Discussion Nintendo is using ISP's to catch pirates

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Dominator211, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Well, it seems like they are at it again, In a Spawnwave video I found out Nintendo is trying shutdown pirates by using ISP's. While this is a justified measure, I feel that they are going to look to the point of Narcissisticness. Searching frantically for anyone they can send a letter to. I mean I understand protecting their first party IP's but the over the top bullshit like what they have done in the past is what really makes me despise them as a company sometimes. I mean most of us can agree Nintendo is gonna go over the top with the ISP letters.

Link to Video:

2. blurx

blurx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Well don’t use public trackers or get a VPN. It’s the same story with movies.

Full Metal, Brawl345, Ra1d and 7 others like this.
  3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    even then are you 100% sure your safe?

4. pas7680

pas7680 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2007
    The music and movie industry have been doing this for years. If you dumb enough to be seeding torrents, then you're asking to get sued.

5. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    This is pretty normal happenstance for anyone that decides to pirates music/tv/movies via public torrent trackers.
    Not often you see this with software, but still not surprising.

6. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    With a VPN+Killswitch? Certainly.

The only reason people get caught torrenting/downloading is because they were doing so with their own unmasked IP. Which can then be reported to an ISP/Original content holder.

When using a VPN all your connections, downloads and uploads are through a different IP in a different location. Meaning they would not be able to acquire your IP and report you to your ISP. (You would of course, also want to go with a VPN that does not log data usage and allows for torrenting.)

Saviouz, Ty_, Uumas and 3 others like this.
  7. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Company defends its IP. People shocked worldwide.

8. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    dont download torrents, use DIRECT LINKS and you'll be fine

9. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Most hysteric pirates will agree

Saviouz likes this.
  10. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    The interesting thing here is that the guy in the video is the same guy who broke his switch with using the infamous Nyko dock.

11. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    yeah never touched torrents in months (last AUP violation I got was to fix my 3ds's nds mode oddly) which is why i want plantics to remove the magnet/torrent and start using off shore file hosters cause that can happen and did to me,since i changed my habits of not using torrents no emails so far

Last edited by chrisrlink, Dec 18, 2018
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    This is why torrents are almost always a bad idea. Either get PeerBlock + VPN, or don't download torrents.

Torrents are overrated, direct links are usually a lot safer.

I'm more worried about the people who are complacent with Nintendo's garbage handling of classic games on Switch.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Dec 18, 2018
    SaffronXL and StickIt2Ya77 like this.
  13. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Professional Lurker

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    This isn't new, I got a warning from my ISP once for torrenting Super Mario Galaxy back in the day.

For best results, use a VPN, set your torrent client to not seed, and check for reports of flagged torrents before downloading. Besides, I've had better luck finding nsps with direct links rather than torrents.

14. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I stopped using torrents a decade ago. Although I stopped downloading movies too (you can just stream them) I have never run into a problem of not finding a game without torrenting it.

15. TerpToke

TerpToke GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2018
    United States
    Ohigho
    I often wonder what truly triggers these kind of things. Been torrenting, streaming, and everything else in between for at least 15 years and not a single hiccup. Yet I've had friends get letters just for using streaming APK's like Showbox. As many gigs throughout the years I wonder if some just fall between the cracks.

16. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I once had an ISP that had a department setup to only to catch torrents. I'm sure there are other that do the same.

17. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Discord then. :)

18. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    what was the name of the ISP and main ones here in America?

19. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Dec 18, 2018, Reason: quit the bickering.
    Dec 18, 2018
  20. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    why dont well all just chill out a little?

21. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Dec 18, 2018, Reason: quit the bickering.
    Dec 18, 2018
  22. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    No just a regional one, you've never heard of it. There could be national ones that do it too I don't know.

23. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Dec 18, 2018, Reason: quit the bickering.
    Dec 18, 2018
  24. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Dec 18, 2018, Reason: quit the bickering.
    Dec 18, 2018
  25. the_randomizer
    Dec 18, 2018
  26. AmandaRose
    Dec 18, 2018
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted