Nintendo closing Rom hacking and speedrunning channels.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by PabloMK7, Sep 10, 2015.

1. PabloMK7
    OP

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Nintendo is shutting down rom hacking or TASing youtube channels. Be aware!
    I reccomend you to delete all the videos related to that content in your channel, if you don't want to get banned from Youtube.

Here is the notification I got, when my channel Pablohack&glitch about MK7 hacking got closed.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    By making a derivative work using Nintendo's IP, and then displaying Nintendo's IP on your YouTube channel, you have violated Nintendo's exclusive rights.

Here is a thread talking about that on destructoid.com:
    http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo...edrunning-and-rom-hacking-videos-310152.phtml

-PabloHack&Glitch: Banned MK7 custom track maker from youtube.

Last edited by PabloMK7, Sep 10, 2015
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What the actual f*ck

Edit: I really hope these guys aren't part of the Nintendo/YouTube Partnership Program, otherwise Nintendo is directly defeating the purpose of their own program

3. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Goodness.

You'd think Nintendo would get with the times by now and realize the entertainment and advertising value they can receive from these videos. The ROM hacking stuff is one thing, but SPEEDRUNNING?! After they had Trihex AND Cosmowright in the Nintendo World Championhips, WHICH THEY STREAMED, and you're going to start banning SPEEDRUN videos?!

I can't deal...

4. SoyAlexPop

SoyAlexPop GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    Mexico
    It's stupid if they close speed run channels, I mean they have a speed run competition in the Nintendo Championship, didn't they?

5. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    For fucks sake Nintendo, you're only pissing people off by doing this.

6. Gingerbread Crumb

Gingerbread Crumb Member

Aug 28, 2015
    United States
    Before anybody jumps the gun think about it from the company's point of view. Its obvious why they removed romhacking but speedruns ill explain. The reason theyre removing speedruns is because they are using TAS (tool assisted speedrun) which can only be done using an emulator. Those are the speedruns you will see go into oblivion because of the anti-piracy thing the others they just probably want them to sign up to get permission to use their IPs. Thats all thats happening here. I think nintendo made a bad move because if they really wanted to enforce their policy they should have done it from the beginning not now because itll just cause chaos.

Margen67 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  7. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Well what about legitimate non-TAS runs, like Cosmo's runs?

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Good bye Nintendo, Sega will see you in history.

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's not true, you can legally patch roms from all disk-based consoles (and use a flashcart for all consoles that are cartridge based, but that technically justifies Nintendo)

10. Gingerbread Crumb

Gingerbread Crumb Member

Aug 28, 2015
    United States
    Thats why I said the others they probably just want them to sign up to their program. In the end its all about money. If you rake in millions of views while using a nintendo IP and get paid for it thats where nintendo has a problem. You are using something owned by another person to make money.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In the end its hacking which is a problem according to nintendo.

Tomato Hentai and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    There had to have been a way around all of it for some of these people. Could it be their network? 75% of Game Grumps' content are Nintendo IP, I'm pretty sure, and they're with Polaris.

12. Gingerbread Crumb

Gingerbread Crumb Member

Aug 28, 2015
    United States
    I wouldnt know anything about that but its probably some behind the scenes thing.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  13. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Hmmz, i wonder if they also start sending mails to Twitch users who use a capture card to display there playing on 3DS.
    So No more Nintendo games on Twitch and YouTube (Wait till Pokemon GO is out, nobody can record anything anymore.)

Pitty, cause some userbased video's make me decide if i buy a game or not (Yes i hate official magazine review video's)!

HaloEffect17, clank, Margen67 and 2 others like this.
  14. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Gotta love it (sarcasm). How exactly does Nintendo think most of the videos on Youtube were even made in the first place? Likely an emulator on a PC with capture software. Not may people that I'm aware of go out and get actual capture cards for legacy systems. And look at this list of supported games:

https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/

Basically their saying anything not on this list is not allowed on Youtube (because for you to post any Nintendo IP going forward, you have to be part of this Creator's Program). They still list legacy systems games however. Totally asinine.

15. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    So all the poketubers are fucked, nice to know :(...

16. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Sadly, I think this will come down negatively on Youtube as well. Hopefully Twitch doesn't give in to this kind of thing from Nintendo. According to the email they sent it states:

Nintendo has the exclusive right to perform the games publicly.

I don't see how this is legal, since the public space is just that - Public, it's shared by everybody, and not one single person has control over it. That's like turning off someones boombox on the street and stating "Only I have the exclusive right to play my boombox here, yours has to be turned off." Sure the law enforcement could say "No Boomboxes", but legally in a public space (in America at least), I can play my boombox all I want and you can speak to my lawyer if you try to stop me.

17. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Considering Nintendo is Nintendo I don't think that will matter to them, they want to stop all emulators and roms (but sky3ds isn't blocked yet, fucking logic) so I don't know if they will stop for something like that.

18. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    I know right? hahaha

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot with a shotgun? What else is new? :rofl2:

20. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Well, remind me to never use NCP.