Nintendo Switch has been worked on for TWO YEARS?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DeoNaught, Nov 13, 2016.

1. DeoNaught
    OP

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    so I was reading this article http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/nvidia_ceo_talks_up_incredible_nintendo_switch

and so I read this part of the article
    "I guess you could also say that Nintendo contributed a fair amount to that growth. And over the next – as you know, the Nintendo architecture and the company tends to stick with an architecture for a very long time. And so we've worked with them now for almost two years.".

That's two years after the Wii u released.

SSG Vegeta and CatmanFan like this.

2. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    Interesting find. I have high hopes for this machine as I own a nvidia shield tablet and it's hella powerful. An upgraded one would be amazing. I'm glad Nintendo has created a semi-powerful machine (compared to PS4/XBOX1) that developers are going to support. Let's hope it sells!

SSG Vegeta and Rudelof like this.
  3. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I can't believe I'm using my PS3 again.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    eye dope no
    No offense, but I don't really care about how long it was worked on anyway :P

azoreseuropa likes this.
  4. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Hardware development cycles are long.
    The hardware people have to figure out what they're doing, then developers, both 1st and 3rd party, need to be brought up to speed. There needs to be time for manufacturing built in as well.
    PS4 Pro / Scorpio dev cycle was probably half that because it's just a spec bump.

5. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    "I'm going to post in a topic irrelevant to my interests and waste people's time."

6. Cygen

Cygen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Nintendo always knew that The Wii U was (mostly) a failure. Its not that huge of a suprise that they wanted to invent a succesor as soon as possible. We can only hope they used this time wisely. We still dont know anything about the battery duration in mobile mode or if Its The Same as The Wii U and you cant buy The Screen or Docking Station seperate if something Breaks.

DeoNaught likes this.
  7. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    I am surprised it has only taken them 2 years to develop the Switch with Nvidia. I would guess that Nintendo spoke with many other companies to see what they could offer them before a choice was made. I would also guess that the hardware and software engineers (and accountants) were in heavy planning about requirements and concepts (and costs) for new hardware at least a year before their official partnership with Nvidia.

8. DeoNaught
    OP

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    so your saying is that its been in dev for three years maybe?

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Nvidia working with Nintendo for two years DOES NOT mean the switch has been worked on for only two years.

ScarletDreamz, blahax and KingVamp like this.
  10. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    ure right!

11. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    For sure. At least. Any new hardware release takes ages, if you go back to see it develop from the blank slate right up to sellable product

Last edited by foob, Nov 14, 2016
    DeoNaught likes this.
  12. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Two years matches up with when Satoru Iwata first mentioned the NX was being worked on in 2014 when investors and shareholders thought Nintendo was leaving the hardware race. Isnt it crazy to think we've known about the Switch for over 2 years now? You dont hear about Sony talking about the PS5 that early.

13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    is right as soon as ninty finish one console they get to work making the next one.

14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, new consoles don't just pop up out of thin air. A lot of planning, design, and engineering goes into it.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. rickpower

rickpower GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2016
    New Zealand
    quick question is the Switch going to have 3d screen ?

16. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I'm guessing you have never been in a long term project where you go from the actual conceptual ideas to an actual prototype.
    Making a worldwide hardware release takes a lot of time.
    I take some months just to clarify the idea, some more to make some starting with hardware possibilities and possible partners, then the actual design and hardware schematics, etc.

I say a year is the minimum to be honest for a big company.
    Two years was okay since they are trying new stuff and also new hardware and software partners.

17. EntermateStar

EntermateStar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    United States
    no it wont

rickpower likes this.
  18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    2 years is a remarkably short development cycle for a flagship piece of hardware.

TotalInsanity4 and blahax like this.
  19. DeoNaught
    OP

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    Really? what is the regular?

20. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It tends to be around 4-5 years. Initial planning starts roughly a year after the launch of their current console, though the Wii U's short life span has made the turnaround seem a lot faster.

TotalInsanity4, DeoNaught and blahax like this.