Nibel, popular gaming news Twitter account, quits the platform

nibel.JPG

With over 444,000 followers on Twitter, Nibel (@Nibellion) has been one of the most popular accounts on the platform for their timely and diligent reports on (mostly) gaming news. If you're on Twitter, there's a good chance you've stumbled on that account or their tweets. However, the owner of the account announced today that they are stopping their activity on the social media and have already locked their account (but not deleting it so it's not grabbed for malicious purposes, reads the account's final tweet which you can see below).

nibel 2.png

Last month, Nibel launched a Patreon page for people to support their Twitter activity but that too is being taken down. In the latest Patreon post (behind a paywall), Nibel provides further details about their decision:

I’ve learned a lot in a short period of time. Unfortunately, I was not able to create an interesting and sustainable Patreon which is evident in the number of Patrons stagnating during the first weekend and the first (of many) pledges being deleted during the first week. I have miscalculated the value of my Twitter activity and realize that it is nothing worth supporting by itself for the vast majority of people. It is not me who is popular, but it is that work that is useful. It is not valuable by itself, but a comfortable timesaver, and I get that now. I was unable to create a reliable revenue stream, but l’m still happy I gave it a shot. And I want to thank everybody on here who gave me a shot as well. I’ll look into refunds for recent payments, have already deactivated the billing and will likely close this page this week.

Nibel also cited issues with Twitter as a platform, which were further fuelled by Elon Musk's takeover:

I don’t think that Twitter has yet experienced good leadership, and this trend will not change with Musk either. I do not trust the platform. I do not trust Musk and his seemingly infinite immaturity. I do not think Twitter will fall apart instantly but that it could die a slow death. Why waste more time?

:arrow: SOURCE

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations, I'm sorry that happened, or whatever...

Never heard of this guy until today, but I do wish them the best with their path.

That bit about the Patreon is both funny and sad, though. Apparently a popular enough Tweeter, but not so much that people pay to support them.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The decision to live off of Patreon revenue and donations is a daunting path, and as much as everyone would love to live doing what they love( journalism, playing games, content creation, etc... ), it just isn't easy to get a foot in the door especially just off of Twitter followers. Hope their choice results in finding a worthwhile career that actually pays the bills, because no one should have to live worrying.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that blows. But luckily there’s a couple of other folks that you can follow for the same type of news

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am wondering how many people will end up leaving twitter if Elon does follow through on his promises. I know my account is going to be locked down if he does unban some of the accounts that I had to deal with the past. At that rate, the site will be just another social media completely overrun by the worst kinds of people.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drama.

Let's see what Musk does. I don't trust someone who wants to make hybrid robots, anyway.
Post automatically merged:

I am wondering how many people will end up leaving twitter if Elon does follow through on his promises. I know my account is going to be locked down if he does unban some of the accounts that I had to deal with the past. At that rate, the site will be just another social media completely overrun by the worst kinds of people.
Really? Twitter is filled with creeps, pedos, racists, terrorist supporters, etc.

It already is with "the worst kinds of people."

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Drama.

Let's see what Musk does. I don't trust someone who wants to make hybrid robots, anyway.

Really? Twitter is filled with creeps, pedos, racists, terrorist supporters, etc.

I am aware of the current problems but it will only get worse if Musk follows through

Reactions: TheDerpyDolphin

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its weird to see how easy people can be influenced by media. Ive seen people like pro wrestler Mick Foley quit twitter because "democracy is falling apart" thanks to people being able to express themselves...

I think twitter is a terrible platform at the design level, everything is taken out of context and being popular is more important than actually making any sense. But that said, what has caused people who call themselves "liberal" to act like 1950s censors?

Nagarjuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m glad he took the mature and smart approach out. Anyone in the “video game news industry” is bound for a hard time this next decade, with our economy collapsing and people realizing now that an economy based on information is essentially valueless and not self-sustaining. It sucks to say, but your financial prospects are looking slim if you decide online journalism to be your job, especially if it’s on twitter where you’re just leeching your platform off a tech conglomerate that won’t be around in 20 years.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Drama.

How many of them are just bots and fake accounts spun up to create news stories? Its a complete dumpster fire.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That they were able to make a living from Twitter is a thing I didn't think was possible. And because it's the standard now regarding the platform, I blame the 14 year old girls on Twitter that put their stat points on Woke.

Unfortunately, there is no punishment I could express that wouldn't automatically put me on some kind of government watch list because it would be misinterpreted to high heaven. So that's all I'll say about that.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With that large following and news experience he should be able to find a decent job at a traditional gaming news outlet. Heard the pay isn't best for them though. At least he's got some good skills and contacts for other jobs.

People underestimate how hard it is to convert free followers into paid subscribers especially on a platform like Twitter which encourages you to hop around from account to account, don't get a deeper connection compared to YouTube or Twitch.

Also with everyone concerning about Twitter going to shit (not like it already is) I seriously doubt the platform is going to change all that much. They still need that advertiser money to survive so they can't go full crazy because then the advertisers will be angry and drop out. Elon Musk is just a media troll and we all keep falling for it and once he's out of the news cycle for Twitter people will stop caring.

Reactions: Megadriver94

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m sorry, was Donald Trump or Andrew Tate harassing you on Twitter? I think not. The primary goal of Elon owning Twitter is to not shutdown discourse or make everything one sided partisan just because you disagree with it. From his Twitter:

1667239374741.png

And
1667239440264.png

Bullying is certainly not something that won’t be cracked down upon, they still have standards that they have to adhere to to stay on the App Stores. That being said, kowtowing for one side of the political isle and fueling anger national division will no longer be on the agenda. I don’t think he’ll be reinstating JoeSchmoe2988. Nor will Joe Schmoe2989 not be banned for calling someone the N word, despite what bad actors may want you to believe. Not everything is personal kiddo.

TLDR: Y’all need to calm the fuck down

Last edited by MariArch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya