Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo isn't abandoning gamers.
It's gamers abandoning Nintendo.

Nintendo still makes core franchise games, and they're still AAA titles, very polished, very fun games.

They make them the same way they've been making them for 25 years.. and true old-school gamers will know this and will still be able to appreciate and enjoy them, as fine examples that you don't need to have an M rating to make a game that even adults can enjoy playing.

It's the new-school kids that started with their first console being the N64 or PS1 that are abandoning Nintendo, claiming Nintendo has changed and become all casual and family friendly.

Old school gamers will recognize Nintendo has always had a family friendly image, and has always made games colorful, cartoony, and fun oriented rather than grimdark brown n bloom. Nintendo hasn't changed, your gaming tastes have changed. When you were 6 playing Mario 64, you loved it.. now with Mario Galaxy.. it's basically the same thing but you feel like it's a step back or made casual, because it's not Mario dual wielding machine guns and shooting goombas in the face, cause your taste changed.

Old school gamers though.. we went through a decade or more of cartoony, "children's" games before things started getting grimdark brown n bloom.

So we recognize that this is the same quality entertainment we grew up on.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:
It's the new-school kids that started with their first console being the N64 or PS1 that are abandoning Nintendo, claiming Nintendo has changed and become all casual and family friendly.

Because people who bought a PS1 supported Nintendo.

Nintendo still makes AAA titles and there are still AAA titles for their system, but the fact is that the quality of their consoles and advancing their technology has declined significantly. I usually don't whore for graphics, but honestly, I'm sick of playing shitty looking games. They're behind on so many features. The Wii can't even play a goddamn CD. The PS1 could play CDs. The online is poor (minimum voice chat, friend codes, lack of community compard to the PSN or Live), the graphics are roughly a small upgrade of the Gamecube, and third party support is decreasing (we get good third party Wii games, yes, but they sell terribly and devs just move away to another console).

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was part of the snes generation and I'm pretty sure there was less shovelware and they had way more adult games than they do now. Nintendo don't release enough major adult titles for me on the wii. I also can't remember so much shovelware on the snes
smile.gif
Imo Nintendo has went downhill (console wise) and I'm sure a lot of people agree with me.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Agree with all of that - in fact Nintendo is probably less family friendly than it was in the early 90s, do people forget that the SNES version of Mortal Kombat had all the blood and gore removed on the whim of Nintendo execs? I don't remember SNES or GB games being particularly 'adult', most of them were unapologetic about what they were, games, without trying to be some kind of gritty movie.

CyrusBlue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Because people who bought a PS1 supported Nintendo.

Are you implying that people can't own more than one console? I had a PS1 and a N64.

Guild McCommunist said:
but the fact is that the quality of their consoles and advancing their technology has declined significantly.

Nintendo has ALWAYS used technology that was behind.

Nintendo has always been about using old tech to their fullest extent.

Guild McCommunist said:
I'm sick of playing shitty looking games

I don't know if we've been playing the same consoles but Nintendo graphics are not shitty looking. They may not be up to par with the 360,PC or PS3 but they are far from shitty looking.

You're spoiled.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Apr 30 2010, 01:12 AM) The Wii can't even play a goddamn CD.

You do not need this on a console.
Consoles are for playing video games.

I'm sure you have a CD player or a media player on your computer.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Apr 30 2010, 01:12 AM)
The online is poor (minimum voice chat, friend codes, lack of community compard to the PSN or Live)

The online is poor when compared to PSN and Live but there is nothing wrong with the Wii's online.

Friend codes are only a hassle if you make them one.

You say you're not a graphics whore but here you are bitching about graphics.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyrusBlue said:

It was too long to quote, so I'll just do it like this
wink.gif

1) When you're buying a PSX, I doubt you're thinking "HEY NINTENDO IS GREAT" or "HEY LET'S SUPPORT NINTENDO". People from the PSX flocked to the PS2, not the Gamecube.

2) Just because Nintendo "used technology that's behind" doesn't mean they should. And I'm not sure how the NES and SNES compare to its competitors, but I thought they were supposed to be "pretty good".

3) So you're going to call me "spoiled" for want my good playing games to look good as well? Well excuse me princess. I had a Wii as my sole current gen console for years and I'll tell ya, you get sick of playing bleak looking game after bleak looking game. Graphics enhance games. Playing Resident Evil 5 with shitty looking graphics isn't nearly as good as playing Resident Evil 5 with gorgeous graphics. And when you get games like Dead Rising playing horrifically on the Wii because of its lack of power, it gets troubling. I want my good playing games to look as good as they play. Is that so hard to ask for?

4) Just because I have something else to play CD's doesn't mean the Wii shouldn't have it. It's a fucking CD. For Christ's sake, it's not that hard. Or even a DVD player. That's even more wanted. Many people will just skip buying a DVD player when they can just use their Xbox 360/PS3. But you can't with the Wii (despite the fact it's possible with homebrew).

5) ...Have you played Xbox Live or on the PSN? I can jump instantly into a friend's game, add people to my friend's list with a simple click of a button, join parties to voice chat with my compadres, invite people to join my game, and so on. You can't do half of that with the Wii. It's clunky and it doesn't bring any sense of community and ease. Even the best online games for the Wii still lack basics like voice chat and are still bogged down by friend codes.

You're acting like a Nintendo fanboy, I'm just throwing that out there. I like my Wii. I think it has great games. Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games this generation, and I love me some MadWorld and No More Heroes too. But even I can't ignore that it's an underpowered system with a lack of features compared to its console brothers. If the Wii was geared as a true Gamecube successor and aimed at its current fanbase of Gamecube owners, you'd expect it to be lampooned and flop.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I like my Wii. I think it has great games. Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games this generation, and I love me some MadWorld and No More Heroes too. But even I can't ignore that it's an underpowered system with a lack of features compared to its console brothers.

^ This is the quote of a century. I myself, own a Wii, PS3, XBOX 360, DSI, and a PSP. The way I figure it each company has it's faults. Here is my perspective.

SONY: Leading in graphics. (CON: No really family friendly titles. Mostly shooters.)

Microsoft: Leading in Online Gameplay. (Con: You have to pay for it)

Nintendo: Leading in security/ kid friendly. (Con: OK graphics, only has a couple of "Adult, or M" games, and they put way too much security in online play.)

Basically, you knew what you were getting into. No one goes into a store, and say "Hey, is that a Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft console?", and buys instantly. Most people, look up the graphics, possible games, and life span. Each company has their own PRO's, and CON's, but people still buy them anyway. It's all based on perspective.

CyrusBlue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If your main reason for disliking a console is because it's not on the same level as other consoles when it comes to graphics as opposed to its the library of games.

You are the cancer killing video games.

BeatriceTheGolde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
tempchan.co.cc
XP
Country
Canada
CyrusBlue said:
If your main reason for disliking a console is because it's not on the same level as other consoles when it comes to graphics as opposed to its the library of games.

LOL I'M CLEVER AND I USE MEMES.

Not only is the Wii lacking in graphics, it's lacking in online capabilities, and actual games that get released on both the Xbox AND the PS3. The Gamecube was somewhere near at par (or at least a LOT closer than it is now) with the PS2 and the Xbox in terms of power, so there were MANY games that were released across all three platforms. But now, the gap is so huge that great games (that could ALL be played with a Classic controller) are NEVER on both the Wii AND the other two consoles.

The Wii never got and never will have Bioshock, Street Fighter IV, Grand Theft Auto IV, Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII, or the upcoming Marvel VS Capcom 3. Why? Not because some of these are 'mature' titles that wouldn't be allowed (oh, I'm sure they would), but because the Wii can't even handle these games at all.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
yuyuyup said:
all systems are great
Yes i agree.

Unless any one of us here can make a console that's better than what Nintendo/Sony/Whateverothercompany makes I am happy and content with all of the consoles. Heck, I bet 99% of us here can't even make a proper console to save our lives.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Raika said:
yuyuyup said:
all systems are great
Yes i agree.

Unless any one of us here can make a console that's better than what Nintendo/Sony/Whateverothercompany makes I am happy and content with all of the consoles. Heck, I bet 99% of us here can't even make a proper console to save our lives.

Just because most people cannot build their own consoles, does not mean we cannot be qualified judges of said consoles. We all know what we like to see in games and consoles. Not all consoles are/have been great; a console can only be good or bad when compared to other consoles. If one doesn't have other things to compare against, saying a thing is good or bad becomes meaningless. I like the Wii. Do I think it's the best console out there? No I do not. Do I think it's reasonable to have expected better things from Nintendo? Yes I do.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raika said:
it's not a matter of whether or not we can do better. it's the fact that we all know that nintendo has the revenue and resources to make a more powerful console. we as individuals do not have these resources, nor do we have the experience. sure, some people don't like the decisions nintendo makes because it seems that every other console excels in areas that nintendo lacks, such as online. on the flip side, others love it because the console is unique and if it were more powerful it would be just like the other consoles out there.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
yuyuyup said:
all systems are great
Some consoles are better than others in some categories...

Apparently as of 2009, Xbox had a system failure rate of 54% compared to PS3's 10.6% and Wii's 6.8%

I'd love to post the source (contains graphic content) but I don't think its suitable to post on temp seeing as how the moderators are so easily butt hurt over the most harmless of posts and will try to spoil your fun by deleting your comments.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
I'd love to post the source (contains graphic content) but I don't think its suitable to post on temp seeing as how the moderators are so easily butt hurt over the most harmless of posts and will try to spoil your fun by deleting your comments.
Then GTFO.
CyrusBlue said:

Guild McCommunist said:
I like my Wii. I think it has great games.
Um, read a lil better?

As it stands now, the Wii is severely underpowered. This would be fine if it existed in a vacuum, but it doesn't. There are other gaming options to compare it to, which easily destroy it as far as 3rd-party support goes (Nintendo itself is an amazing dev). 360 and PS3 have to compete, the Wii should have to as well. And for people who want a serious gaming experience, which includes online play, they're not going to spend the money on the Wii as opposed to PS3/360. If you live in magical rainbow land and have enough money for all of them, kudos, but most people don't. You're trying to make it seem as though graphics don't matter at all; I'll agree that graphics are less important than gameplay, but they really do enhance the experience. The example of Bioshock was given. The graphics in that game really enhanced the mood and made it so creepy and awesome. That kind of experience would be totally lost on the Wii, unfortunately.

QUOTE(CyrusBlue @ Apr 29 2010, 06:19 PM)

Nintendo was always behind because competitors released their consoles first. Genesis was 2 years before SNES, and PS1 was like 3 before the N64. These consoles were, however, much more powerful when they did come out. Gamecube was in the middle of its generation, slightly behind Xbox and slightly ahead of PS2 (only about 100-200 MHz of difference). It wasn't until this generation that Nintendo fell so far behind, in terms of power and the online play. They've moved on to another market, unfortunately (at least hardware-wise).

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
People talk about the golden era of the SNES, but I don't really think Nintendo's attitude to games has changed that much. I don't see them as any more family-friendly, casual or kiddie really. Maybe that's just because when the SNES came out I was 11 and so because I played those games as a kid they don't seem particularly 'adult' to me/ Maybe it's because back then in the west most people felt all games were for kids and if you were over 20 and bought a SNES for yourself you were either mentally sub-normal or a paedophile. But anyway,I thought I'd look at a list of the best SNES games and see if they were particularly adult/hardcore compared to their equivalent on today's systems.

Obviously people will have different top 20s, but there will always be the same type of games cropping up. I'll use this guy's

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/1528/

1. Chrono Trigger.

Well, despite the fact Chrono Trigger has been remade for the DS, there's certainly no lack of spikey-haired manga protagonist saves the world RPGs on Nintendo's current platforms.

2. Super Metroid.

Not really a Metroid fan, but I'm led to believe the current generation of 3D Metroid stays surprisingly faithful to its roots.

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

A far more cartoony Zelda than the current-gen 3D ones, pretty similar in light-hearted style to the DS games.

4. Secret of Mana

Pretty twee action RPG, a type of game which the DS has coming out of its ears.

5. Mega Man X

Cartoony action platformer about a robotic fella saving the planet. Old school Mega Mans currently on Wiiware, SNES-style platformers coming to DS, arguabley more 'mature' starforce type games on DS.

6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

I preferred SMW, but at any rate, the adventures of a cartoon plumber in a magical mushroom kingdom saving a fairy princess. Yes, the Wii and DS Mario titles may be easy to get into and accessible, but that's what SNES Marios were too. They were always the games you put on for some little kid who visited, run, jump, two buttons. The difficulty came in getting absolutely everything and finding the secrets, and that's still the case in the modern versions.

7. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest

Not a particularly mature or hardcore title in anyone's book. Hard to find an equivalent since Nintendo fell out of love with Donkey Kong, and 2D platformers ceased to be the rage.

8. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

See Mario and Luigi. Yeah, it's got more of a light-hearted sense of humour but the mechanics are still there.

9. Final Fantasy III

Loads of Final Fantasy remakes about, plus stuff like Dragon Quest and FF-alikes like Nostalgia.

10. Donkey Kong Country

See 7.

11. Super Mario World

See 6.

12. Super Punch-Out!!

Well, we've got a new punch out, and while it could have just been a waggle-fest it stays true to its roots in terms of learning and repeating sequences.

13. Super Mario Kart

Yeah, yeah. Mario Kart's not as good as it used to be, the Simpsons isn't as good as it used to be, butter doesn't taste the same as when I was a kid. Again at the time this was marketed as a family game you'd play with parents or siblings, and it's your typical cartoony racer that would be lambasted for not being Need For Speed if it was first released today.

14. Street Fighter II: Turbo

Definitely a neglected genre recently across the board, until the SFIV resurgence. We're still talking cartoon caricatures slugging it out though.

15. Super Castlevania IV

Lots of lovely Metroidvanias on the DS, oldskool Castlevania rebirth on the Wii.

16. Mega Man 7

See 5.

17. Contra III: The Alien Wars

Contra 4 on DS, Rebirth on Wii. You see this is a game I still see as quite kiddy in the sort of instant gratification, play army and shoot the baddies kind of way. Again, maybe it's just because this is what I grew up with, hoards of robots, power ups that didn't need to be explained as realistic upgrades to your weapon, super human jumping...

Got to go to work now, but in the remainder of this top 25 I don't really see anything which is particularly mature and family un-friendly, and which doesn't have a decent modern equivalent.

18 - F-Zero
19 - Gradius III
20 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
21 - Kirby Super Star
22 - Zombies Ate My Neighbors
23 - Super Mario All-Stars
24 - Earthworm Jim
25 - Rock 'N Roll Racing

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Demonbart said:
CyrusBlue said:
*snip*

*snip*
Ehm no? The N64 was the most advanced console in its generation IIRC.

"More advanced" in what way? Main problem it had was that it was stuck using carts when the other machines embraced the new CD format, one of the reasons it lost Square for that gen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0