Nintendo theory

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by bigpaws, Feb 3, 2011.

Feb 3, 2011

Nintendo theory by bigpaws at 8:23 AM (5,552 Views / 0 Likes) 92 replies

1. bigpaws
    OP

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    i think that nintendo is slowly moving to a handheld only company
    here are some reasons why
    first, wii successor has not even been discussed and the wii is uber old
    not even a hint. either ninty finally can keep secrets or there is no console.
    second, 3d is best on a handheld and if ninty was moving in that direction, then they would only logically do it to a handheld system and give up on console
    third, in japan, a large market is in handheld gaming as many there travel daily on subways etc and it is popular that way

also, ninty tends to use a grand new technology in their systems. i can not think of one that would enhance gameplay and just an improvement to graphics is a waste to them b/c think of the effort to attract a few more customers, not many and may even lose some to price
    i think a console wont come for a while personally ... or until virtual reality becomes feasable for consumers

so what do you think? is the 3ds going to carry both of nintendos markets?

2. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I doubt it. Is the wii as old as ps3?

3. pocchama1996

Member pocchama1996 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well Nintendo said themselves that they're working on a Wii successor and since i'm pretty sure either 360 or ps3 are older than Wii I dont think that matters too much since neither of them have announced successors either. Anyways a Handheld only Ninty would be great to be honest. I'd love that.

4. bigpaws
    OP

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    ya i agree
    they could focus on the handheld games and there would be much better features in future updates

5. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    give it atleast 2 years, the Nintendo DS came out in 2005.

Wii came second in 2007.

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Well I do not because they make good consoles as well.

7. pocchama1996

Member pocchama1996 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    And I feel like handhelds are way better suited to 'gimmicks' i mean 3D/Touchscreens/Motion sensors
    everything since theyre self reliant. They don't require you buy fancy 3000 dollar tvs and glasses or controllers to use. So Nintendo can make some amazing technology and share it with everybody at a very reasonable price point. and with their sole focus being one console and it being portable I dont have to spend as much money and I can have everything with me wherever i go. Of course having a video output to tv would be great too. and maybe even bluetooth for controller use.

8. Arithmatics

Member Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Malaysia
    Nintendo is the benchmark of pioneering gaming technology. I think if they became handheld only, It would mean they've got enough technological plans to stay strong handheld-wise to last a lifetime.

9. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    agreed, but i know they still have ideas for consoles that wouldn't work on just a small screen and everywhere
    it would seem illogical to walk away from home-consoles

10. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    That's bull shit.
    Give the 3DS a chance to breath man.

11. KinGamer7

Member KinGamer7 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    There'll probably be an official (albeit vague) mention of the Wii successor by Nintendo in 2014/2015 at the earliest. Just be patient and enjoy what Nintendo is offering right now (and in the very near future with the 3DS).

12. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Earlier than that I'd say.

13. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    You know; Nintendo will release unexpected a successor. The 3ds wasn´t a big surprise, BUT maybe before the e3 some info will leak!

14. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    LATE 2006*
    e3 codename reveal, and maybe some screens or minor details. But probably only to press. 2012 or early 2013 release date.
    That is, unless the world ends in 2012.

15. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I believe this is for the best since their selection of games for the handhelds are much better than their offerings for the Wii. I play my DS and DSi way more than I ever play on my Wii (I haven't played my Wii for 6 months), the reason is a better selection of games. Also, being in a handheld only market will enable them to successfully introduce new technology to their systems.

16. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    It's easier to play on a handheld than get a tv remote, change channel, switch on console, grab controller, sit down, and play.
    That's why I play handhelds more.

the wii has good game imo, i just don't play them since it's right next to my pc.

17. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I agree that nintendo is moving in that direction. the wii, while it does have the best first-party games of the three big consoles, it has little of anything else. it's almost as if nintendo doesn't care. plus, the wii was very antiquated when it was released. if this gen is supposed to be 10+ years, nintendo made a huge mistake by developing it with so little power. nintendo has turned its back on its core audience in favor of the casual market. microsoft is starting to do that as well...which is unsettling.

18. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    At this point, I really have no reason to buy a next gen Nintendo console if one came out. If all it were was a Nintendo-branded Xbox(not literally. But just a console for core games, nothing special about it), it wouldn't really sell. Nintendo needs to come up with the next "gimmick" or improve on the old ones. If Nintendo decided they wanted to make another core console like GameCube, N64, etc, it would be a flop. People come to Nintendo for their gimmicks, not for the core gameplay.

If Nintendo wanted to become a handheld-only company, I'd be fine with that since I only seem to be able to get 2 consoles per generation, but I don't see it happening.

19. SmokeFox

Member SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Brazil
    Just to point it out and show what is going to be the future:
    Just seeing the sells of the iphone shows it that the handheld is the best way of making money.

20. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    The system release order is (from earliest to latest release):
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Wii

EDIT: Wrong order, sorry.