Hardware Nintendo Switch Runs FreeBSD Kernel

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Even if it doesn't get hacked right away, running FreeBSD kernel is actually a really good move. BSD is stable like a damn brick.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Called it.

Sorry Android fanboys, your idea that Nintendo even remotely considered Android is stupid.

Not really. If you want to be an uptight dick about it, you can crawl back in your hole.

The notion that it may have been android wasn't too far off given the hardware specs. Not to mention, up until a couple of months ago, we knew nothing other than it was a hybrid console.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Not really. If you want to be an uptight dick about it, you can crawl back in your hole.

The notion that it may have been android wasn't too far off given the hardware specs. Not to mention, up until a couple of months ago, we knew nothing other than it was a hybrid console.
Android is a security disaster. If you think for one second that Nintendo was considering Android, you're pretty much delusional.

Reactions: foob

foob

Trophies
XP
Country

thomasnet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I ran nmap on my Switch, FreeBSD confirmed:
All 1000 scanned ports on pc-148.home (192.168.1.26) are closed
MAC Address: 7C:BB:8A:89:EC:79 (Nintendo)
Warning: OSScan results may be unreliable because we could not find at least 1 open and 1 closed port
Device type: general purpose
Running: FreeBSD 6.X|7.X|8.X
OS CPE: cpe:/o:freebsd:freebsd:6.2 cpe:/o:freebsd:freebsd:7.0 cpe:/o:freebsd:freebsd:8.2
OS details: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p1, FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT, FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2 - 7.1-PRERELEASE, FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE, FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE

Reactions: Chizko

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Android is a security disaster. If you think for one second that Nintendo was considering Android, you're pretty much delusional.

If Nintendo didn't for even 1 second consider it, even just to say 'there are security concerns', I'd say that was bad practice.

Besides, as seen with the PS4, FreeBSD alone doesn't guarantee security.

CamoHiddenDJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you keep looking at the OS licenses page, you will notice there are quite a few android components used. I wouldn't be surprised if it shared some userland or even dalvik. Not sure as it's just listed as "Android Components". Now, I will point out that there is a license listed for Stagefright, which is a media playback engine. Older versions of stagefright have an exploit that "allows an attacker to perform arbitrary operations on the victim's device through remote code execution and privilege escalation." (source: wikipedia)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo didn't for even 1 second consider it, even just to say 'there are security concerns', I'd say that was bad practice.

Besides, as seen with the PS4, FreeBSD alone doesn't guarantee security.
Nvidia already has Android consoles on the market. I don't regret buying my Shield TV, but Android is far from a gaming powerhouse. It gets use mostly as a streaming box.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Thinking about it, I wonder if the license played a part?

Android uses a mixture of licenses, some GPL such as the Kernel (you have to release source code), others Apache (you don't have to).

From what I can tell, FreeBSD doesn't require you to release the source code.

Reactions: zoogie
D

Deleted User

It will take years for that to happen. It take 3DS 4 years to get hack so it would be naive to think Switch will be any easier.
Actually less then 3 years, forgot gatewait? And ninjhax? I got my 3ds in 2014 and it had sky3ds and ninjhax back then,..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY