Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From GoNintendo:

"At Nintendo’s request, the Hong Kong High Court has intervened to help stop a global distribution operation involving game copying devices and modification chips (”mod chips”) that violate its copyrights and trademarks in the Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ systems.

On Oct. 8th, the court ordered the raid of Supreme Factory Limited facilities. During a three-day period, Nintendo representatives seized more than 10,000 game copying devices and mod chips. The game copying devices connect to the Nintendo DS and are used to copy and play game files offered unlawfully via the Internet. The mod chips allow the play of pirated Wii discs or illegal copies of Nintendo games downloaded from the Internet."

The full article

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good job, Nintendo.

Even though I'm a pirate myself, I would do the same thing in their shoes.

I couldn't agree more... I wouldn't like it when they really could stop piracy, but I think it's their duty to do something. Otherwise it really could hurt them in the end. I mean my collegue told me she and her boyfriend had a modded wii at home. They both didn't play games before so it's great they now bought a wii. But because they have a modded one I started worrying. If every Joe in the street knows an adress where they can get a mod for their wii, where does it end?

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, manufacture, that was the word I couldn't come up with!
smile.gif

Ikonz101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supreme Factory Ltd. manufacturers the CycloDS..Thats the same place I have to send my CycloDS to get it replaced because it crapped the bed after 1 month
wink2.gif
So now I am looking at a R4...

Maybe thats why the CycloDS has had such shortages
wink.gif

Ikonz101

Rev Jim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
frown.gif
 This sucks. But there's a reason piracy has got so big, and that's because it's so easy...

- Sam

Yeah, that'd be reason number one.

Reason number two, too many games cost too much money.

On a side note, the industry doesn't play fair, they shouldn't expect the same of every consumer really. All of them have done their share of questionable practices to get our money however possible, some of us are going to find ways not to give them our money all the time whether it be used games, piracy, retro-gaming or the competition.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damn well good thing I don't buy from neither of those 3 companies. I know where it's a bad idea to be spreading your financial information.

pdbpdb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe that is the factory where Team Cyclops manufacture the CycloDS.

Looks like I wont be getting one of them after all.

Edit - Apologies. I didn't see the post further up.

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
It does suck for them, really.
They seem to be a decent team, but then again, they are making money off of someone else's work.

TaeK

Trophies
Website
d4nart.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just quote the whole press release, evade the blogspam:

QUOTE said:
Hong Kong Raid Nets 10,000 Products Used to Play Pirated Nintendo Software High Court Intervenes to Stop Distribution, Freeze Assets

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- At Nintendo's request, the Hong Kong High Court has intervened to help stop a global distribution operation involving game copying devices and modification chips ("mod chips") that violate its copyrights and trademarks in the Nintendo DS? and Wii? systems.

On Oct. 8th, the court ordered the raid of Supreme Factory Limited facilities. During a three-day period, Nintendo representatives seized more than 10,000 game copying devices and mod chips. The game copying devices connect to the Nintendo DS and are used to copy and play game files offered
unlawfully via the Internet. The mod chips allow the play of pirated Wii discs or illegal copies of Nintendo games downloaded from the Internet.
The search also turned up volumes of documents reflecting the scope of the operation. The Supreme Factory Limited has ties to a French company, Divineo SARL, and its principal, Max Louarn, who are also named in the legal action initiated by Nintendo. The High Court prohibited the companies from further
distribution of the devices and from disposing a portion of their assets worldwide, and ordered that such assets be frozen pending outcome of the legal proceedings.
"Piracy affects the entire video game industry, from large companies to independent developers," says Jodi Daugherty, Nintendo of America's senior director for anti-piracy. "It can destroy years of hard work by a team of very talented software developers, who strive to create games consumers enjoy
playing. Copying the developers' work and spreading the game files globally is blatant stealing."
Piracy not only affects Nintendo, but also more than 100 companies that independently create, license, market and sell Nintendo video game products. Nintendo and these companies lost an estimated $762 million in sales due to counterfeits in 2006.
This action is one of several that Nintendo has initiated over the years against game copiers and mod chips. In 2005, Nintendo was awarded more than $5 million in damages from the Hong Kong High Court against Lik Sang, a company responsible for the widespread distribution of game copying devices. In
another case, a U.S. judge ordered Bung Enterprises to pay Nintendo $7 million in damages in connection with its involvement in manufacturing and distribution of such products.
The worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii?, Nintendo DS?, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube? systems. Since 1983, Nintendo has sold nearly 2.4 billion video
games and more than 420 million hardware units globally, and has created industry icons like Mario?, Donkey KongÂ, MetroidÂ, Zelda? and PokemonÂ. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at http://www.nintendo.com.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damn well good thing I don't buy from neither of those 3 companies. I know where it's a bad idea to be spreading your financial information.

if you bought from them or diveno your personal info will most likely be sold to korean gansters you will steal your idenity and take alll you monies !

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's very, very hypocritical to say this but when I go to Hong Kong, pirated games is the last thing I would even consider buying but I would be happy to pick up chips/flashcarts without a thought. I guess it's because of this the DS flashcarts are highly popular and profitable compared to making counterfeit DS carts.

Nonetheless, someone pointed this out about piracy raids. When one closes, 3 will take it's place.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Supreme Factory Limited facilities?

Is this a cart group? Or do they just sell them?

Neither. They manufacture them.

I wonder if anyone of note uses them to manufacture their cards or modchips. If so we may suddenly find there are a lot of shortages.
Supreme are wholesalers, they deal directly with the manufacturers (though they may well now be manufacturing stuff in house, I suspect that would be wrather dumb and expose more than just their stock to legal action.) There are quite a few people thinking they are sending stuff to the manufacturer, or dealing directly with the manufacturers - in most cases this is not true, you are just dealing with the distributors.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damn well good thing I don't buy from neither of those 3 companies. I know where it's a bad idea to be spreading your financial information.

if you bought from them or diveno your personal info will most likely be sold to korean gansters you will steal your idenity and take alll you monies !

that is the least of the worries, more worried about information getting into the wrong hands e.g. people who deal with government politics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1