Nintendo files lawsuit against RCM Loader seller, claims piracy is a worsening international problem

FCt3dNr.png

Nintendo isn't done trying to take legal action against those trying to let users hack their Nintendo Switch consoles. They've filed yet another lawsuit recently against defendant Le Hoang Minh, who has been accused of selling devices that allow for the "circumvention of a technological protection measure that controls access to a copyrighted work and trafficking in devices intended to circumvent technological protection measures". Minh has, according to the legal documents, previously sold "jailbreak device" RCM Loader through Amazon, to which Nintendo issued a DMCA notice. The seller then filed a counter claim against Nintendo, and continued selling the device. Now, Nintendo is looking to sue for damages--a whopping maximum of $2,500 per violation--and to prevent Minh from being able to sell such products ever again.

Nintendo's lawyers claim that piracy has become a "serious, worsening international problem", to which the company has focused on taking action against, as seen in the numerous lawsuits and legal battles we've seen crop up in the past year. In May, Nintendo went after Tom Dilts Jr., owner of Uberchips, who was a reseller of SX OS and other Team Xecuter products. Team Xecuter themselves also ran into legal issues, with the FBI arresting two of their members last month.

:arrow: Source

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually i dont really care about Nintendo. I dont buy anything from em and i also dont buy other consoles aswell.

I think that dumping or create images from games is actually good. Many games would have been lost, without thouse ppl that did preserve them.

I dont see any real problem with old games. Money has been made with them, why not allow ppl to use them after 10,15 or 20 years ? Company can still bring out Hardware with old games on and make money.

For new games its different, i can see the problem there.
However i would not say piracy harms the company that bad. There are different types of people.
Some people would not buy a game anyway, but they buy hardware to play the pirated games.
Some people would just use the downloaded games to test the games and most likely would buy it later.
Some ppl would just buy games, because they dont know about other options, are collectors or whatever reason.

As for me on PC you get a lot free games legally. Epic has good games every week, Steam and GOG has often free games, Humble Bundle has often fee stuff even publishers give away games.
Basicly i dont need to buy a game on PC or just wait untill its cheap. I get so many games free that i cant even play them all.

Then there is game streaming now, Geforce now, Stadia and some others, so you can play games for little money and on small priced hardware.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
However i would not say piracy harms the company that bad. There are different types of people.
Some people would not buy a game anyway, but they buy hardware to play the pirated games.
Some people would just use the downloaded games to test the games and most likely would buy it later.
Some ppl would just buy games, because they dont know about other options, are collectors or whatever reason.

What about the people who move from buying games to not buying games? Those people do exist.

I think the games market is large enough that you don't get the same situation as the 80's/90's where everyone might have a game, but they only sold 50 copies. However the market is large enough that it costs millions of pounds to produce a game these days.

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah nintendo, you keep telling yourself that
nowadays most people are brand's pets so i'm sure some poor sap is going to fall for it.

i would pirate even the joycon if i could, then at least i would be able to actually play the games on my switch and have fun instead of having to wrestle the characters on where to go as they repeatedly kill themselves

Reactions: CTR640

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually i dont really care about Nintendo. I dont buy anything from em and i also dont buy other consoles aswell.

I think that dumping or create images from games is actually good. Many games would have been lost, without thouse ppl that did preserve them.

I dont see any real problem with old games. Money has been made with them, why not allow ppl to use them after 10,15 or 20 years ? Company can still bring out Hardware with old games on and make money.

For new games its different, i can see the problem there.

As for me on PC you get a lot free games legally. Epic has good games every week, Steam and GOG has often free games, Humble Bundle has often fee stuff even publishers give away games.
Basicly i dont need to buy a game on PC or just wait untill its cheap. I get so many games free that i cant even play them all.

Then there is game streaming now, Geforce now, Stadia and some others, so you can play games for little money and on small priced hardware.

you just dont care about consoles because you have a pc that's strong enough to emulate most of them
for fools who avoid roms and instead give them 10 dollars for 30 year old shovelware its not so simple

developers, publishers, game ppl want any money that there is to be had with anything they own
it's said that one of the reasons the nintendo's online service nes and snes game selection is so lacking is because no one wants to let their games be there for free ( so starting next fiscal year they will sell retro games individually again )

so for the things you said,
-just buying the hardware is not enough, 3rd parties dont get money that way
-thats why they make demos, even if the demo usually fails terribly to represent the game, but they dont want you to try it any other way
-as long as people buy games, they dont care about the reason, thats why they allow scalpers to exist ( and may or may not partake in such activities )

geforce now and stadia are terrible, you never own the game you bought and its going to poof in 2 or 3 years ( granted that for a while now physical games and download have had a clause saying you own nothing, but still, at least you still have them and can play whenever )
these services might be of decent quality in germany, but in most of the world they are plain terrible, an unplayable mess.

you seem like a nice person, but your comment came off kinda like an ad
stay safe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021