Nintendo Switch Reveal

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
Nintendo has finally decided to show off their new "home gaming system", code-name NX. It's time to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves and put all the rumors to rest.
GBAtemp will covering the announcement and the OP will be updated as new information rolls in from the preview. Remember, the video starts at 9AM Central Standard Time, so be sure to watch, and discuss your thoughts here!

:arrow: Nintendo Official Site
Trailer

It's called the Nintendo Switch. Rumors are true, it's a tablet with connectable buttons that you can play at home and on the go. Console Controller looks similar to the Xbox One's. Has small little remotes and supports multiplayer. NBA game being shown. 3D Mario title. When you connect the portable controllers the system goes from console to portable. Skyrim and Splatoon shown. Still coming March next year.

Press Release
Detachable Controllers Reinvent Gaming

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In an introductory video released today, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

Companies that will support the Switch
505 Games
• LEVEL-5 Inc.
• Activision Publishing, Inc.
• Marvelous Inc.
• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
• Maximum Games, LLC
• ATLUS CO., LTD.
• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
• Audiokinetic Inc.
• Parity Bit Inc.
• Autodesk, Inc.
• PlatinumGames Inc.
• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
• RAD Game Tools, Inc.
• Bethesda
• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
• CAPCOM CO., LTD.
• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
• Codemasters®
• Silicon Studio Corporation
• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
• DeNA Co., Ltd.
• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
• Electronic Arts
• Starbreeze Studios
• Epic Games Inc.
• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
• Firelight Technologies
• Telltale Games
• FromSoftware, Inc.
• THQ Nordic
• Frozenbyte
• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
• GameTrust
• TT Games
• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• UBISOFT
• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
• Ubitus Inc.
• HAMSTER Corporation
• Unity Technologies, Inc.
• Havok
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
• Web Technology Corp

Screens
ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.18.41).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.19.46).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.07).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.18).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.44).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.03).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.54).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.08).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.36).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.23.16).jpg
It will be powered by a custom Nvidia Tegra chip.
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

:arrow: Nvidia Blog

:arrow: Nintendo Switch Site

aCvN5gD4VMAA0FCh.jpg aCvN5gEIVIAAOcAA.jpg aCvN5gEmUMAAx8nb.jpg aCvN5gEZUAAAzayg.jpg

Nintendo First Look
The detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

:arrow: Nintendo Site

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the Switch seems like a perfect opportunity for me to play games out of my "comfort zone"- since I can't play most PC games and I've never owned a non-Nintendo console I've mostly just played very child-friendly Nintendo games, but I'm interested into getting into more mature and popular stuff. With the rumors of Skyrim, GTA, and now obscure Japanese games becoming playable through region free, the Switch seems perfect for me.
If you have a computer made in the last 3~ years you'd just need something like the GTX 1050 to play pretty much any current PC game at a level that meets or exceeds current consoles... (yes, even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S)

$109 can turn a cheap computer into a gaming computer

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think about what these were at the time...

Mind you, there were others before but Apple is the one that really did the product right...
  • iPod: You're thinking about the iPod Touch... the first iPod was quite revolutionary...
  • iPhone: Touch screen phones really weren't a thing until the iPhone... see this... and this...
  • iPad: Really the first tablet that sold well...
  • iTunes: Okay... you got me on that one...
And about the headphone jack... seriously... it's not that big of a deal...

Android phones will ditch the headphone jack in favor of USB-C too... The Moto Z already has and that was realeased BEFORE the iPhone 7...

But this of course is off topic for the thread so I'll just stop here...
Except that the first iPod was not the first MP3 player. There were others on the market that were just fine and didn't require iTunes, they just didn't have the Apple marketing team.
iPhone did come out first, but Android was already on the way, so it's not like smartphones would not have been a thing without Apple.
iPad: again, marketing.

Also, OS X is not revolutionary, it took BSD and locked it down. Unix systems have been around for a LONG time.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
does anybody have a better pic of the joy cons? i cant tell if there is a physical data port on the joy con connection. if not it's likely just a micro usb for charging and there wont be any accessories drawing power from them.

First_Look_at_Nintendo_Switch_-_YouTube_-_Google_Chrome_2016-10-20_10-13-34-1.jpg

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
does anybody have a better pic of the joy cons? i cant tell if there is a physical data port on the joy con connection. if not it's likely just a micro usb for charging and there wont be any accessories drawing power from them.

First_Look_at_Nintendo_Switch_-_YouTube_-_Google_Chrome_2016-10-20_10-13-34-1.jpg

Perhaps their is no connector and the dock provides wireless charging? That would be a cool trick from Nintendo. They could charge everything simultaneously that way without putting connectors on the devices for the controllers.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps their is no connector and the dock provides wireless charging? That would be a cool trick from Nintendo. They could charge everything simultaneously that way without putting connectors on the devices for the controllers.
I would assume the dock provides power to the tablet and the tablet provides power to charge the joy cons...

I'd also guess that the joy con base has a battery pack inside of that as well

Wireless charging is a cool trick but they already have a connector on the tablet for the video connection and USB...

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that they'll see how well this sells...

The 3DS XL isn't horribly portable but it isn't too bad...

Unfortunately stuffing a Switch into your pocket is going to be impossible...

But if they let you use it on the go like a regular android tablet people might carry this instead...
Not impossible, just wear cargo shorts. [emoji12]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Got to admit this looks pretty damn amazing. It's all the wiiU should have been but failed tremendously in doing so. I mean, powerful equipment (tegra processor and nvidia GPU are the best when it comes to portable gaming in android experience), deattachable controllers that don't look like they'll give you cramps at half an hour of gaming, I'm shocked. I really hope it gets decent third party support and this should rise nintendo from their grave.

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I would assume the dock provides power to the tablet and the tablet provides power to charge the joy cons...

I'd also guess that the joy con base has a battery pack inside of that as well

Wireless charging is a cool trick but they already have a connector on the tablet for the video connection and USB...

Well the controllers slide down though, not just plug in from the side. Getting a USB connector that doesn't break easily to be able to make a connection and do it with a sliding motion and do it on both sides could be a more complicated or more expensive trick. If they plugged in sure that would be easy, but they slide in from the top which means the power connector would have to slide in and out for the tablet or controllers, putting a lot of eventual wear and tear on both the tablet and controller. Wireless charging would eliminate all of that. Not saying that is guaranteed but it makes the most sense unless they created a really durable solution. I just don't want another DS hinge type issue and all the connecting and sliding the controllers and Switch with the dock do scares me for the longevity of the console.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In fact i suppose that NX stand for Nintendo Cross, meaning that is a sort of "cross-platform".
Anyway look powerful and -> "It will be powered by a custom Nvidia Tegra chip."
Maybe finally i'll can see a handle console (after jailbreaking) that will emulate ps2? :D

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the controllers slide down though, not just plug in from the side. Getting a USB connector that doesn't break easily to be able to make a connection and do it with a sliding motion and do it on both sides could be a more complicated or more expensive trick. If they plugged in sure that would be easy, but they slide in from the top which means the power connector would have to slide in and out for the tablet or controllers, putting a lot of eventual wear and tear on both the tablet and controller. Wireless charging would eliminate all of that. Not saying that is guaranteed but it makes the most sense unless they created a really durable solution. I just don't want another DS hinge type issue and all the connecting and sliding the controllers and Switch with the dock do scares me for the longevity of the console.

They could have connector pads on the cons and have pins on the tablet that get actuated by the sliding motion of the cons

Something similar to the 3DS charging dock

Just because it's physical doesn't mean it has to be something that requires inserting a connector...

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes they get it wrong... sometimes they get it VERY right (Apple...)

That statement makes me sick. I used to own an iPhone, I'll never own their overpriced trash again.

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
They could have connector pads on the cons and have pins on the tablet that get actuated by the sliding motion of the cons

Something similar to the 3DS charging dock

Just because it's physical doesn't mean it has to be something that requires inserting a connector...

Sure but anything like that would eventually wear out and it would also mean that when the tablet was connected to the joycons that those connectors would be unprotected. Sorry not trying to argue just hoping Nintendo doesn't have any design flaws going on. Can't wait to see how it actually all works. Really wished they would of given us some more details. Was hoping for at least a Nintendo Direct with a rundown of it. Hope they don't make us wait much longer for more info.

I mean they originally said they delayed the announcement so Sony and Microsoft didn't try to rip off their idea so now that the cat is out of the bag what is the holdup for giving us more info?

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes they get it wrong... sometimes they get it VERY right (Apple...)

That statement makes me sick. I used to own an iPhone, I'll never own their overpriced trash again.

Google outright copied Apple for Android after the iPhone was released...

The first version of Android wasn't even going to support a touch screen... it was going to look and work more like the Blackberries of the time...

Overpriced, sure... the iPhone isn't cheap... Google also charges $650/750 for the Pixel Phone as well as does Samsung...

The S7 isn't as powerful as the iPhone and yet it's same price as the iPhone...

You can get cheaper Android phones but they'll be nowhere near as powerful and won't get many if any software updates...

Last edited by DanTheMan827,
Reactions: Deleted User

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The first version of Android wasn't even going to support a touch screen... it was going to look and work more like the Blackberries of the time...

Overpriced, sure... the iPhone isn't cheap... Google also charges $650/750 for the Pixel Phone as well...

Really, the more you pay for a phone the more power you get...

Honestly, if this was a few years ago, I would have loved an iPhone-esque android phone, but now that phones have things like front facing speakers and expandable storage being something that I rely on all the time, I'm kind of disappointed that the Pixel didn't end up becoming my dream phone. Of course, it's meant to appeal to most people though, and I don't think that my preferences are like most.

Nowq as far as "power" goes, I don't think any phone can match the A10 chip in the first place, and seeing as they're both on different platforms, and that there are plenty of other factors that can affect the pricing, I'd say it's irrelevant.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just what I wanted! I new gimmicky system to awkwardly play the same old shitty games on. Sweet. Nintendo, never change.
The system comes with a regular controller... you're not forced to ever even take it out of the dock if you don't want to...

And if you don't like Nintendo games or systems just buy something else...

Reactions: Deleted User

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Overpriced, sure... the iPhone isn't cheap... Google also charges $650/750 for the Pixel Phone as well as does Samsung...

You can get cheaper Android phones but they'll be nowhere near as powerful and won't get many if any software updates...

And won't be restricted in apps that can be installed or customization. Most Android phones and tablets are rootable. Apple's new iOS system still isn't jail broken. Forgive me for wanting to change more than a wallpaper or ringtone.

Reactions: Sick Wario

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since the Wii? They did it since the N64 with the analogue controller and rumble pak
Uhm... The NES launched with ROB because consoles were in the shitter and Nintendo wanted to sell the NES as a toy. They were always adding gimmicks to systems, and it's not just them either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH
    At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in the world
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in...