What do you think about this "hack"?

• Total voters

MaxTempps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hacking scene is now a bunch of people sitting lazily on their asses for someone to use their sweat and time to provide them with content. Why can't everyone work together, contribute, and to figure out a solution?

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this website isn't "the hacking scene" it's mostly kids in their teens with a few older people peppered in. This whole site is passed around all the other forums (like gamefaqs) as a place where all the hacks (and then they assume roms) are. It's the reason why we have so many poorly written "Hack is done how do i games plz" posts.

As far as the actual hacking goes, it requires some specialized equipment to even get anything going on. If you have seen neimod's images, he is using an FPGA I identified earlier as a $500+ model. People with that kind of knowledge and cash are doing it in their spare time for fun. The homebrew developers are waiting for a release of an SDK which would let them make the 3D games. As of right now, the most promising exploit the hackers had was patched and they are re evaluating what to do. Since it was patched there is a smaller and smaller POTENTIAL install base every day as people update or go to the eshop to buy games, download free eShop titles, watch a trailer, or buy DLC; making the hack useless for them. There are a few people here that are saying they will not update, disable wireless, etc. but they will find the grand standing will be for nothing when the next exploit is found (which could take years)

3DS-PC communication link by neimod, on Flickr

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
Neimod seems kind of like a loser anyway. He's the sort of guy that steals car parts and blueprints to build a super expensive convertible and locks it in his garage. Then, when people want him to make them one so they can drive around in it and he gets pissy at them arguing that if they want to drive a super expensive convertible they should buy one.

Go ahead, get mad at me for slamming your savior. (Not directed at anyone specific)
Seems about right.He just wants to show off,and not release anything.Fortunately, neither will he benefit from it,all that emulators and games and shit wont be accomplished without help; and we,the people are the one who gives the wares so HAH to you neimod We:0(+1) Neimod:1(-1)

Edit: Plus, we do have Yellow8 and other devs.

Since I don't have my 3DS for now,not updating will be easier.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems about right.He just wants to show off,and not release anything.
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

Fortunately, neither will he benefit from it,all that emulators and games and shit wont be accomplished without help;
You mean like all the critical information they're gathering and putting on the site?

and we,the people are the one who gives the wares so HAH to you neimod We:0(+1) Neimod:1(-1)
Really? What's the last thing you programmed then?

Edit: Plus, we do have Yellow8 and other devs.
Neimod and yellows8 both contribute to the same site and exchange ideas/info.

Christ, kids these days.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
You mean like all the critical information they're gathering and putting on the site?
The exploit.
Really? What's the last thing you programmed then?
We as in the people who created homebrew, not the devs.
Neimod and yellows8 both contribute to the same site and exchange ideas/info.
What I meant was if Neimod doesn't want to release the exploit,yellow8 can.I doubt that neimod and yellow8 are going to develop or port emulators and cool shit wii hackers did by themselves.Amirite?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They're using the kernel-mode exploit in order to map out the 3DS's internals so somebody can make libraries to code for it. Without the ability to program for the 3DS in existing languages like C/C++, there will be no homebrew scene since I'm pretty sure people don't want to make their standard homebrew in pure ARM assembly and need to write their own functions to access any of the hardware each time.

We as in the people who created homebrew, not the devs.
neimod is a homebrew dev.

Without their work, emulators and other things will not come.

Reactions: Thorhian and kehkou

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
oh dear no need to quarrel then.
Neimod is using his Ramhaxx (that got finished with hardware not software), and yellow use software methods (a specified exploit. -- If you want that exploit to analyse the inner side of your device, show him that you can be trusted and you are talented in reverse-engineering and ARM dis-assembly first -- before you ever ask him for that).
However hardware is hard to learn also hard to get fixed. so if you do think you can get haxx as they did, learn hardware-suggested.
also there are others who are trying to decap the chip (not yellow nor neimod). if they get that successfully decapped you may get one sem image to analyse if you did donate.
That's all. calm down and think about the fact. hacking is never an easy job as some may think.
even with the document job they are doing, some devs may get inspired to create emulators. (well for sure there must be some more progress to go from now)

D

Deleted User

OP
I kind of think they were paid by Nintendo or maybe threatened to tell them what the hack was, so they could have fallen for the old money trick. But, I'm just not a very trusting person, so don't go about listening to me...hahahahaha..............

Edit:

yellow8 is a fun guy, but way too serious

[00:11] <yellows8> "Well i meant like" 3ds stuff ofcourse.
[00:11] <randomdud> oh okay
[00:11] <randomdud> I hacekd my 3ds
[00:11] <randomdud> it was easy
[00:11] <randomdud> Just needed an axe
[00:11] <randomdud> easy and fun
[00:12] <randomdud> stress reliever too
[00:12] <randomdud> you should try it some time :P4

Edit 2:

I don't like neimod. Never have. He's a mean guy.

[00:13] <randomdud> neimod
[00:13] <randomdud> my sweetie
[00:13] <neimod> sup
[00:13] <randomdud> you unbaaannneeedd meee <33
[00:13] <randomdud> lmfaaaoooo
[00:16] <randomdud> ohohohohohoo
[00:16] <randomdud> giving me the cold shoulder eh
[00:16] <randomdud> fine
[00:16] <randomdud> gossip guy out
[00:16] <randomdud> xoxo

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I kind of think they were paid by Nintendo or maybe threatened to tell them what the hack was, so they could have fallen for the old money trick. But, I'm just not a very trusting person, so don't go about listening to me...hahahahaha..............

Edit:

yellow8 is a fun guy, but way too serious

If Nintendo paid them off, they would probably be required to take down 3dbrew.org as well. I highly doubt this is the case.

D

Deleted User

OP
If Nintendo paid them off, they would probably be required to take down 3dbrew.org as well. I highly doubt this is the case.
Nah, I doubt it. They don't have the right to bring down 3dbrew, but they can threaten to sue or launch an investigation which ends up in them being charged for millions like the ps3 guy, or give away the hack and allow it to be patched in exchange for money, and not being allowed to release it in case someone else manages to find another exploit. Of course, it might not be patched at all. Most likely they just want us to stop asking/annoying them or throw Nintendo off of their trail so that Nintendo doesn't try to patch it themself.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, I doubt it. They don't have the right to bring down 3dbrew, but they can threaten to sue or launch an investigation which ends up in them being charged for millions like the ps3 guy, or give away the hack and allow it to be patched in exchange for money, and not being allowed to release it in case someone else manages to find another exploit. Of course, it might not be patched at all. Most likely they just want us to stop asking/annoying them or throw Nintendo off of their trail so that Nintendo doesn't try to patch it themself.

Nintendo can threaten a lawsuit against them forbidding them to continue work on the 3DS as well as forfeiting all research to Nintendo, and removing it from public view. Would you really risk a lawsuit for a hobby? And the Geohot (the PS3 Guy) wasn't charged millions, he accepted a settlement on these exact terms (forfeit all research on the PS3 and a refrain from researching security flaws in the PS3).

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada

Nintendo can threaten a lawsuit against them forbidding them to continue work on the 3DS as well as forfeiting all research to Nintendo, and removing it from public view. Would you really risk a lawsuit for a hobby? And the Geohot (the PS3 Guy) wasn't charged millions, he accepted a settlement on these exact terms (forfeit all research on the PS3 and a refrain from researching security flaws in the PS3).

D

Deleted User

OP
Oh you know what I mean. Lol. Anyway, I'm out for the night. See ya!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?