Nintendo DSi multiplayer

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Elechadram, Sep 5, 2009.

Sep 5, 2009

Nintendo DSi multiplayer by Elechadram at 8:55 PM (3,143 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Elechadram
    OP

Member Elechadram GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well, I've got a question. A very big question.

I am planning to buy a Nintendo DSi and getting an Acekard 2i with it (defenitely). And, I'm gonna put roms on it. But, that's where my question comes in. When I play like Mario Kart DS as a rom, on an Acekard 2i, can I play online then?

When having an Acekard 2i, a Nintendo DSi and Mario Kart DS, and you want to play a multiplayer match with a friend, can you do that? Or can't you?

And I also got a second question with it, do you need an internet connection when playing a local multiplayer match? With a friend who is setting next to you? Or does that go trough the Wi-Fi thing?

Thanks in advance!

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yes you can. All flashcarts are safe to use online, and all DS games are compatible with a DSi. There will be no change from playing Mario Kart DS on your DS to playing it on your DSi, albeit the button layouts (and screen size?). It's completely safe and completely fine.

As per local multiplayer, I don't think you need Wi-Fi. I think the DS/i just sends out a signal and any other DS/i can pick it up. Receiving that signal gives them a temporary demo of the game to play. I don't think any Wi-Fi is needed.

3. Elechadram
    OP

Netherlands
    So, if you just want to play a 1 vs. 1 Bomberman match with a friend, you don't need Internet or go online or some kind of Wi-Fi connection? Is there some kind of 'thingy' built-in the Nintendo DSi for it?

4. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

You can't go online with DS games if you have encryption higher then WEP so keep that in mind

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Yes, there are 2 types of wireless. WiFi is used for internet (i.e. long-range/global playing), and WLAN is for local multiplayer (someone in the same room). The DS might use its WLAN to connect to a WiFi router, but when playing local MP, you don't need any special equipment (apart from >1 DS and another game card if needed)

6. Elechadram
    OP

Netherlands
    So, you don't need any other equipment.. Don't you need the internet, Wireless Internet-USB (or something)?

Some infra-red thingy?

7. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Think of it like a cell-phone that can send out signals. All it does is send out a signal through what I'm guessing is something antenna-like. And yes, the Acekard 2i can let you use Singlecard Multiplayer(you as the host). And no, Wireless Multiplayer merely requires multiple DS or DSi's. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. Burnedmagix

Member Burnedmagix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The wifi still works like the regular DS.
    You need an access point. Connect to it, play online with no problems.

9. Elechadram
    OP

Netherlands
    Okay. But, what stuff do I need to play Wi-Fi?

A PC?
    A USB-Connector?
    A 'Hotspot'?

Can someone explain it to me?

And, do I need wireless-internet on my PC? I don't have it..

10. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    For wifi you generally need a PC for anything internet at home. A USB connecter, no. We keep saying it, and it's been said multiple times. Wifi connects wirelessly. Just set up the wifi in the DSi, it's not rocket science.

11. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    You just need a Wireless-Router.
    Then set it up with the DS.
    "DS only supports WEP."

12. nadoon

Banned nadoon Banned

United Arab Emirates
    You don't need any of that stuff. You only need the:
    Rom itself.
    A wireless router.

Connect your DSi to it. Configure them together. And you can play Mario Kart DS online with friends, rivals, anyone worldwide, anyone in the country, basically anyone you want. Need help? Contact me. I can answer all your questions. [​IMG] Good luck with it.

13. Elechadram
    OP

Netherlands
    Damn, then I can't go Wi-Fi..