Nintendo Switch PowerA Wired Controllers: Official GBAtemp Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisies, Oct 6, 2018.

Front-page
    review_banner_power_a_wired_switch_controllers.
    The Nintendo Switch Pro controller is really expensive, right? Sixty dollars on Amazon for the original black controller, and up to ninety dollars for one of the fancy decorated ones — there has to be a cheaper way! Well, rest assured, there are alternatives. PowerA sent over two of their sexiest wired controllers, which are amongst the most competitively priced Switch gamepads on the market. The question is, can the product be impressive at just twenty-five dollars, or is it just a cheap knock-off that's not worth your time? Read the full GBAtemp official review, and you can decide for yourself.

:arrow: PowerA Wired Switch Controller Official GBAtemp Review
    :arrow: PowerA website

Quantumcat likes this.
    Discussion (21 replies)
  1. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    I've got that original PowerA Zelda controller, and honestly for the price it's not a bad wired controller at all.

The only reason I haven't bought more of them is because of the Amazon Switch "Proish" controllers, since their wireless and have most of the features the Pro controller has; compared to the PowerA controller that's literally just a wired controller, no gyro, no wireless.
    The one I got from EEEkit or something like that on Amazon and it for like $27 it's probably the best third-party controller out there right now.

SirBeethoven, antiNT and Ericthegreat like this.
  2. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Best choice to me seems to be that magic usb Bluetooth dongle (if you own PS4 or xb1 controllers).

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Using the PS4 controller is nice since it has gyro, but that Splatoon Pro Controller is still :ok-hand:

4. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I LOVE PowerA's Switch controllers!

[​IMG]

I also have the Silver and Purple wireless GameCube pads on pre order. My only gripe is that PowerA, in Apple fashion, adds a stupid nic to their micro USB ports. if you're like me and don't mind filing down the rubber around the cable connection, a tad bit, you can always make a nice and snug connection. On a side note, I wish I could find a green, 10 foot Micro USB cable for that Yoshi controller, LOL! PowerA provides 9 foot cable but for my Peach controller, I swapped with 10 foot cable just to get some extra space.

I've only had an issue with one controller and they were quick to send me a replacement. BTW they have an awesome two year warranty! If you don't mind the lack of rumble, motion and NFC, these controllers are great! Just know that for some odd reason Walmart does NOT sell the variants with the replaceable sticks. It keeps the price at 25 USD but it might come to a shock for some people. I'm also trying to see if color mods void warranties. PowerA has not sent an answer on that yet. I want to color mod my silver GameCube controller to have metallic pink on the bottom side.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  5. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    There's a cheaper one wireless which even has rumble and motion sensors...

Shalashaska98 likes this.
  6. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    The chinese wireless pro controllers are actually cheaper and are exactly the same as the regular pro controller

7. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    link please?

8. Ace001

Ace001 GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2013
    United States
    Never buying one of these ever. I've had nothing but bad experiences with the brand. Got one two weeks ago and the D-Pad only goes down so i can't play games without it moving downwards. Ridiculous.

9. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    That sucks. I've heard they have a good warranty program, maybe you could email them about it? Or return it to the store

Ace001 likes this.
  10. LightyKD

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Go to PowerA's website and open a support ticket. They are really good at honoring their warranty. You might just have a bad controller out of a good batch. No manufacturing process is 100 % perfect.

Ace001 likes this.
  11. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    I got one for $20 USD. It's pretty good.

12. Ace001

Ace001 GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2013
    United States
    See i would return it but gamestops return policy is pretty shit sooo..I'll definitely shoot them an email!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Of course. I just had to get the burnt cookie. I'll go ahead and do what you suggested

13. LightyKD

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Hopefully you still have the receipt. The website does ask for a retailer name and purchase date but as long as you can give an near accurate "guestimated" date, you're fine. Additionally you will need the controller's Model and Lot numbers. You can find them on the black sticker on the bottom side.

14. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    They are like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Wir...hash=item54614f2d51:m:mCZDJEdlnix8TS9QTPEsYPg

But I think you can even find it cheaper, some ppl on YouTube even say to never buy the pro controller because the very cheap alternative is pretty good.

It just lacks NFC reader, but the rest is there. Main problem is really just the battery that is very low, but for the price you can even buy a few for the price of an actual pro controller.

Also maybe there might be space inside for a much better battery.

Ps: I can't say anything about it as I still haven't bought one, also this controller have many different names...

altorn likes this.
  15. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Who would buy wired in 2018,?? Pro is expensive but there are cheaper wireless controllers

guily6669 likes this.
  16. haxan

haxan GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2011
    in my room?
    I mean, its nice and all but its wired. I guess if you're into that whole ????vintage???? thing

17. guily6669

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    That would be specially awesome for kids passing by and bringing the whole console down and with a bit more luck maybe they could even bring the whole TV down :).

Makes me remember my friend's son which is even already 9 years old and he had a cheap crap wired controller, the kid was playing and sent the PS4 to the ground lol.

18. YetoJesse

YetoJesse GBAtemp Regular

May 30, 2009
    Netherlands
    Hoooome
    Still waiting for a switch controller with normal layout. This just bricks my grip...

19. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    Would be nice if we had a review that compared all these different USB wired controllers.
    Switch like USB:
    Hori Pokken
    Hori Wired
    PDP Wired
    Power a wired
    Nyko wired

Then these companies are also bringing out GameCube like usb fight pads too.

Be nice to know most the options with the differences easily notated; as it seems like a lot of options.

Last edited by SonicMC, Oct 9, 2018