ROM Hack Nintendo closing Rom hacking and speedrunning channels.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nintendo is shutting down rom hacking or TASing youtube channels. Be aware!
I reccomend you to delete all the videos related to that content in your channel, if you don't want to get banned from Youtube.

Here is the notification I got, when my channel Pablohack&glitch about MK7 hacking got closed.
bbOcpOl.png

EDIT:
By making a derivative work using Nintendo's IP, and then displaying Nintendo's IP on your YouTube channel, you have violated Nintendo's exclusive rights.

Here is a thread talking about that on destructoid.com:
http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo...edrunning-and-rom-hacking-videos-310152.phtml

-PabloHack&Glitch: Banned MK7 custom track maker from youtube.

Last edited by PabloMK7,

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goodness.

You'd think Nintendo would get with the times by now and realize the entertainment and advertising value they can receive from these videos. The ROM hacking stuff is one thing, but SPEEDRUNNING?! After they had Trihex AND Cosmowright in the Nintendo World Championhips, WHICH THEY STREAMED, and you're going to start banning SPEEDRUN videos?!

I can't deal...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before anybody jumps the gun think about it from the company's point of view. Its obvious why they removed romhacking but speedruns ill explain. The reason theyre removing speedruns is because they are using TAS (tool assisted speedrun) which can only be done using an emulator. Those are the speedruns you will see go into oblivion because of the anti-piracy thing the others they just probably want them to sign up to get permission to use their IPs. Thats all thats happening here. I think nintendo made a bad move because if they really wanted to enforce their policy they should have done it from the beginning not now because itll just cause chaos.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before anybody jumps the gun think about it from the company's point of view. Its obvious why they removed romhacking but speedruns ill explain. The reason theyre removing speedruns is because they are using TAS (tool assisted speedrun) which can only be done using an emulator. Those are the speedruns you will see go into oblivion because of the anti-piracy thing the others they just probably want them to sign up to get permission to use their IPs. Thats all thats happening here. I think nintendo made a bad move because if they really wanted to enforce their policy they should have done it from the beginning not now because itll just cause chaos.
That's not true, you can legally patch roms from all disk-based consoles (and use a flashcart for all consoles that are cartridge based, but that technically justifies Nintendo)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well what about legitimate non-TAS runs, like Cosmo's runs?
Thats why I said the others they probably just want them to sign up to their program. In the end its all about money. If you rake in millions of views while using a nintendo IP and get paid for it thats where nintendo has a problem. You are using something owned by another person to make money.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's not true, you can legally patch roms from all disk-based consoles (and use a flashcart for all consoles that are cartridge based, but that technically justifies Nintendo)
In the end its hacking which is a problem according to nintendo.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats why I said the others they probably just want them to sign up to their program. In the end its all about money. If you rake in millions of views while using a nintendo IP and get paid for it thats where nintendo has a problem. You are using something owned by another person to make money.

There had to have been a way around all of it for some of these people. Could it be their network? 75% of Game Grumps' content are Nintendo IP, I'm pretty sure, and they're with Polaris.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmmz, i wonder if they also start sending mails to Twitch users who use a capture card to display there playing on 3DS.
So No more Nintendo games on Twitch and YouTube (Wait till Pokemon GO is out, nobody can record anything anymore.)

Pitty, cause some userbased video's make me decide if i buy a game or not (Yes i hate official magazine review video's)!

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love it (sarcasm). How exactly does Nintendo think most of the videos on Youtube were even made in the first place? Likely an emulator on a PC with capture software. Not may people that I'm aware of go out and get actual capture cards for legacy systems. And look at this list of supported games:

https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/

Basically their saying anything not on this list is not allowed on Youtube (because for you to post any Nintendo IP going forward, you have to be part of this Creator's Program). They still list legacy systems games however. Totally asinine.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love it (sarcasm). How exactly does Nintendo think most of the videos on Youtube were even made in the first place? Likely an emulator on a PC with capture software. Not may people that I'm aware of go out and get actual capture cards for legacy systems. And look at this list of supported games:

https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/

Basically their saying anything not on this list is not allowed on Youtube (because for you to post any Nintendo IP going forward, you have to be part of this Creator's Program). They still list legacy systems games however. Totally asinine.
So all the poketubers are fucked, nice to know :(...

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all the poketubers are fucked, nice to know :(...

Sadly, I think this will come down negatively on Youtube as well. Hopefully Twitch doesn't give in to this kind of thing from Nintendo. According to the email they sent it states:

Nintendo has the exclusive right to perform the games publicly.

I don't see how this is legal, since the public space is just that - Public, it's shared by everybody, and not one single person has control over it. That's like turning off someones boombox on the street and stating "Only I have the exclusive right to play my boombox here, yours has to be turned off." Sure the law enforcement could say "No Boomboxes", but legally in a public space (in America at least), I can play my boombox all I want and you can speak to my lawyer if you try to stop me.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, I think this will come down negatively on Youtube as well. Hopefully Twitch doesn't give in to this kind of thing from Nintendo. According to the email they sent it states:

Nintendo has the exclusive right to perform the games publicly.

I don't see how this is legal, since the public space is just that - Public, it's shared by everybody, and not one single person has control over it. That's like turning off someones boombox on the street and stating "Only I have the exclusive right to play my boombox here, yours has to be turned off." Sure the law enforcement could say "No Boomboxes", but legally in a public space (in America at least), I can play my boombox all I want and you can speak to my lawyer if you try to stop me.
Considering Nintendo is Nintendo I don't think that will matter to them, they want to stop all emulators and roms (but sky3ds isn't blocked yet, fucking logic) so I don't know if they will stop for something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1