Android Newer apps on older Android version

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I'm trying to install CCleaner on my v2.2.1 Android phone and I'm getting the message "there is an error parsing the package". I also have a language learning app that refuses to install too. I guess it is because they both require a more recent Android version. So my question is, how can I bypass this incompatibility and install them on my phone?

Processing power is obviously not an issue. These are mostly text driven applications and won't have any demanding graphics or realtime performance that could not be achieved on an older device. My phone is rooted. Any suggestions are welcome.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to install CCleaner on my v2.2.1 Android phone and I'm getting the message "there is an error parsing the package". I also have a language learning app that refuses to install too. I guess it is because they both require a more recent Android version. So my question is, how can I bypass this incompatibility and install them on my phone?

Processing power is obviously not an issue. These are mostly text driven applications and won't have any demanding graphics or realtime performance that could not be achieved on an older device. My phone is rooted. Any suggestions are welcome.
2 easy solutions.

1.- decrypt the APK, and modify the minimum API required.
2.- download and older version of the app.

Reactions: JFTS

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
2 easy solutions.

1.- decrypt the APK, and modify the minimum API required.
2.- download and older version of the app.

Thanks for the quick answer.

2. The older version of the app already exceeds my phone's Anroid version.
1. Could you point me to the process that this method would require?

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
It's Android version 2.2.1

I have the APKs because I download them manually on the PC.

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Yes, but I always thought it would be better to keep the OS in its time frame because it wouldn't strain the hardware as much as a newer version.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but I always thought it would be better to keep the OS in its time frame because it wouldn't strain the hardware as much as a newer version.
I would suggest to change to a Custom Rom, Froyo was targetd for already old devices, so it must be a pretty old device.

After decompiling the APK i get this:
sdkInfo:
minSdkVersion: '15'
targetSdkVersion: '19'

SDK 15 is Android 4.0.3, 4.0.4, so i recompiled it with a version 8, which is froyo. if that does not work, you are going to need to change to a custom rom.

Test Here and let me know what happened:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=14291827411972043376

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I would look at either getting a custom rom or a new phone, xda developers is a good place to look for custom roms.

Google play no longer supports 2.2 and its just a risk now security wise.

Changing the minimum api in theory will only work if it doesnt require something in the newer sdk.

Reactions: T3GZdev

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I would suggest to change to a Custom Rom, Froyo was targetd for already old devices, so it must be a pretty old device.

After decompiling the APK i get this:
sdkInfo:
minSdkVersion: '15'
targetSdkVersion: '19'

SDK 15 is Android 4.0.3, 4.0.4, so i recompiled it with a version 8, which is froyo. if that does not work, you are going to need to change to a custom rom.

Test Here and let me know what happened

Well, the phone did recognize the package but it just says that the app could not be installed. I guess I have to update to a custom rom.

I was thinking if there is a rom for Android devices similar to what Lubuntu is for Linux PCs. That is, a very light, up to date version that is ideal to run on old hardware. My phone is a Samsung GT-S5570.

I would look at either getting a custom rom or a new phone, xda developers is a good place to look for custom roms.

Google play no longer supports 2.2 and its just a risk now security wise.

Changing the minimum api in theory will only work if it doesnt require something in the newer sdk.

I don't use Google Play even on newer devices. Is there a particular custom rom that you would suggest?

Last edited by JFTS,

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I'm browing the XDA forums right now and t's a bit overwhelming with so many choices. I see there are unofficial ports of more recent Android versions, but I'm looking for a more lightweight solution.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I'm browing the XDA forums right now and t's a bit overwhelming with so many choices. I see there are unofficial ports of more recent Android versions, but I'm looking for a more lightweight solution.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2622069

This seems the best, it uses CyanogenMod and it has Android 4.2.2

Make sure of what your flashing, make a backup of your full phone with a custom recovery just in case anything happens!!!

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Thanks again for all the responses.

I'll see what can I do with my device and I will report back.

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Well, I installed a custom recovery, tried two different Cyanogenmod versions (10.1 and 11) and none of them worked. The phone kept bootlooping I and had to install back the official 2.3.6 Gingerbread Android.

The XDA forum is a damn mess of unfinished custom roms and more than half of the download links for them don't work...

Still, could someone explain to me why can't these apps that I described work on older Android? What APIs, libraries or whatever this stuff is called could possibly be required for a cleaning app and a freaking dictionary?

I'm not a programmer but I would like to know how compiling works. I would be grateful if someone could point me to a tutorial on how to compile for Android 2.3.6.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone