Hacking Nintendo switch CFW questions

Columbianshark

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK first off let me say that I am very new to all this so please forgive me.Im learning new things every day about the ins and outs of modding the switch.I have ordered the Executer SX Pro and have my files loaded and ready to go on my MicroSD card.I got an email from Nintendo the other day anouncing System update 6.0.0 .Do I need to install this update?What will happen if I dont?Will this update negatively effect SXOS?Can I run cart dumps on a switch that is not running CFW?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK first off let me say that I am very new to all this so please forgive me.Im learning new things every day about the ins and outs of modding the switch.I have ordered the Executer SX Pro and have my files loaded and ready to go on my MicroSD card.I got an email from Nintendo the other day anouncing System update 6.0.0 .Do I need to install this update?What will happen if I dont?Will this update negatively effect SXOS?Can I run cart dumps on a switch that is not running CFW?
  • You will only need to install this update if you plan to use online features of your console such as using the eShop, playing online, or even updating your games officially
  • If you don't install this update, you will be unable to do any of the things listed above as well as enjoy some Toad avatars nor utilize the features of their paid online service
  • SX OS claims to have support for firmware 6.0 as of SX OS V1.9 however I believe LayeredFS does not work on firmware 6.0
  • If by cart dumps you mean .XCI files, you will be unable to load them without CFW since the console is not designed to read .XCI files outside of retail cartridges inserted into the gamecart slot (aka the SD card)

Columbianshark

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if cart dumps save as xci files cause I haven't done it yet.I have a lot of physical carts I wanted to back up and was hoping I could run them on ofw to avoid changing carts.The switch I am planning on modding will only go online to access the nxshop to get new titles and then go right offline again.Do you think I'll be safe?

• You will only need to install this update if you plan to use online features of your console such as using the eShop, playing online, or even updating your games officially
  • If you don't install this update, you will be unable to do any of the things listed above as well as enjoy some Toad avatars nor utilize the features of their paid online service
  • SX OS claims to have support for firmware 6.0 as of SX OS V1.9 however I believe LayeredFS does not work on firmware 6.0
  • If by cart dumps you mean .XCI files, you will be unable to load them without CFW since the console is not designed to read .XCI files outside of retail cartridges inserted into the gamecart slot (aka the SD card)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know if cart dumps save as xci files cause I haven't done it yet.I have a lot of physical carts I wanted to back up and was hoping I could run them on ofw to avoid changing carts.The switch I am planning on modding will only go online to access the nxshop to get new titles and then go right offline again.Do you think I'll be safe?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartridge dumps do save as .XCI files (XCI stands for nX Cartridge Image where NX is the codename for the Switch). And you literally cannot load them in OFW because OFW doesn't support loading of .XCI files from outside of the cartridge slot. Also by using NXShop instead of the eShop to get your titles, you are putting your own console at risk for getting banned for using a homebrew app to download from Nintendo's CDN; it is most definitely not safe. Taking a hacked console online is never going to be 100% safe.

Columbianshark

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK thanks for the info.As far as the NX shop goes I was planning on only using it to quickly grab the newest titles as they are released then pop offline again.I figured Id be safe but if you disagree then I guess I can play it safe and just wait for the titles on bit torrent.Its just that Im not seeing all titles there.For example I am not seeing the new crossword game there.Is there another source that you can recommend to get newer titles?I definately want super mario party,super smash and yoshi as soon as they are released.Also this is actually my 3rd switch that will be on a new account and stay offline in airplane mode most of the time.I do not plan on using online services at all with this switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs