Nintendo switch OLED alt point for modchip install

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for making a separate post for this. I have my OLED ready and waiting for my Core chip to arrive. That C point is crazy.

I feel like it would be easy to remove (heat gun then thin knife to pry up) but putting it back on would be a major pain. Edit: Just YouTube'd how to reball an EMMC without a stencil, wow...tedious. I don't have a heat flow tool that skinny, and those probably aren't cheap...

Hopefully someone finds an alternate point...

Last edited by sean222,

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really interesting. But C point is not feasible without really good soldering skills in my opinion.
I assume for SX Core this would be the same?

Reactions: mvmiranda

vulp_vibes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bit the bullet and pulled EMMC and searched for alt points.....lets just say I hope someone finds something I missed because I'm almost certain I tested every exposed point I could... even points that were not exposed. I made a video regarding it if anyone wants to see.
very informative video.. this should clearly illustrate the scope of difficulty and required expertise for this procedure. I had a feeling that nintendo intentionally obfuscated or did not include a test point for dat0 as a sort of physical safeguard against these installs, since they did not patch the actual vulnerability, and your work here certainly supports that theory. I would have been looking for it myself if I had gotten my hands on a console, but I'm sure everyone will appreciate you taking the time to check for it, and presenting your findings here :)

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bit the bullet and pulled EMMC and searched for alt points.....lets just say I hope someone finds something I missed because I'm almost certain I tested every exposed point I could... even points that were not exposed. I made a video regarding it if anyone wants to see.

Great video. Thanks. BGA 153 stencil has been ordered :)
I ordered a chip and a bunch of soldering stuff, so I'm pot committed now, LOL.

Znsale01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for those using the lite chips.... here is 1.8v! right next to the power/volume connector.
Screenshot 2021-10-19 18-33-47.png
Screenshot 2021-10-19 18-33-18.png

gokuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Have you tried wrapping aluminium foil on your fingers to trace.

Worth a shot since you already have it exposed.

irvingoh999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Is it better to have the sx lite? I already own an sx core, keeping it for this purpose, but I read online on the comments in the original YouTube video that it is a hit and miss, that dat0 needs to be removed in order to run OFW? Will installing a switch be a solution? Or is the sx lite a better solution? Anyone can give your comments on it?

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica

I got one a few days ago.

Last edited by JaRocker,

BetterGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hello guys! I'm a homebrewyoutuber and would love to make a video about how to install the modchip on the oled switch im right now informing myself really hard since it really is not easy it seems!

So i still would love to try it even the risk is big.

I saw that I need wires for the emmc, but what wures would you recommend to me and where should i get them?

Thanks for every answer!

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello guys! I'm a homebrewyoutuber and would love to make a video about how to install the modchip on the oled switch im right now informing myself really hard since it really is not easy it seems!

I saw that I need wires for the emmc, but what wures would you recommend to me and where should i get them?

Thanks for every answer!
Jumper wire. 0.1 or 0.2mm I believe

Reactions: BetterGaming

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

Thanks for every answer!
Just small enameled wire. I have 0,15mm enameled copper wire i use for everything. Small enough for any IC legs.
I think other name for that is magnet wire, as for electromagnetic coils(motors)

Reactions: BetterGaming

BetterGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Just small enameled wire. I have 0,15mm enameled copper wire i use for everything. Small enough for any IC legs.
I think other name for that is magnet wire, as for electromagnetic coils(motors)
Aight, thank you! For my soldering iron, i think i need a very small/tiny top, to only soldering one point of the emmc, how can i search that or what is the soldering iron called which i need to use?

Reactions: mvmiranda

kerelenko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Aight, thank you! For my soldering iron, i think i need a very small/tiny top, to only soldering one point of the emmc, how can i search that or what is the soldering iron called which i need to use?
You'll need a hot-air rework station. You might also need a digital microscope and some other helping tools to get it done properly.

I've had board repair experience but that was years ago (no BGAs). I could pay someone to do it for me or I can buy the tools needed and learn new skills.

Reactions: sean222

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'll need a hot-air rework station. You might also need a digital microscope and some other helping tools to get it done properly.

I've had board repair experience but that was years ago (no BGAs). I could pay someone to do it for me or I can buy the tools needed and learn new skills.
What's the advantage of the hot-air rework station over a small tipped adjustable hot-air blower?

Quezacotl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What's the advantage of the hot-air rework station over a small tipped adjustable hot-air blower?
You nees to heat the bottom side/bigger area of the PCB too, because the ground pads are absorbing so much heat. That's the main reason it's so hard to remove chips with just a blower. And also there is risk of PCB warping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.