a really slight left right flick when looking straight ahead. So i think we should do a test with deadzone -12 to +12 to see this totally eliminated. No issues on other games from the list above with beta 6.

Also, in naggers fps config, i think nc tilt should be disabled only in this config (or mapped to 1 button, so when 1 is held or pressed, NC tilt is analog GC triggers). In Die Hard for example, when L is even lightly pressed, you are stationary and only lean or aim, so accidental nc tilts can kill you when you are gunned down and suddenly stop dead in your tracks (while moving around i use c held with d-pad for the inventory or zoom in/zoom out and nc tilt intervenes sometimes, either shooting when not meaning to or immobilizing my character).

Or when sneaking around, getting ready to squeeze the trigger on an enemys head, try to zoom in (GC dpad up) and accidentally tilt nc slightly right, that causes unwanted shots by the player.

This happens in games that use GC dpad for zoom in/out or inventory for GC fps: TS2, TS3, RF II, DHV, and Hitman 2.

P.S.: I see in the Nintendont main thread that r2.171 is 007 EoN compatible. I'll also download that and run it with NC beta 6 as well, to provide feedback for this game as well :)

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the IR values -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5
Beta 5 went -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5
Beta 6 went -16 -15 -13 -12 -11 10 11 12 13 15 16 (+/- 8 * 1.25)
Beta 7 went -10 -9 -8 -6 -1 0 1 6 8 9 10 (>1 +/- 3 * 1.34)

If I am understanding what your saying beta 6 still dosent allow enough space around dead center to keep pointing straight ahead. so it would need something like -10 -9 -8 -2 -1 0 1 2 8 9 10 (>2 +/- 3 * 1.34)
What ever we change we need to maintain 0 and directly around it to be able to stop turning an look directly forward.

Reactions: nakata6790

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If I am understanding what your saying beta 6 still dosent allow enough space around dead center to keep pointing straight ahead. so it would need something like -10 -9 -8 -2 -1 0 1 2 8 9 10 (>2 +/- 3 * 1.34)
What ever we change we need to maintain 0 and directly around it to be able to stop turning an look directly forward.

Yes i though it was like a horizontal line stretching from -10 (left) to +10 (right) on beta 6 (if we suppose that 0 is the absolute center of the screen for X axis) so we should just widen that a little bit, from -12 to +12. Sorry for not expressing it correctly, i am accustomed to wii bounding boxes for IR so that's why i thought in that manner :)

Btw please keep in mind the nc tilt suggestion, only for the fps config, it's the only slight blemish of an otherwise sublime control method for GC fps ;)

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i though it was like a horizontal line stretching from -10 (left) to +10 (right) on beta 6 (if we suppose that 0 is the absolute center of the screen for X axis) so we should just widen that a little bit, from -12 to +12. Sorry for not expressing it correctly, i am accustomed to wii bounding boxes for IR so that's why i thought in that manner :)

Btw please keep in mind the nc tilt suggestion, only for the fps config, it's the only slight blemish of an otherwise sublime control method for GC fps ;)
While we are only talking about horizontal movement thinkinking about it as points on a line ranging from -128 to +127 with 0 in the center is the simplest way. Anything > about +/- 100 is ignored. (its actually the radius of an octagon inside a circle so on diagnals much more is ignored) The data I was giving is just how the 11 center points from the ir is transalted on to the center of the line. Normally gamecube games ignore these center points because centering of the joystick is done by a spring which will be impercise and we dont want things happening because the spring didnt put us directly on the center. The games deadzone will always bee their. We are trying to feed it values that that always lie outside the deadzone unless we want it centered.

The question I need answered is is the twitching you see around the exact center whare no movement occures or around the edge of the deadzone whare movement just slowed down to a stop.

Reactions: nakata6790

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff