Nintendo Resuming Let's Play Takedowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Not to be in the defense of Nintendo but they did before provide the samples so that they know which video is their own intellectual property, but then they plaster ads all over it, but it seems those samples are now used to remove anything now thanks to the automated system. (Not that I get why Nintendo would provide samples in the first place to hinder free advertising because they want to have more control/ads/plain old GREED but whatever... serves them right)

Now that the various yt screwups no longer cover the additional optional stuff (ie comments, g+ accounts) but extend now to the videos themselves with that loading "feature" and now this... That should be it for them. Time for Dailymotion and Vimeo.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
fucking POS google is just as much to blame ,if not more

The automated system doesn't work without Nintendo's input - they willingly participate in the takedown program and they specify the terms of takedowns. Besides, Nintendo officials already voiced out their opinions about Youtube more than once, Smash Bros.'s lack of a story mode debacle comes to mind. They believe Let's Plays and other Youtube content "ruins fun" and they're entitled to that opinion... even though it's dumb as hell.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 Nintendo isn't to blame, it's those douchebag Google programmers who made the effing content ID system. I've counterclaimed two videos already and they're still up and the content ID message went away when I told the system (in this case, Square Enix flag) the video was wrongly flagged. Seemed to work fine.

The whole system is asinine. I guess Nintendo hates free advertising to promote the Wii U. Guess they would rather market it themselves....oh wait.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
All of you saying "its google/youtubes fault not the game publishers etc" would be mostly correct if you were talking about anyone other than Nintendo. Nintendo are actually completely against the monetization of any videos containing Nintendo game footage or music, and now have taken a turn for the worst and are actually seeking for those videos to be deleted outright. If you appeal a content ID match for pretty much any other game publishers content they will help you resolve and remove the strike, Nintendo on the other hand reject your appeal and issue a copyright strike against you. All it takes is three strikes and your entire channel gets deleted along with all its content so please stop making out that NIntendo are oblivious about everything that is going on here because they FULLY support it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 Nintendo isn't to blame, it's those douchebag Google programmers who made the effing content ID system. I've counterclaimed two videos already and they're still up and the content ID message went away when I told the system (in this case, Square Enix flag) the video was wrongly flagged. Seemed to work fine.

The whole system is asinine. I guess Nintendo hates free advertising to promote the Wii U. Guess they would rather market it themselves....oh wait.

The system is too restrictive, but Nintendo is willingly participating in it knowing that this is the state of matters, so they're not entirely innocent in this matter, we can stop pretending that they are already.

Reactions: p1ngpong

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system is too restrictive, but Nintendo is willingly participating in it knowing that this is the state of matters, so they're not entirely innocent in this matter, we can stop pretending that they are already.

No, I haven't received a ID from Nintendo as my videos have never been monetized, but I should avoid Nintendo videos and go with third party videos instead (like Konami, Capcom, etc). After hearing about how stupid they're being with videos, yeah, best to avoid using them.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of you saying "its google/youtubes fault not the game publishers etc" would be mostly correct if you were talking about anyone other than Nintendo. Nintendo are actually completely against the monetization of any videos containing Nintendo game footage or music, and now have taken a turn for the worst and are actually seeking for those videos to be deleted outright. If you appeal a content ID match for pretty much any other game publishers content they will help you resolve and remove the strike, Nintendo on the other hand reject your appeal and issue a copyright strike against you. All it takes is three strikes and your entire channel gets deleted along with all its content so please stop making out that NIntendo are oblivious about everything that is going on here because they FULLY support it.

So...

>Youtube puts ads on their videos to generate revenue.
>Nintendo doesn't like that and removes the videos with their content.

Now who's fault is it? And what happens when two corporations fight with each other? Who suffers more? Here's another example:

Youtube (or Google (or both)) forces you to post in all three of your G+ channels to generate even more revenue.
Gamerspawn removes themselves from Youtube. And they had been on there since 2008 and had over 3 million subscribers.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...

>Youtube puts ads on their videos to generate revenue.
>Nintendo doesn't like that and removes the videos with their content.

Now who's fault is it? And what happens when two corporations fight with each other? Who suffers more? Here's another example:

Youtube (or Google (or both)) forces you to post in all three of your G+ channels to generate even more revenue.
Gamerspawn removes themselves from Youtube. And they had been on there since 2008 and had over 3 million subscribers.

