Nintendo Acknowledges Skyward Sword Bug

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Dec 15, 2011.

1. prowler
    OP

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    [​IMG]

Nintendo has acknowledged the presence of a bug in Zelda Skyward Sword. The bug occurs after a specific sequence of events and makes it so that players can no longer advance in the game.

For specifics, consult Nintendo's homepage (the page is available only in Japanese). The page has directions for the path to take in order to avoid the bug.

If you've already encountered the bug, Nintendo will fix your save file. There are two options for this. For those with an internet connection, Nintendo will distribute a program. Details will be announced later. For those without an internet connection, Nintendo wants you to them send your SD card or Wii system.

http://andriasang.co...mzd5/zelda_bug/

2. BoxmanWTF

BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    Behind you
    ._. send your wii system...
    looks like everyone using a USB loader or mod chip is screwed :lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    first bad pointer, now a major bug.
    at least they offer to restore your save file.
    thanks nintendo. :sleep:

4. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    similar problem happened in the past with metroid prime or similar. i think hackers find a fix faster than nintendo.

1 person likes this.
  5. titen96

titen96 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2009
    United States
    Somewhere.
    Not really sending the wii is an option if you don't want to buy a cheap 256 mb sd card and copy the save file onto there

6. BoxmanWTF

BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    Behind you
    I can see them saying, "The data is Corrupted, please send your system instead"

7. JinTrigger

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    It said "or"....I guess if you can't get an SD card thats the only way for them to get to the save.

8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    don't you think that most users with an USBloader have Internet or a computer?

Of course, there might be users with a Wii and no computer, no internet, but then ... they wouldn't know that Nintendo offer to correct the bug in their save file.

They could even have friend with a computer to run the fix for them.

I think it's a good move from Nintendo to make a save fixer program.

1 person likes this.
  9. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Isn't it possible for them to just give you some sort of Patch that's available? Unless by Program they mean a Patch that will apply to your save file.

It's nearly 2am and I'm confused...

10. prowler
    OP

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Wii can't do patches.
    I'm guessing the program will require you to transfer your save to the SD card and it gets patched through your computer but honestly I have no idea.

11. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    Didn't Black Ops on the Wii give patches out? Unless that was encoded into the Game itself.

12. Demonbart

Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Lazytown, yarr
    Happened with Twilight Princess if you saved in the room with the big cannon IIRC, and I think there was a bug in Metroid Other M that gave a similar situation

13. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    God this would be the worst kind of anti piracy ever. The end of the Wiis life span, bugs in a save file, send in your modded wii...

14. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    This glitch is actually a blessing in disguise. Think about it, in order to send out a program to patch the save file that software will also have to be able to decrypt save files and then re-encrypt them. In other words, a few patches (disable the patching and let you choose whether to decrypt or encrypt) and it will be possible to use their save fixer as a generic save decrypter/encrypter without having to bother with getting the keys yourself. That is assuming it is a PC program instead of something that runs on the Wii and is downloaded from the Wii shop, that is.

15. prowler
    OP

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    inb4 the program uploads the save to a server to patch.

1 person likes this.
  16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    And this is why a good online infrastructure for your console is a necessity today.

17. qwertymodo

qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    AHBPROT has nothing to do with save file encryption, period. There is no reason for Nintendo to ever use AHBPROT anyway. The only reason it was ever created in the first place was for low level hardware testing (possibly due to laziness or else because they wanted to remove IOS from the tests to avoid IOS problems messing with the tests),