Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
GBC. The original game by screen was just too... monochrome for me.
GBA SP was a big step forward as well.
And IMO the ds lite was just a step backwards (never did I have such a flimsy piece of plastic in my hands before), which they made up with the dsi.

Lelouch said:
How come you left out the original GBA? I liked the feel of it the best out of all the handheld systems so far. I voted for GBC though.
It's not a redesign, and this thread is about redesigns. And come to think of it, GBC is indeed a new console and not so much a redesign.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
GBC was mainly old GB hardware, the games were stored in an almost identical way the only difference was the addition of colour, many games worked in both GB and GBC (Link's Awakening DX for instance)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Game Boy Micro.

It's a shame so many things happened around that time though -- the DS took off, retailers completely eradicated GBA games from their shelves, etc etc. I don't think it really had a proper chance to gain a market. It's perfectly portable, has an amazing d-pad and buttons, and a screen that makes even crummy GBA games look gorgeous.

My second choice would have been the GBA SP2, and it would have been my first choice if there was no micro.
smile.gif

Lelouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Demonbart said:
GBC. The original game by screen was just too... monochrome for me.
GBA SP was a big step forward as well.
And IMO the ds lite was just a step backwards (never did I have such a flimsy piece of plastic in my hands before), which they made up with the dsi.

Lelouch said:
How come you left out the original GBA? I liked the feel of it the best out of all the handheld systems so far. I voted for GBC though.
It's not a redesign, and this thread is about redesigns. And come to think of it, GBC is indeed a new console and not so much a redesign.

Oh I see now, I'd change my answer to the gameboy pocket then
smile.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With all the little improvements over the years, I chose the GBA SP / SP2 ( should be merged in one category IMO, because the SP2 just made it even better, but not enough of a change to be regarded as such ).
For years the competition and other Gameboys wanna be , had backlit screens ! I remember when the GB came out in 1989 I was in high school and some of my friend had the Atari Lynx and everybody was amazed by the graphics and the fact that it was backlit, people would say it looked just like a TV !
I don't know how many handled revisions Nintendo went trough, and even when the GBA came out in the early 2000's it still wasn't backlit, while the Neo Geo Poket, Game Gear and other handleds had a backlite like from ever !
Of course if you started with the GBA SP you wouldn't think of how awful it was without a backlite, having to carry around a 3rd party external light, in recent years you kind of give it for granted.
And the rechargeable battery, just like a cell phone it was groundbreaking for a portable system, also we give it for granted nowadays, but God knows how much did I spent on AA batteries in the 90's !
The clam shell folding design was also an improvement, that even though it could be arguably less comfortable to hold, it totally annihilated the need for a 3rd party screen protector or case ( and making it look closer to the original GB design again ), so there you go , an unit that didn't need anything else attach to it to work properly.
To be honest I never purchased a GBA SP because at the time I personally installed an Afterburner in my GBA, so I already had a reasonable good front lit system.
But bow when the SP2 came out, even though it was late in the life cycle of the system, and I already had a DS ( phat ) at the time, the screen was so much better than any other GB, and fully compatible with every GB games out there ( don't forget that the DS only can play GBA games, wile the SP can play even GB and GB color games ), so it was a definitive purchase for me, and I always refer to it as the " definitive Gameboy experience " even better then playing GBA games on the DSL.
My second choice is the DSi XL over the DSL, ( I skipped the DSi entirely ) for obvious reasons.

Llama Riot

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I hadn't even thought about the battery, which is a huge oversight. I barely played GB/GBC while they were still in their primes b/c I had a Game Gear and the light meant the world to me, It wasn't until I could play them on SP/PC that I started to delve into them. The light/battery combination definitively make GBA SP the greatest improvement.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Llama Riot said:
I hadn't even thought about the battery, which is a huge oversight. I barely played GB/GBC while they were still in their primes b/c I had a Game Gear and the light meant the world to me, It wasn't until I could play them on SP/PC that I started to delve into them. The light/battery combination definitively make GBA SP the greatest improvement.

I agree.
It's funny like we were running out of battery and didn't have any spare ( that would happen even with crappy 3rd party generic rechargeable batteries ) and couldn't play anymore !
After the advent of the SP, all you had to do is find a plug and you can even play while recharging the unit !
And don't over look the folding design, because of it my SP2 still looks like brand new today ! ( I wish I could say the same for my DSL touch screen ! )

deka01

Trophies
XP
Country
how the hell can anyone vote for the micro its just smaller nothing special at all cant even run gb or gbc games total crap

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gameboy Color!. It added color! THat's the biggest improvement hands down.
All the DS lite did was lighten the size and add a backlight.

GB Color

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...