Nintendo repair

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by resincake, Sep 29, 2009.

Sep 29, 2009

Nintendo repair by resincake at 10:35 AM (1,124 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. resincake
    OP

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have tried asking this in other forums but have just been told, essentially Im stupid. :/

I have to send my Wii to nintendo to repair, but before I do I want to remove any homebrew and stuff so that there won't be a problem.

I understand how to remove bootmii with the hackmii installer, and how to remove hidden/cusatom channels and IOS's above 200 with anytitledeleter. If after doing that I run a system memory format from the wii menu's, will my console then be safe to send back to Nintendo so that they will repair it under my warranty ? Or do I need to do any more steps ? As anyone had experience with this or a similar situation ?

I know I could simply upgrade to menu 4.2, but when I get it back then, I wont be able to continue using homebrew again (as of this moment), so thats not an option for me.

Thankyou immensely for any advice or suggestions on this subject. I am eager to have my wii sent off and returned in good working order, as I play it daily . :>

2. Nerdii

Banned Nerdii Banned

Australia
    Formatting a Wii with any traces of homebrew on it is a BAD idea.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Even without the reformat I think its safe (depends on what you installed though, but if its only channels and cIOS, TD should work)
    Reformatting isn't recommended anyway

There is a chance Nintendo updates it though

But Why do you want to send it in?

4. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Naturally! Because it needs repair.

5. resincake
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yes, I need to send it in because the DVD Drive as stopped working ..

So, if I do the procedure as I have stated, without reformatting, it should be ok to send back to Nintendo ? (I hope they dont update it, would be gutted to have it back with system menu 4.2 on it. Although there'll probably be a working exploit soon anyway, I like to stick to the way i know ;>)

thanks for the replies btw guys, really helpful .. :>

6. nadoon

Banned nadoon Banned

United Arab Emirates
    Don't send it to Nintendo [​IMG] Send it to a workshop. They wouldn't care about your homebrew and it's much safer. Trust Me [​IMG]

7. isoku

Newcomer isoku Advanced Member

United States
    Nintendo outsources their repair services to another company. I sent in my Wii that had homebrew installed and received it back with all custom/downloadable channels uninstalled. This probably had to do with the fact that it was a just a consequence of the repair though. Still I was able to reinstall everything just fine.

8. mja7033

Newcomer mja7033 Member

United States
    ^ yeah i just sent in my wii yesterday to Nintendo because it froze on me after i updated it (i needed an update to play the medriod trilogy game). before my wii froze it had the homebrew channel on it but because it froze after it made an update i dont know if its still there.

After the update, my wii froze and every time now when i would try to turn on my wii, the green light would appear, but nothing after that. I could hear the disc inside trying to read, in fact i bet it was reading but the wii would have no picture or video. So, with the above post, does that mean I wont get in trouble? I wonder if the homebrew channel deleted itself after it updated?

9. resincake
    OP

United Kingdom
    Definately a few things to consider, on my end.

mja7033, let us know what happens when you get the Wii back will you, what, if anything, was said by nintendo. If they charged you. Was homebrew channel removed (probably). was it updated to 4.2 (although that doesn't seem a problem now), etc ..

If you want to PM me that info when you get the Wii back that would be awesome, but if not I will keep checking this thread periodically in case you replied here..

thx man

:>

10. mja7033

Newcomer mja7033 Member

United States
    i shall do that, i just checked my order and they received it yesterday. hopefully i get it back soon!

11. aaron_McNiven

Newcomer aaron_McNiven Advanced Member

Australia
    its a bad idea? lol 0.0 once i sold my wii on eBay i deleted all home brew stuff and updated it with Nintendo updater not any home brew one. It was on 3.2 and i don't know what it updated to but it was a little after the beginning of this year. and it was fine. was i cutting it close to a bricked wii?