Nintendo Resuming Let's Play Takedowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is increasingly making bad decisions.
- the Wii U gamepad (fail)
- the Wii U itself (fail)
- cracking down on nintendo gamers (fail).
- no Mario Kart 8 for Christmas 2013 (fail).

This is offtopic, but this is really stupid. Allow me to contribute with my own:

-Xbox One controller no touch pad. (fail)
-Xbox One itself (fail)
-Making people pay for Xbox Live (fail)
-No God of War 4, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Last of Us 2, LittleBigPlanet3, Banjo Kazooie for Christmas (fail).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so we are blaming nintendo for youtube's fuck up because other companies are backing up users... got it...

No. We are blaming Nintendo because they're letting YT's content ID system remove videos and not doing a damn thing about it to reinstate said videos. Other companies are allowing users to counterclaim the ID mismatch should their videos get it and doing just the opposite of Nintendo. YouTube is the one to blame when it comes down to it for their effing system, yes, but Nintendo isn't lessening the problem since they don't care enough. Valve, Ubisoft, etc however, will help the users if it happens. Stop trying to twist what I'm trying to say. Again, Nintendo isn't directly responsible, but they're like the troll who gives the person afraid to jump off the diving board a slight tap so they fall.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the games themselves are copyrighted, not an original creation of someone playing said game.

Companies have the right to allow/disallow what is shown on YouTube; Nintendo hates it, but other third parties don't mind people using said material at all. If people don't believe that, I can most assuredly provide evidence, proof that there are companies that allow let's play videos ;)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Let's Plays
>original content
Well one's ideas of what's considered entertainment has no bearing on whether or not Nintendo or youtube should be removing videos. Also 4Chan quotes are annoying.

Companies have the right to allow/disallow what is shown on YouTube; Nintendo hates it, but other third parties don't mind people using said material at all. If people don't believe that, I can most assuredly provide evidence, proof that there are companies that allow let's play videos ;)
They have a right as long as it's content they created (like Disney requesting a takedown on one of their movies). Youtube is a privately owned website and ultimately it is their responsibility to make sure nothing illegal is on the site. We should not be allowing corporations to police the internet.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have a right as long as it's content they created (like Disney requesting a takedown on one of their movies). Youtube is a privately owned website and ultimately it is their responsibility to make sure nothing illegal is on the site. We should not be allowing corporations to police the internet.

No, and I agree, but money can silence many a mouth, companies have powerful lawyers, luckily I haven't had a problem, but I do need to be cautious and counterclaim any bullshit content ID claim I get on allowed videos. YouTube jackholes. :angry:

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
That really sucks.
I don't understand the mentality behind DOING this.
People are playing their games and pretty much showing people reasons to BUY the game if the lets play is good.
Sad really, and isn't this the same reason why Sakurai is opting not to put cutscenes in the new smash bros?
Because old men. It's not young programmers or game enthusiasts who are executives. It's not even marketing or Public relations. It's old men who don't understand social media, don't want to understand it, who don't really understand buzz and generating hype (I mean look at the WiiU. Tell me anyone thinks it's being marketed well) and just expect to dominate the markets by destroying anything that smells like competition and shrinking consumer options.

They're old men who are used to a model that changed around them. And because they have seniority people are afraid to be like "well... actually this sort of helps us." That's how it works here in Korea at least. Look up the Korean airlines racial blunder or the management of Asiana crash press.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since when?

Since before your time. If you use the video I made recording myself playing Paper Mario, please give me credit for it; that's the courteous thing to do. Also, in hundreds of Youtube videos featuring Nintendo work, I have always seen the uploader give credit to Nintendo for inspiring the content.

Reactions: the_randomizer
D

Dork

Well one's ideas of what's considered entertainment has no bearing on whether or not Nintendo or youtube should be removing videos.
What are you talking about? I'm not telling you what should be considered entertainment, I'm telling you putting a voice over on a clip of a video game with minimal editing isn't original content.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since before your time. If you use the video I made recording myself playing Paper Mario, please give me credit for it; that's the courteous thing to do. Also, in hundreds of Youtube videos featuring Nintendo work, I have always seen the uploader give credit to Nintendo for inspiring the content.

I am not sure if we are debating the same point, Subtle Demise appeared to contend that a Let's Play of a game bypassed the copyright of the game copyright owner (either by being so utterly transformative as to do so or falling into fair use somehow) and instead made an entirely new work which I hold is not the case at all, I have said my bit there before though. You seem to be discussing giving credit which is a whole other ball game. Still given my era could (it doesn't but I am just about old enough) include the likes of Mystery Science Theater which quite notably sourced public domain and cheap rights films (though the point at which the lines blurred and such things became part of its act we could probably debate endlessly) to avoid what is basically just this problem.... actually I am not sure where this is going.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g_idshabbading.jpg

nintendo is not without blame but we know who bears the most responsibility for this

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure if we are debating the same point, Subtle Demise appeared to contend that a Let's Play of a game bypassed the copyright of the game copyright owner (either by being so utterly transformative as to do so or falling into fair use somehow) and instead made an entirely new work which I hold is not the case at all, I have said my bit there before though. You seem to be discussing giving credit which is a whole other ball game. Still given my era could (it doesn't but I am just about old enough) include the likes of Mystery Science Theater which quite notably sourced public domain and cheap rights films (though the point at which the lines blurred and such things became part of its act we could probably debate endlessly) to avoid what is basically just this problem.... actually I am not sure where this is going.

Yes, it is what you said about the Mystery Science Theater. People weren't as picky about where lines were blurred as they are now. Such a shame, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr