Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Nintendo Blackmailer Caught
Accused Nintendo of Negligence
4455017147_b7a06d4b78.jpg

A man accused of illegally obtaining user data was arrested in the southern province of Malaga. The man attempted to “blackmail” Nintendo by threatening to release the database of user information to the Internet. The personal information of more than 4,000 users was stolen and authorities are unsure where the theft began. Nintendo has yet to comment on the case as it is still an active and ongoing investigation.

icon11.gif
 Source

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The version I heard was, the "hacker" added admin in front of the url and he got admin access and did a database dump, then he called Nintendo to fix up their security, Nintendo didn't give a shit and did nothing and the guy wanted to sue Nintendo regarding something about privacy whatever and after leaking parts of the database to get Nintendo's attention, he got sued.

El_Harto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"by threatening to release the database of user information to the Internet."

This is false, he sent an email to nintendo notifying the fail on their website and then 'blackmailed' them by asking for something both of them could agreen in order for him to not make public their mistake and bring them to the law.

Sorry for my bad english.

radorn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GBAtemp, this news are incorrect, and it's just Nintendo's poisonous PR shit.
I'm amazed they are being such bastards with this.
This is what happened:
Nintendo opened a site www.pruebayveras.com to manage appointments for the 3DS events in Spain.
You go there and sign up for going to one of the events.
The poor guy found a security hole that the company that made the site had left that allowed any potential attacker that did the unbelievably complex procedure Django0 described to access all the users' data.
His first action was contacting Nintendo to tell them to fix it, telling them that if they didn't he'd file a claim to the official body of personal data protection of Spain, the Agencia Española de Proteccion de Datos https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/index-ides-idphp.php to take care of the issue.

Instead of thanking him, they decided that the best defense is a good attack, so they took the lead and (dis)informed police and media about an attack on their servers and the attacker blackmailing them which is complete bullshit.

Now the guy is arrested and Nintendo is playing victim.

I play nintendo's crap, but they are a bunch of bastards when it comes to legal crap and PR.

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
radorn said:
This is what happened:
Nintendo opened a site www.pruebayveras.com to manage appointments for the 3DS events in Spain.
The poor guy found a security hole that the company that made the site had left that allowed any potential attacker that did the unbelievably complex procedure Django0 described to access all the users' data.
His first action was contacting Nintendo to tell them to fix it, telling them that if they didn't he'd file a claim to the official body of personal data protection of Spain, the Agencia Española de Proteccion de Datos https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/index-ides-idphp.php to take care of the issue.

Instead of thanking him, they decided that the best defense is a good attack, so they took the lead and (dis)informed police and media about an attack on their servers and the attacker blackmailing them which is complete bullshit.

I play nintendo's crap, but they are a bunch of bastards when it comes to legal crap and PR.
are you saying that they arrested him just because Nintendo "asked"? That's a problem with your justice. What proof they had to arrest him?

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fact that he had gotten in was proof enough.
but nintendo really did fuck up
he was trying to fix the issue to prevent the security hole being exploited by others

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cuelhu said:
radorn said:
This is what happened:

are you saying that they arrested him just because Nintendo "asked"? That's a problem with your justice. What proof they had to arrest him?

Money can do wonders when you have a lot of it, my friend.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cuelhu said:
radorn said:
This is what happened:

Problem with justice? lol You seem to live on planet fantasy land where everything is fair and sugarcoated with little heart shaped cupcake sprinkles. Get real, that is precisely why they arrested him.

KamiKazeKenji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
radorn said:
This is what happened:

Wow, if all that's true, then Nintendo's seriously ****'d up. The guy tries to helps Nintendo and he ends up getting kicked in the face by them. Truly sad.

-2 respect for Nintendo.

radorn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
big companies have more resources than particulars.
money buys you an army of 24/7 lawyers to help them decide what to do at any moment to get their cause through. That happens everywhere, not just spain.

nintendo went to police and media saying "the attacker" got in thanks to "hacking techniques" and stole data in order to blackmail them... while the guy was waiting for nintendo to close their gigantic security hole (change "www" to "admin" in the URL and get all the users data without even entering a single password) and/or reply to his emails.
the guy was just naive thinking that his help would be appreciated

for those asking for proof and shit. I can't be arsed. no proof has been provided to sustain the news article's (nintendo's) version of the events either.
if you are so interested, learn spanish and start here http://www.elotrolado.net/noticia_la-verda...tualizado_18733

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu