Hardware Nintendo Switch has been worked on for TWO YEARS?

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
so I was reading this article http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/nvidia_ceo_talks_up_incredible_nintendo_switch

and so I read this part of the article
"I guess you could also say that Nintendo contributed a fair amount to that growth. And over the next – as you know, the Nintendo architecture and the company tends to stick with an architecture for a very long time. And so we've worked with them now for almost two years.".

That's two years after the Wii u released.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting find. I have high hopes for this machine as I own a nvidia shield tablet and it's hella powerful. An upgraded one would be amazing. I'm glad Nintendo has created a semi-powerful machine (compared to PS4/XBOX1) that developers are going to support. Let's hope it sells!

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware development cycles are long.
The hardware people have to figure out what they're doing, then developers, both 1st and 3rd party, need to be brought up to speed. There needs to be time for manufacturing built in as well.
PS4 Pro / Scorpio dev cycle was probably half that because it's just a spec bump.

Cygen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo always knew that The Wii U was (mostly) a failure. Its not that huge of a suprise that they wanted to invent a succesor as soon as possible. We can only hope they used this time wisely. We still dont know anything about the battery duration in mobile mode or if Its The Same as The Wii U and you cant buy The Screen or Docking Station seperate if something Breaks.

Reactions: DeoNaught

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
That's two years after the Wii u released.

I am surprised it has only taken them 2 years to develop the Switch with Nvidia. I would guess that Nintendo spoke with many other companies to see what they could offer them before a choice was made. I would also guess that the hardware and software engineers (and accountants) were in heavy planning about requirements and concepts (and costs) for new hardware at least a year before their official partnership with Nvidia.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am surprised it has only taken them 2 years to develop the Switch with Nvidia. I would guess that Nintendo spoke with many other companies to see what they could offer them before a choice was made. I would also guess that the hardware and software engineers (and accountants) were in heavy planning about requirements and concepts (and costs) for new hardware at least a year before their official partnership with Nvidia.
so your saying is that its been in dev for three years maybe?

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two years matches up with when Satoru Iwata first mentioned the NX was being worked on in 2014 when investors and shareholders thought Nintendo was leaving the hardware race. Isnt it crazy to think we've known about the Switch for over 2 years now? You dont hear about Sony talking about the PS5 that early.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm guessing you have never been in a long term project where you go from the actual conceptual ideas to an actual prototype.
Making a worldwide hardware release takes a lot of time.
I take some months just to clarify the idea, some more to make some starting with hardware possibilities and possible partners, then the actual design and hardware schematics, etc.

I say a year is the minimum to be honest for a big company.
Two years was okay since they are trying new stuff and also new hardware and software partners.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended