Hacking Nintendont Themes and Custom Mods

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great to hear everything works! Nope, sorry, MMMod never featured background music. But @CrisMod's build did. To be honest, I haven't looked into adding background music support yet. I can look into it in the next months.
Ah that must be where I was pulling that thought from. I'd love if ya did look into supporting BGM, but legit, it's totally cool if you have no ingest on adding it as well. It's very much an unnecessary request, and I recognize that lol.

TastifulBurger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah that must be where I was pulling that thought from. I'd love if ya did look into supporting BGM, but legit, it's totally cool if you have no ingest on adding it as well. It's very much an unnecessary request, and I recognize that lol.
It would be pretty cool to have the tracks from the Gamecube Interactive Demo Disks played randomly on boot as you are choosing the game you want to play. One radical way to bring back those early 2000s vibes!
Bonus points if the UI sounds for making a selection and moving the highlighter could be copied over.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@send0r would you happen to have your most recent build of Nintendont Mmmod that didn't yet introduce the feature to change what port the GamePad is connected as. Don't quite understand it, but while that feature works as intended on my individually installed Nintendont channel, when I play a GameCube inject, the GamePad controller is always recognized as being connected in port 2 no matter which port I set it as in the options. I did find that going back to previous versions of Nintendont for these injects, that didn't yet introduce the feature, the GamePad will be recognized as in port 1, but then this older version of Nintendont I'm then using lacks the custom background for the main menu, and doesn't have the individual load screens per game.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@send0r would you happen to have your most recent build of Nintendont Mmmod that didn't yet introduce the feature to change what port the GamePad is connected as. Don't quite understand it, but while that feature works as intended on my individually installed Nintendont channel, when I play a GameCube inject, the GamePad controller is always recognized as being connected in port 2 no matter which port I set it as in the options. I did find that going back to previous versions of Nintendont for these injects, that didn't yet introduce the feature, the GamePad will be recognized as in port 1, but then this older version of Nintendont I'm then using lacks the custom background for the main menu, and doesn't have the individual load screens per game.
that is becuase for some reason when autobooting injects the gamepad slot doesnt get readed so i did that on porpose.

When started without autoboot nintendont channel you can pick any port you want.

when started from autoboot injects gamepad will always be player 2 if another controller is detected like wiiugc adapter or bt controllers like wiiupro/wiimote+cc or any hid device.

Reactions: send0r

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is becuase for some reason when autobooting injects the gamepad slot doesnt get readed so i did that on porpose.

When started without autoboot nintendont channel you can pick any port you want.

when started from autoboot injects gamepad will always be player 2 if another controller is detected like wiiugc adapter or bt controllers like wiiupro/wiimote+cc or any hid device.
Well whatever the reason, using an older build before that option came around works, so if Send0r could provide the last Mmmod build before the feature was added, then that would be amazing. Else I can continue to use a non-Mmmod version instead, it works, I just like how much nicer Mmmod looks, lol. Also, wish there was somewhere we could access previous Mmmod builds, but I can't find them if they are online somewhere.

EDIT: Nevermind, amazingly, I had a version of Mmmod from before the GamePad port option was added buried away in my downloads folder. And, to my joy, it works exactly as intended, autobooting the game of choice and the GamePad is connected as port 1, and I have all the latest desired Nintendont features like BBA Emulation, and the custom backgrounds and load screens. Don't need a thing after all. Cheers!

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

send0r

Trophies
Website
www.send0r.de
XP
Country
Germany
It would be pretty cool to have the tracks from the Gamecube Interactive Demo Disks played randomly on boot as you are choosing the game you want to play. One radical way to bring back those early 2000s vibes!
Bonus points if the UI sounds for making a selection and moving the highlighter could be copied over.

Pretty cool idea! Currently, I have some other things to do. I'll try looking into it.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone test for me that they can launch GameCube games through USB Loader GX with @send0r 's version of Nintendont? I can launch games no problem directly from Nintendont but I get a black screen when launching them through USB Loader GX. The weird thing is that if I overwrite the boot.dol file with the official Nintendont boot.dol then everything works fine. Not sure what would be different between the modded version and the official version that would prevent it working through USB Loader GX. Thanks.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found an older version of Nintendont MasterMod (Version V.3.400 built May 25th, 2016) and used that boot.dol file. That file loads up Nintendont just fine from both the HomeBrew Channel and through USB Loader GX. The official Nintendont boot.dol loads fine from both USB Loader GX and Homebrew Channel as well. However, when I try to replace the boot.dol with the latest one from @send0r it won't load through USB Loader GX but will load through the Homebrew Channel. Can anyone else test this out for me and see if they get similar results. Thank you.

JasonH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found an older version of Nintendont MasterMod (Version V.3.400 built May 25th, 2016) and used that boot.dol file. That file loads up Nintendont just fine from both the HomeBrew Channel and through USB Loader GX. The official Nintendont boot.dol loads fine from both USB Loader GX and Homebrew Channel as well. However, when I try to replace the boot.dol with the latest one from @send0r it won't load through USB Loader GX but will load through the Homebrew Channel. Can anyone else test this out for me and see if they get similar results. Thank you.
Im not entirely certain because it has been awhile but i recall running into a similar issue years ago and it was the Forwarder that was the problem. Dont ask me why.
USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT.wad

send0r

Trophies
Website
www.send0r.de
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there, I hope everyone's doing fine!
Just wanted to drop that MMMod r499 is only and ready to be downloaded (https://send0r.de/MMMod.html).
Post automatically merged:

Can someone test for me that they can launch GameCube games through USB Loader GX with @send0r 's version of Nintendont? I can launch games no problem directly from Nintendont but I get a black screen when launching them through USB Loader GX. The weird thing is that if I overwrite the boot.dol file with the official Nintendont boot.dol then everything works fine. Not sure what would be different between the modded version and the official version that would prevent it working through USB Loader GX. Thanks.
Sorry for the ultra-late reply. Just tested WindWaker PAL booting from USB Loader GX without problems. Could you provide some information on which USB Loader GX version you used and which games don't start?

The next reply will be much faster. I checked my mail account's spam settings and should get notified by new messages again.

Reactions: johw

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, I hope everyone's doing fine!
Just wanted to drop that MMMod r499 is only and ready to be downloaded (https://send0r.de/MMMod.html).
Post automatically merged:

Sorry for the ultra-late reply. Just tested WindWaker PAL booting from USB Loader GX without problems. Could you provide some information on which USB Loader GX version you used and which games don't start?

The next reply will be much faster. I checked my mail account's spam settings and should get notified by new messages again.
No worries man. Glad to see you're back though and offering to help. I should be able to test it out again and give you some more information on Tuesday next week.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd love it if Nintendont itself wouldn't be so damn ugly. Like the ability to just hide/toggle unimportant information most users don't need or want on-screen. Making it a bit more "user-friendly" and not so "dev-disaster". The background themes and colors are a good start though, bravo on this mod.

Xcali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Is the background images compatible with the original nintendont?. i put NinLegacy.png in apps/nintendont/ but didn't load (i did press B)
NinLegacy.png

ghostserverd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance I could get a hand building nintendont?

Here's the steps I've taken

1. Install devkitPro via the graphical installer for Windows mentioned here https://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started
2. Download the following from the mediafire archive listed in the readme https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j0juqb5vvd6z5/devkitPro_archives

Code:
devkitARM r53-1
devkitPPC r35-2
libOGC 1.8.23-1

3. Launch MSYS
4. cd to my Download directory and install the above packages like follows

Code:
pacman -U devkitARM-r53-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U devkitPPC-r35-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U libogc-1.8.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

4. Downloaded Nintendont-MMMod-old (because despite the name, it appears to be the most up to date with FIX94's nintendont)
5. From within the Nintendont-MMMod-old directory, run

Code:
make forced

As far as I can tell, I'm getting past

Code:
make -C multidol
make -C resetstub
make -C fatfs -f Makefile.ppc
make -C kernel/asm

but during the build of fatfs ARM, I get a failure with no visible error message, making it difficult to troubleshoot on my own.

Code:
 ASSEMBLE    tcp_send.S
 STRIP       tcp_send.elf
 BIN2H       tcp_send.bin
 ASSEMBLE    tcp_stat.S
 STRIP       tcp_stat.elf
 BIN2H       tcp_stat.bin
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/<user>/Downloads/Nintendont-MMMod-old/kernel/asm'

Building FatFS library for ARM

make -C fatfs -f Makefile.arm
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/<user>/Downloads/Nintendont-MMMod-old/fatfs'
CC      ff-arm.o
make[1]: *** [Makefile.arm:42: ff-arm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/<user>/Downloads/Nintendont-MMMod-old/fatfs'
make: *** [Makefile:45: fatfs/libfat-arm.a] Error 2

Is there some dependency I'm missing here? Or some other version of devkitARM I should be using maybe? Thank for any help!

send0r

Trophies
Website
www.send0r.de
XP
Country
Germany
Any chance I could get a hand building nintendont?

Here's the steps I've taken

1. Install devkitPro via the graphical installer for Windows mentioned here https://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started
2. Download the following from the mediafire archive listed in the readme https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j0juqb5vvd6z5/devkitPro_archives

Code:
devkitARM r53-1
devkitPPC r35-2
libOGC 1.8.23-1

3. Launch MSYS
4. cd to my Download directory and install the above packages like follows

Code:
pacman -U devkitARM-r53-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U devkitPPC-r35-2-any.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U libogc-1.8.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

4. Downloaded Nintendont-MMMod-old (because despite the name, it appears to be the most up to date with FIX94's nintendont)
5. From within the Nintendont-MMMod-old directory, run

Code:
make forced

As far as I can tell, I'm getting past

Code:
make -C multidol
make -C resetstub
make -C fatfs -f Makefile.ppc
make -C kernel/asm

but during the build of fatfs ARM, I get a failure with no visible error message, making it difficult to troubleshoot on my own.

Code:
 ASSEMBLE    tcp_send.S
 STRIP       tcp_send.elf
 BIN2H       tcp_send.bin
 ASSEMBLE    tcp_stat.S
 STRIP       tcp_stat.elf
 BIN2H       tcp_stat.bin
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/<user>/Downloads/Nintendont-MMMod-old/kernel/asm'

Building FatFS library for ARM

make -C fatfs -f Makefile.arm
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/<user>/Downloads/Nintendont-MMMod-old/fatfs'
CC      ff-arm.o
make[1]: *** [Makefile.arm:42: ff-arm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/<user>/Downloads/Nintendont-MMMod-old/fatfs'
make: *** [Makefile:45: fatfs/libfat-arm.a] Error 2

Is there some dependency I'm missing here? Or some other version of devkitARM I should be using maybe? Thank for any help!
I haven't compiled nintendont on windows for years, so I cannot help with that. But I think you have to use Build.bat instead of using make directly.

ghostserverd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't compiled nintendont on windows for years, so I cannot help with that. But I think you have to use Build.bat instead of using make directly.
Build.bat is just

Code:
make forced windows=1

Running with that results in the same behavior.

I did manage to get it built however. I switched to Linux (github codespaces actually which is pretty neat).

I noticed that the devkitpro packages linked in the readme don't have linux binaries in them (e.g. powerpc-eabi-gcc is missing but powerpc-eabi-gcc.exe is there).

There are a bunch of linux packages hosted here https://wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/ so I was able to download the linux packages I needed.

However, for devkitPPC, I wasn't able to get r35-2. I found r35-1 for linux here https://wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/devkitPPC/r35/ but there's no r35-2 for linux.

I'm not certain that it makes a difference since it seems to build and execute just fine building with r35-1, but I'm curious if you happen to have a linux version of r35-2 that you use when compiling Nintendont. Or do you use different versions of the devkits all together?

send0r

Trophies
Website
www.send0r.de
XP
Country
Germany
Build.bat is just

Code:
make forced windows=1

Running with that results in the same behavior.

I did manage to get it built however. I switched to Linux (github codespaces actually which is pretty neat).

I noticed that the devkitpro packages linked in the readme don't have linux binaries in them (e.g. powerpc-eabi-gcc is missing but powerpc-eabi-gcc.exe is there).

There are a bunch of linux packages hosted here https://wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/ so I was able to download the linux packages I needed.

However, for devkitPPC, I wasn't able to get r35-2. I found r35-1 for linux here https://wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/devkitPPC/r35/ but there's no r35-2 for linux.

I'm not certain that it makes a difference since it seems to build and execute just fine building with r35-1, but I'm curious if you happen to have a linux version of r35-2 that you use when compiling Nintendont. Or do you use different versions of the devkits all together?
Great to hear you got it to compile.

I'm using r35. At least powerpc-eabi-gcc --version tells me that I do. It was the last version before the gcc update that I had lying around on an old computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.