Simple, I believe both parties involved are at fault and for some reason, Nintendo hates advertising, free or otherwise. Which is ironic as one would think that advertisement, esp. for the Wii U, would be beneficial and get more people to want to buy one. I think the removal is counterproductive and hurts more than it benefits, I wish there was something we could do to prevent unfair removal:unsure:

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple, I believe both parties involved are at fault and for some reason, Nintendo hates advertising, free or otherwise. Which is ironic as one would think that advertisement, esp. for the Wii U, would be beneficial and get more people to want to buy one. I think the removal is counterproductive and hurts more than it benefits, I wish there was something we could do to prevent unfair removal:unsure:

Well they do like to handle the advertising themselves. But the phrase "love defeats all" comes to mind when trying to prevent Nintendo from copyrighting your video. Maybe that's what video descriptions need. "We're uploading this video because we love you Nintendo and want to share the love to anyone who'll watch." I don't think Nintendo would be heartless enough to remove the video then. Or if that doesn't work, then you could send a request to Nintendo asking if you can make a video featuring something they've made.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well they do like to handle the advertising themselves. But the phrase "love defeats all" comes to mind when trying to prevent Nintendo from copyrighting your video. Maybe that's what video descriptions need. "We're uploading this video because we love you Nintendo and want to share the love to anyone who'll watch." I don't think Nintendo would be heartless enough to remove the video then. Or if that doesn't work, then you could send a request to Nintendo asking if you can make a video featuring something they've made.

Ain't gonna hold my breath, but I guess I could try one of those two ideas :P if they take it down, then it would prove that they are indeed relentless ;) That, and my videos never get enough views to even be monetized anyways lol.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't remove the video, they just receive all ad revenue from it. At least, that's my understanding. Nintendo has always been kinda dickish about their IPs so it doesn't really surprise me.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't remove the video, they just receive all ad revenue from it. At least, that's my understanding. Nintendo has always been kinda dickish about their IPs so it doesn't really surprise me.

Then why did the OP's video get flagged and removed? That doesn't make sense to me.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
OP
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Here's how it works.

1) Initial Content ID match. If video is monetized, ad revenue goes to claimant. If not, nothing happens. (~10% of my videos are flagged)
2) Uploader disputes. In retrospect, this was a mistake due to the above. Claimant has 30 days to confirm, or ad revenue goes back to uploader. (I disputed 100%)
3) Claimant reinstates claim. Uploader is watched carefully through their windows at night. (Claim reinstated 95% of the time)
4) Uploader redisputes through a much lengthier form. Legal action is threatened against uploader. (Again, I did this 100%)
5) Claimant insists that the content is theirs. Monetized or not (mine was not), the video is taken down, and heavy restrictions are placed on the uploader. (has only happened once, even with Nintendo)

6) Uploader redisputes. Again. This is a very ballsy move, and I took it.
YouTube said:
A counter-notification is a legal notification to YouTube that the claimant has made a mistake or misidentified your content. To prevent your content from being reinstated to YouTube, the claimant must sue you. If you are not prepared to face the claimant in court, you should not proceed with a counter-notification. If there is any part of this process that is unclear to you, please consult with a lawyer.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how it works.

1) Initial Content ID match. If video is monetized, ad revenue goes to claimant. If not, nothing happens. (~10% of my videos are flagged)
2) Uploader disputes. In retrospect, this was a mistake due to the above. Claimant has 30 days to confirm, or ad revenue goes back to uploader. (I disputed 100%)
3) Claimant reinstates claim. Uploader is watched carefully through their windows at night. (Claim reinstated 95% of the time)
4) Uploader redisputes through a much lengthier form. Legal action is threatened against uploader. (Again, I did this 100%)
5) Claimant insists that the content is theirs. Monetized or not (mine was not), the video is taken down, and heavy restrictions are placed on the uploader.

6) Uploader redisputes. Again. This is a very ballsy move, and I took it.

Yeah, I sent a claim on one of my videos after it was matched as being Square Enix, which I don't think would be nearly as strict as Nintendo. Admittedly, I was nervous when I submitted the counterclaim that it was wrongfully flagged, but my account is fine at least for now. I gotta be careful what I upload, unfair as their policies may be. Have you heard back from them? Was the video was reinstated back to your account? As for them actually suing, I hardly think Nintendo is going to over something innocuous like a video.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
OP
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Have you heard back from them? Was the video was reinstated back to your account?
As of 5 minutes ago, the video is still down, and I'm being lax on my other flagged videos. I thought I submitted a counter-notification, but YouTube kinda makes it look like I didn't. Starting to doubt my memory here.

As for them actually suing, I hardly think Nintendo is going to over something innocuous like a video.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I did the above, especially since my video had only ~250 views.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of 5 minutes ago, the video is still down, and I'm being lax on my other flagged videos. I thought I submitted a counter-notification, but YouTube kinda makes it look like I didn't. Starting to doubt my memory here.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I did the above, especially since my video had only ~250 views.

My views don't get very high anymore, so I doubt they would pose any threat to their "marketing". If anything, I want to make some videos that promote the Wii U, but I see when I get home. Nintendo wouldn't possible try and sue every single person on YouTube :P

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As you can see, Nintendo has started taking down videos of Let's Plays. Not just monetized ones, but even non-monetized. Because of this takedown, I am unable to post videos longer than 15 minutes (which is just about every speedrun, my channel's main content).

Nintendo is run by morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: