Nintendo Being Sued For Glasses-less 3D Screen Technology

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The 3DS's must unique feature -- its glasses-free 3D display -- has gotten Nintendo sued. Tomita Technologies alleges in a lawsuit filed in a New York district court last month that Nintendo is violating a patent, number 7,417,664, which was filed for in 2003 by Seijiro Tomita and issued in August 2008.
    Tomita is described in the complaint as an "accomplished scientist and engineer" who worked at Sony for nearly 30 years before retiring in 2002. He began filing for patents after leaving the company, dozens of which now exist that list him as the inventor or co-inventor.

"Mr. Tomita has done substantial research and development in the area of stereoscopic display technology. Among other things, Mr. Tomita invented and developed technology relating to displaying stereoscopic (3-D) images on-screen for viewing with the naked eye, i.e., without utilizing glasses or other devices," the lawsuit states. "The '664 patent asserted in this action covers 3-D technology invented and developed by Mr. Tomita." It also says the Japan Patent Office has granted him a similar patent to the one in question.

No specifics were cited for how the 3DS violates the patent.[/p]

Source

2. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    What kinda nonsense is this? Surely he can't win?

I hate it when people wait forever to say anything. This just seem like Nintendo is going to get more money.

There is noway that patent cover the 3DS.

3. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    If he does win... is nintendo fucked? [​IMG]

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    LOLOL!
    I should sue Nintendo, because I thought of the glass-free 3D back in '96! [​IMG]

Like wtf o.o. Whats up with all that bullshit these days -.-

5. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Wait what? How is Nintendo fucked if that guy doesn't win? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

6. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    That guy.. deserves to DIE [​IMG]

7. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    He probably misread or didnt quite get it lol.

8. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
  9. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    lol, i don't think this'll go anywhere.

10. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Guys guys guys, read the paragraph again and lookout for this line "Tomita is described in the complaint as an "accomplished scientist and engineer" who worked at Sony for nearly 30 years before retiring in 2002"

He worked at Sony, pfft. Makes sense over his allegations. Sony are like Apple, anything that exists in the market is invented by them first.

Like that "new" tech Apple is bringing on their next iPhone (which was a rumor, not sure if true though) of a curved screen, it's already present on Nexus S, they'll sue Samsung for it later. Wait for it.

11. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Its not Nintendo he should be suing. THey didn't make the glasses free screen. It was...Samsung? I think. I can't remember. THe point is that Nintendo have only bought the screen, they themselves haven't actually violated the patent.

12. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    To be fair, if he patented the specific technology used, and that technology was released without compliance after the approval of the patent, then the man has every right to sue. It is damn hard to just sue over an idea, but when there are legal patents protecting that specific idea in question, then the man can sue for all he can get if the item is used illegally.

The "herp derp he's from Sony and has no basis for what he's saying herp derp" doesn't work when he actually has a basis for his case. That Wii remote one was nearly successful too, so don't think this will just be an instant turn over either.

@Jamstruth: Then he can sue both Sharp and Nintendo for illegally marketing an item that falls under his patent if that ends up being the case.

Edit: Had to change the name of the company. :3

13. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Not Samsung, as far as I can recall, it is Sharp's tech the 3DS uses.

14. Frogman

Member Frogman This could be you!

Australia
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

15. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Sharp [​IMG] Indeed Nintendo just used the technology that sharp created.

EDIT: Beaten to it -.-

16. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    The American patent/copyright system is a complete mess. If it wasn't for people using and bettering previously invented stuff, regardless of WHO invented if first, then almost non of the technology we have to would even exist. The 'legal system' will ruin all technological advances in the near future.
    If you can not build on other peoples ideas, then there is no point having ideas in the first place.

17. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    well if he rellay has the rights on it and wins against nintendo they pay him some bucks (well if he goes to court in america ninty is done for) and everything is good.
    nintendo wouldn't have problems with paying some houndred thousand as long as there is no insane american court again that says give him the whole company -.-V

Spinal
    you are right BUT if you were to be an inventor and you have an idea that you could even prove working and you were just lacking the funds and wouldn't find an investor it would suck if a big company would just come and steal your idea where you actually worked for and even put in money.
    I think its a good thing that you can get a patent on stuff even thaught its just to much already they should sort all the junk out, who the hell needs more than 7 million patents ? most of it is bound to be shit ... they should go down to a maximum of 1 million so that its easyer to see what is already there and what now, noone can be forced to go trough all the patents before making something hopefully new

18. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    pretty sure 1up just put that unneeded fact in to attract fanboys
    judging from the various posts in this thread and on 1up, I guess they were successful

19. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    Does this dude have the right? Yeah..
    But he's still an asshole IMO. Purposely going around bothering big companies for no reason.

20. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I highly doubt the man would just sue for around $100k considering the world wide profit off the 3DS so far. I would guess several million, and possibly worse depending on how far the man is willing to go in his case. I don't care to look at the name. :3

Edit: No reason? He has all the reason he needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.