Nintendo "Project Café" Rumor Superthread

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On par with the Xbox 360 and PS3? Wow it took them 6 years.
Nice timing too, since Sony and Microsoft should be anouncing their next gen consoles (which should be better than this one) after a year or two.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like the concept of the Wii much better, but they were viewed by most people as "casual" from this generation.

They got all the casual people's money, and casual people won't want to upgrade that quickly so they're probably switching back to a controller so no one complains about standing up.

I knew they weren't going to just make an HD Wii. Nintendo is much better than that. However, I had absolutely no idea they would announce it this early. I still don't really believe all these rumors.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fabis94 said:
Nice timing too, since Sony and Microsoft should be anouncing their next gen consoles (which should be better than this one) after a year or two.
yeah and look how that worked for them this gen concentrating on nothing but power and gfx
smileipb2.png

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said in the other thread, just wanted remind people of all the rumors about the Wii that weren't true, reported on many of the same gaming websites:

-That it would have a touch screen controller
-That it would not have a d-pad or other traditional buttons
-That it would have a "projector" that projected the action in midair
-That it would have a "pressure sensitive" controller (similar to the back touch screen on the NGP, actually)
-That it would use HD-DVD
-That it would launch in March 2006
-That it would have a form of head tracking where you could view the action from different perspectives by moving around the room

Do I beleive some of the "cafe" rumors will turn out to be true? Yes. Do I believe a lot of them will be junk? Also yes. Right now the only thing I believe is that will be out holiday 2012 and be HD and powerful. That's about it.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Fabis94 said:
On par with the Xbox 360 and PS3? Wow it took them 6 years.
They both claim 10 year lifecycles on their current consoles, so 2 or 3 years.

awssk8er said:
They got all the casual people's money, and casual people won't want to upgrade that quickly so they're probably switching back to a controller so no one complains about standing up.
The casual folk are the same people what got bored with the atari etc., which forced the 5 year lifecycle, which has been used since NES.

QUOTE(mysticwaterfall @ Apr 17 2011, 01:25 PM)
Like I said in the other thread, just wanted remind people of all the rumors about the Wii that weren't true, reported on many of the same gaming websites:

-That it would have a touch screen controllerDS?
-That it would not have a d-pad or other traditional buttonswiimote had no button early on in development didn't it?
-That it would have a "pressure sensitive" controller (similar to the back touch screen on the NGP, actually)
-That it would have a form of head tracking where you could view the action from different perspectives by moving around the roomjohnny whatever did this with a wiimote, maybe nintendo tried it?

Do I beleive some of the "cafe" rumors will turn out to be true? Yes. Do I believe a lot of them will be junk? Also yes. Right now the only thing I believe is that will be out holiday 2012 and be HD and powerful. That's about it.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
mysticwaterfall said:

-That it would have a touch screen controllerDS?
-That it would not have a d-pad or other traditional buttonswiimote had no button early on in development didn't it?
-That it would have a form of head tracking where you could view the action from different perspectives by moving around the roomjohnny whatever did this with a wiimote, maybe nintendo tried it?

As GamesRadar described it (June 2005), it doesn't fit the DS at all:

"The controller for Nintendo's upcoming Revolution console will feature gyroscopic, tilt-sensitive technology, an LCD touch screen, and a greatly reduced number of face buttons, according to documentation on the US patent website"
-----
All of the early prototypes shown to us by Nintendo (even the bizarre Star one) had at least 3 buttons. They all have D-pads except again, for the bizarre star one. See pic below from kotaku.

wii_prototypes.jpg
----
Nintendo could have tried anything, but this doesn't mean it's going to happen. Since VB, they've had numerous attempts at 3D that never left in house until the 3DS came out.

Mondegreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really hope this console is going to be amazingly powerful, whilst still retaining the great Nintendo franchises. Back when the NES first came out, it had power that the other systems could only dream of. Now, the Wii is hardly more powerful than the Gamecube, and, well, I'm not going to mention the DS. Nintendo seems to be moving in a better direction with the 3DS though.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
Back when the NES first came out, it had power that the other systems could only dream of.

Only about 6 months later the Sega Master System came out, which was a fair wack more powerful. Didn't make it the better system though. Also see the Game Boy vs the Lynx and Game Gear. There wasn't all that much in it between the SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis and Turbografx16/PC-Engine, and all three were blown away spec-wise by the Neo-Geo.

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
Back when the NES first came out, it had power that the other systems could only dream of.

Only about 6 months later the Sega Master System came out, which was a fair wack more powerful. Didn't make it the better system though. Also see the Game Boy vs the Lynx and Game Gear. There wasn't all that much in it between the SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis and Turbografx16/PC-Engine, and all three were blown away spec-wise by the Neo-Geo.

Agreed, the NES was the first third gen console and it was obviously more advanced than the various atari's before it. The Sega Master System (the first console I ever played) was far superior in terms of specs but (in my opinion) only had a few decent games like Sonic the Hedgehog which I preferred to the Genesis version and Alex Kidd in Shinobi Land

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Bladexdsl said:
that's just ridiculous as if their going to make a controller like that 1 controller will cost the fucking same as a 3ds!!
Because the touch screen is what makes the 3DS expensive. it's not like they're dirt cheap and in everything now. It's not like they've been around for several decades. No, of course not.

Edit: First post since my suspension expired. Next time, mods, tell me what I did please.

madmikeuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Okay new post for new content. What the hell is this? Someone just posted it in an IRC channel of mine:

Looks way too unrefined for Nintendo hardware...

On the subject of "Custom IBM tri-core PowerPC CPU", that sounds *very* similar to the 3.2GHz Tri-Core "Xenon" CPU in the Xbox 360... has IBM reused the Xenon design to develop "Project Café"'s CPU, or has the 'source' used this as inspiration for a made-up console? Both the 360 and "Project Café" have AMD graphics too (though the 360 obviously doesn't have an R700 family GPU)... sounds eerily similar to the 360, which could be a tip-off for a false spec. Just a thought

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
madmikeuk said:
Midna said:
Okay new post for new content. What the hell is this? Someone just posted it in an IRC channel of mine:

Looks way too unrefined for Nintendo hardware...

On the subject of "Custom IBM tri-core PowerPC CPU", that sounds *very* similar to the 3.2GHz Tri-Core "Xenon" CPU in the Xbox 360... has IBM reused the Xenon design to develop "Project Café"'s CPU, or has the 'source' used this as inspiration for a made-up console? Both the 360 and "Project Café" have AMD graphics too (though the 360 obviously doesn't have an R700 family GPU)... sounds eerily similar to the 360, which could be a tip-off for a false spec. Just a thought
Hmm, Kotaku reported this. They said it came straight from /v/
I'll label it as none too credible then.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
Midna said:
-snip-
FAKE!
The screenshot has been taken straight from photoshop!
You can see the grey borders
biggrin.gif
IT may have been taken from photoshop, but that doesn't mean it's fake.

Mondegreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well it wouldn't have been too hard for someone to just create that, print it out and take a picture of it would it? I wouldn't be too disappointed if it actually looked like that though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: