Newest update gave me an idea

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Samnitmar, Aug 12, 2009.

Aug 12, 2009
  1. Samnitmar
    OP

Newcomer Samnitmar Advanced Member

United States
    Hi, I just updated my Xbox 360 (Not hacked whatsoever), and saw that one of the new features they have is buying full games off the game store on Live and playing them from your hard drive. I was wondering if it would be possible to get one of these games from an external source, and then transfer them from your computer via an Xsata or Xport (or somthing) to your hard drive and play them from it. I know Xbox Live Arcade games don't work like this, but I thought I'd ask you guys just in case it was/is a possibility.

2. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good that you are watching stuff like this but no, it wont happen
    #1 I am 99% sure MS thought about this as they are aware of sites like this and other project geared to xbox 360.
    *They can google better than us for sure

#2 It most likely will be "it will authenticate when you are logged in to xbox live"... just like any tv show you purchase..if you cannot log into xbox live - you can watch it..probably will be same thing, if you cant log in, you cant play it
    *so you having this game on your HD you may see it, but when you click on it it will mention some reason as to why it cant play

#3 Probably the update added some new *behind the scenes* verification of "is this game legit or a copy" and would be an easier target for a ban.
    *Example:
    ---Samnitmar logs into xbox live and purchase Sonic The Hedge Hog (for example)
    ---3 days go buy and Samnitmar logs in to xbox live and has
    -----Sonic The Hedghog, Killer Instinct, HALO 4, Dead Space
    ---Xbox live only has a record of 1 purchase of Sonic
    ------where did the rest of these come from????? BAN-ola

3. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I updated and did not notice anything different with the XBOX..I thought it was supposed to come with MSN messenger, but I don't see it. I am still able to play my burnt games without any issue thank goodness

4. Samnitmar
    OP

Newcomer Samnitmar Advanced Member

United States
    Okay, I figured. But would this allow me to get the game and just play it offline? That way Live has no way to check it? And Halo 4? lawl

5. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    The dashboard was updated with messenger AGES ago (dash 2.0.5759.0 - 9th May 2007), it uses the email address that you use for your Xbox Live account.
    I turned it off, it was a pain in the arse.