Nintendo asks Korea to probe websites

scrawl

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo on Monday in a rare move demanded South Korean prosecutors investigate domestic websites that have uploaded illegal copies of the company’s games.

Nintendo’s Korean unit filed the complaint on Monday with the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, accusing some internet users of uploading pirated copies of its DS game titles, and web operators of tolerating such copies.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/abc71fac-650f-11...0b5df10621.html

m|kk|

Trophies
Website
www.mikki.com
XP
Country
United States
Another link -

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/09/18/ap4129098.html

happy.gif

P

pasc

What makes you lauging about this ? This isn't good for our site... (yeah, we don't upload them, but we list them)

anotheruser22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What makes you lauging about this ? This isn't good for our site... (yeah, we don't upload them, but we list them)

yep its not against the law to talk about roms or "list" them. So nothing would happen to gbatemp.

No but mentioning you downloaded a rom regardless of where the download links are located is piracy.

Who's to say this site isn't monitored. It's especially obvious when someone says "This isn't a bad game, I might even buy the real one"......

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

yep its not against the law to talk about roms or "list" them. So nothing would happen to gbatemp.

No but mentioning you downloaded a rom regardless of where the download links are located is piracy.

Who's to say this site isn't monitored. It's especially obvious when someone says "This isn't a bad game, I might even buy the real one"......

the thing is that korean people don't buy it. american people buy enough so nintendo still makes profit (i guess, but I think they sell morre than lose money to pirates); korea isn't america. and tehy won't buy shit so they lose lots of money. that's why japan stopped releasing hgames.

but lots of laws are being laid now, so...it's obvious that nintendo would've taken this step.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"all 5 of them" ... and how many hours between them?
Sure South Korean copyright/censorship law is not quite as draconian as some of China and North Korea ( http://www.rfa.org/english/korean/2007/07/17/korea_wave/ ) but some laws (as well as trade pressure: in many regards it is almost an overnight thing as far as the economy is concerned) there can make it a bit easier than the US, Europe and the other traditional markets (yeah you read correctly).

"mentioning you downloaded a rom regardless of where the download links are located is piracy"
It may get a bit more complex if the EULA is involved but I would argue against that with regard to fair use.
Also if that is also the case, I murdered 400 people last night...... wonder how long murderer groupies take to appear.

""This isn't a bad game, I might even buy the real one""
This last DVD rental was not bad either, I might go and buy myself a copy.

"Who's to say this site isn't monitored"
Given this perhaps is the largest gba/ds (although I suppose that is now Nintendo) "piracy" dedicated site (I reckon DCemu and maxconsole are bigger but they also do the other consoles to a far greater extent than is done here) I should find it very hard to believe it is not monitored to some degree.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, Nintendo Korea is taking legal actions against uploading / sharing of ALL REGION ROMS.
That means some poor Korean dude who uploaded a French ROM can pay some enormous fine.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo on Monday in a rare move demanded South Korean prosecutors investigate domestic websites that have uploaded illegal copies of the company’s games.

Nintendo’s Korean unit filed the complaint on Monday with the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office, accusing some internet users of uploading pirated copies of its DS game titles, and web operators of tolerating such copies.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/abc71fac-650f-11...0b5df10621.html
a rare move indeed, yet delightfuly cumbersome
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://thefeedfeed.com/uncomplicatedchef/grapes-and-cheese-pizza This makes me belive in...