Homebrew Nintendont and a question about video modes

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I was messing with my setup yesterday and I noticed that when I boot games with video mode "Force NTSC" I get a much sharper picture compared to launching games with "None" or "Auto" video modes, even if using PAL games (of course, when working at 60Hz).

Is this intentional? I also saw that there are "Deflicker" video modes. Do None and Auto apply said Deflicker? I haven't tried it yet, but the difference in picture would make sense if it did.
I've been using Nintendont for years and this is the first time I paid attention to it, it makes a pretty noticeable difference.

I'll test it a bit more when i get the time but I wanted to ask in case anyone can offer any information, mostly for curiosity's sake.

Reactions: Alexander1970

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was messing with my setup yesterday and I noticed that when I boot games with video mode "Force NTSC" I get a much sharper picture compared to launching games with "None" or "Auto" video modes, even if using PAL games (of course, when working at 60Hz).

Is this intentional? I also saw that there are "Deflicker" video modes. Do None and Auto apply said Deflicker? I haven't tried it yet, but the difference in picture would make sense if it did.
I've been using Nintendont for years and this is the first time I paid attention to it, it makes a pretty noticeable difference.

I'll test it a bit more when i get the time but I wanted to ask in case anyone can offer any information, mostly for curiosity's sake.
Hi , yes what you wrote it's true about the sharper pic if you change the video mode.I believe that this was implemented because the GameCube was a crossing console between CRT and LCD dispaly era where the thechnology of displayng the imagine has based to two different foundations.
This (except, for almost the GameCube games that are customizable from the menu games....), you can so much noticing in Triforce Arcade Games, where there it's using the Cabinet with the CRT Display. And the games was projected for such Flicker / Response Time linear CRT technology .
Watch this video to let you understand what I talking about above:

In fact if you patch the Arcade modes, you earn the sharper video imagine and take out the base CRT Flickering, that some LCD can even absorb this flickering in bad way and when you turn off the console (and try to display in the LCD monitor your PC example) you still have the GOST imagine displayed before and the colors of the LCD goes mad, cause of the Hz frequenzy Upgrading image.... You need to wait awile before comeback the normal operating monitor LCD display (and I don't know in long terms, if can be ruin the LCD, because some LCD suffer really bad about this Flickering GOST effect).
So, to avoid this you have to change the Video mode and don't leave it in Auto mode.

Last edited by CrisMod,
Reactions: Maeson

Maeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Interesting, thanks for this and good to know it's true for others. It's a bit weird that setting it to None also applies this deflicker effect, (I mean, I thought is called "None" for a reason) but on the brighter side, I kept trying stuff and it seems like forcing PAL games to PAL 60 does also give you a cleaner picture. It's fortunate because with my current set up, if I try to force NTSC on PAL games I lose signal until I get to activate the 60Hz mode inside the games.

In all honestly most games I tried looked better to me this way. Although there seems to be at least one game where I do not see any difference, R: Racing Evolution, everything else was sharper and was easy to notice just by looking at elements far away from the camera (like trees or whatever), or if you look at the HUD elements and text.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.