Nintendo DS (original) not keeping settings

itsnep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My original DS system has me enter the settings every time I start it up - After the initial restart it has me do it appears to be fine, but every boot after that it forgets. It still seems to hold a decent charge (though I use it in very small segments, mostly to transfer pokemon from gens 3 to 4). Any idea what the issue might be and if it's worth fixing? Or would I be better off just buying another system? On the topic of fixing the system, the top screen has become a discolored orange. I've got experience putting a new shell on a GBA SP and wondering if replacing the screen is close to the same "difficulty" level.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SP shells are probably harder than original top screens or DS shells from where I sit. I don't know that I would bother that much -- I was getting DS and DS lites for next to nothing a few years ago and still see them fairly cheap.

Settings not being kept is usually a battery thing but if it powers and lasts long enough in that state then there is something else going on -- powered devices take a lot more out of the battery than a bit of light sipping that the clock will do. Corrupt firmware is a possibility (you can try running unflashme which should restore the original firmware) but rare.
I am not sure what internal failure might cause such a thing offhand. It is possible that whatever pathway normally feeds the clock/settings is broken but powered on keeps it but it would be going by what we see with similar components on the SP rather than anything I have seen in the wild. Check fuses and connectors in the battery compartment if you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo