Newest Handheld Emulators

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Krisanthemum, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Krisanthemum
    OP

Krisanthemum Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2014
    United States
    So, I'm aware of devices such as the GPD XD, Pyra, and JXD, but after all my research, I haven't found much else than that, and it feels like it's been a long time since the GPD and JXD have come out.

Does anyone know of any up and coming handheld emulation devices along those lines, or ones that were released recently? I'm looking for a good one to run everything up to PS1/N64, doesn't require on screen controls or an external controller, and can fit in a big pocket, so I'm shopping around.

2. Steve Antony Williams

Steve Antony Williams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    I use a JXD S7800B for PS1 (ePSXe) but the N64 emulation is not so good :(

3. Krisanthemum
    OP

Krisanthemum Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2014
    United States
    Does anyone else have any ideas on these? The JXD S7800B is apparently on top for now. I'm looking for something I can fit in my pocket and play PS1 games (Like Legends of Mana, Legaia, and Dragoon). PSP games would be a huge plus as well.

4. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Yeah, there was a time when the market was flooded with similar devices. After the novelty was gone, they stopped churning them out.

I had a JXD S7200B and the thing was crap. Good thing I resold it after 2 months. I've heard better things about the S7800B, but keep in mind that these el-cheapo Chinese devices have no Quality Control AT ALL, so it's really easy to get defective units.

I'd get the GPD XD myself, the S7200B was really uncomfortable to hold and I suppose the S7800B will be similar.

5. LinkBlaBla

LinkBlaBla Glitches Expert and Anti-Government (TFTP*)

Jun 7, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec
    iphone 6s run everything near perfection for ps1-psp-nds-ps1 even some gamecube have started you have just to find a gamepad for it , that the only one phone on market that i have seen running conker bad fur day no lag...even if it is not a handled i consider this phone as a good multi emulator system but only if you are jailbroken...

6. kaitlin

kaitlin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2014
    United States
    Tucson, Arizona
    i use a psp 3000 flashed with CFW it runs psp games and ps1 games natively

7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    I don't think any handheld can emulate n64 properly. The psp it the way to go.

8. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    GPD XD (with the exception of NVidia Shield Portable) is currently the device to have. Speedy quad core CPU and very good GPU. Be warned however that there are two major flaws in the firmware/hardware. Screen can be damaged if you switch off/on the device while it is on charge and also there is a flawed communication mechanism between charger and device. This can result in the GPD XD accepting more current from a Fast Charger hence destroying it. It happened to a few other people as well as for myself as well. (Using Galaxy S6 Fast charger)

Apart from that, if you are careful, the device is very nice with high quality components and display.

9. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    The Iphone 6S/SE/7 have very high single core performance hence suited very well for emulation. Since IOS 9 however, it seems that JIT (Dynamic recompiler) does not seem to work on emulators such as PPSSPP or Dolphin making them run very very slow. Fortunately recent PPSSPP released today seems to have fixed that.

Alternatively Snapdragon 820 based devices have comparable (although lower single core performance) than the above Iphone models.