Megaman Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hey Guys,

I have this Nintendo Switch v1 already hacked, has this weird issue that closes the software in OFW when I try to play any games with intense graphic related (for example, ARMS, Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Odyssey, etc). I thought in the beginning it was my SD card, which I installed emuNAND in it who had this issue, so I did actually changed the SD card multiple time, but no use (Different brands, different write/read speed, etc).

The phenomena of this issue is happening on both OFW & CFW, and what happens is one of these following issues occasionally:
  • On opening a software while it is booting (showing the Nintendo Logo animation on right-bottom), during the animation, it shows "The software was closed because an error occurred" error.
  • After booting, when a game start, and the characters in the cut-scene shows (for example Mario Odyssey), some of the scene shaders (for example, sky flares, shine, texture, etc) shows as green or purple gradient radius flickering in the sky, or on Mario, or on Bowser. Sometimes, after a while, huge chance the game freezes, and it shows "The software was closed because an error occurred".
  • On any occasion, 2D games (for example, Super Mario 35) works very smooth with no issue, and rarely after a long session, the game freezes, and it shows "The software was closed because an error occurred".
  • Sometimes it shows green or purple rectangles on the screen (when playing Mario Tennis Ace) during the conversation scenes, but disappears in a while, and sometimes when it shows, the game freezes, and the console does not respond.

I'm not sure where to start to investigate the issue, I'm pretty sure eMMC has no issue at all, nor SD card, but I am suspecting it is a hardware issue.

What should I do? What kind of solution should I seek for? Is it worth to do re-flow? Should I replace RAM in this case? Any suggestion would appreciate it.

Megaman Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Does it in both CFW and OFW? Hmmmm. Might be overheating. Have you checked your temps and fan speeds with Status Monitor Overlay? Requires Tesla Menu to run…
Thanks for the quick reply!

I did enabled Tesla Menu with Status Monitor previously, and I can confirm, it is not overheating issue as I was exposing the switch to a fan to decrease the switch temperature. Still, it does act as I mentioned previously.

What I did also is changed the thermal paste for better cooling, yet the issue still remains.

Reactions: binkinator

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply!

I did enabled Tesla Menu with Status Monitor previously, and I can confirm, it is not overheating issue as I was exposing the switch to a fan to decrease the switch temperature. Still, it does act as I mentioned previously.

What I did also is changed the thermal paste for better cooling, yet the issue still remains.

Perhaps it is the GPU going bad.

Reactions: Megaman Hunter

Megaman Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
could be software related, have you tried factory reset and re-installing everything (firmware, games etc) again?
Yes, I did, I did reset factory on both ways, from Settings, and from Recovery Mode. I did re-installed everything, and sadly, even the game cartridge, it does behave the same thing.

Perhaps it is the GPU going bad.
This sounds like some kind of GPU hardware failure and unless you're in warranty you are going to need a whole motherboard replacement. The 2D game not having glitches/crashes may be because it's using less graphical features and putting the GPU under less tress.

I am suspecting this, and no, the Nintendo switch does not fall under the warranty at all due to expiration the warranty period long time ago.

And I do wonder, what kind of symptoms I would witness if:
  • LPDDR4 RAMs have hardware failure?
  • GPU (or APU in some context) have hardware failure?
And does re-flow solve the issue?

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, I did, I did reset factory on both ways, from Settings, and from Recovery Mode. I did re-installed everything, and sadly, even the game cartridge, it does behave the same thing.

I am suspecting this, and no, the Nintendo switch does not fall under the warranty at all due to expiration the warranty period long time ago.

And I do wonder, what kind of symptoms I would witness if:
  • LPDDR4 RAMs have hardware failure?
  • GPU (or APU in some context) have hardware failure?
And does re-flow solve the issue?
There are various RAM patches available for overclocking and if your RAM doesn't support them there can be various glitches like NAND/SD card corruption, stuttering music, graphical artifacts. Hard to find information about these specific artifact though. That's the closest thing I can compare to RAM hardware failure. If you wanted to you could always underclock the ram with sys-clk to see if the issues still keep happening.

I have no idea about reflow.

Reactions: Megaman Hunter

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so just for testing purposes did you try games installed on the sysnand instead of the sd to make sure its not possibly sd issues?

Megaman Hunter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
so just for testing purposes did you try games installed on the sysnand instead of the sd to make sure its not possibly sd issues?
Yes, it has the same issue, the issue persisted on both SD and eMMC on OFW. The same thing also happens on playing from game cartridge.
Post automatically merged:

There are various RAM patches available for overclocking and if your RAM doesn't support them there can be various glitches like NAND/SD card corruption, stuttering music, graphical artifacts. Hard to find information about these specific artifact though. That's the closest thing I can compare to RAM hardware failure. If you wanted to you could always underclock the ram with sys-clk to see if the issues still keep happening.

I have no idea about reflow.

I will try to check that by underclocking the RAM with sys-clk, perhaps it could give different results.

larryboylow

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Any update if this is fixable, mine is showing the same symptom, but seems to only affect graphic intensive games. Downclocking RAM/GPU/CPU and installing in NAND doesn't help as well. Thanks.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any update if this is fixable, mine is showing the same symptom, but seems to only affect graphic intensive games. Downclocking RAM/GPU/CPU and installing in NAND doesn't help as well. Thanks.
From what was stated above. This seems like a hardware failure. If the system is under warranty I suggest getting it replaced by Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol