Nintendo says they will auto-install future updates.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by idunnoilikends, Nov 18, 2008.

1. idunnoilikends
    OP

Member idunnoilikends GBAtemp Fan

United States
    UPDATES AND UPGRADES

We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/w...ivacyPolicy.jsp

2. fishears

Member fishears fishears

United Kingdom
    time to turn off your internet connection

3. gumbyscout

Member gumbyscout GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is not good....... How am I supposed the check the weather randomly now and do wifi stuff without them making my a wii a vanilla wii? I was hoping that my paranoia wouldn't have a reason to exist. Hopefully stuff like starfall might help in your wii not being upgraded without your permission, or hopefully someone will come up with a way to make it where it always asks you for confirmation on whether or not you want your wii to be "fixed".

4. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    How will they do this? If they will do it while a Wii is on standby (orange light), the alternative is to disable it or lose the connection (unless auto-update will also occur while the Wii is on)...

5. Jran Sakarra

Member Jran Sakarra GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I pray the person above me is right!

6. Luriden

Member Luriden GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've disabled WiiConnect24 for now until we know what's going on. I can do without COD5 online for awhile.

I'm sure there will be a workaround eventually, but I'm not taking any chances until that workaround is released and proved to be working properly.

7. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wow...since when did they change their contract and got the owners permission to update? Who signed it?

There will be a lawsuit for this soon, if they really do, do this.

I just turned off my Standby Connection for now.

8. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    welcome to the club , I did that last night , just to be on the safe side , though didn't get a massage for the new update yet , but caution is good [​IMG]

9. MrBubbles

Member MrBubbles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This isn't new so why make a topic? Did you assume everyone here didn't know or better yet, read the "3.4" thread?

Derp, why am I saying this? Well because you're inviting people like these two over here to act like IT'S ALL LOST, TURNING OFF WIICONNECT 24.

BECAUSE WHEN MY WII GOT A MESSAGE ABOUT THE UPDATE, IT DIDN'T DECIDE TO UPDATE THEN, WHAT'S STOPPING IT FROM UPDATING NOW?

AKDAJDKAJD

IT won't update. Goddamn it, how many times does it have to be said so it sinks in to people?

When. Your. Wii. Got. A. Blue. Light. Did. It. Update.

No.

So. Why. Will. It. Update. Now.

Think. Goddamn. It. Think.

1) 3.3 and below won't update.
    2) Nintendo didn't release 3.4 just to UPDATE AGAIN on the same day. So if you have updated, which is your fault, your chances of having another update in a row are slim.

10. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Unless Nintendo 1337 h4x0rs every Wii across the world and injects their updates into them, you Wii won't be able to update itself yet. Most likely, the System Menu has the code to check for recent updates, and if they are present, it will pop up everyone's favorite little blue progress bar and just go ahead. Discs may do the same too.

Besides, it would be illegal to do so without you accepting the new policy.