Sublim21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm still kind of new to this whole 'unlocking' the 3ds thing, so please excuse my ignorance.

At this point, i've been able to follow the guide posted on the 3ds hacks guide website, without any problems. Got my 3ds library, and emulators to work perfectly.
I've also gotten a r4i-gold-plus cart as well and now can get my nds library up and working.

however, in my foolishness, i have used two 32gb sd cards for both the main sd card, and the flashcart, but i can only get the flashcart to run nds games. as such, the main sd card is filled up, with most of my 3ds library, while the flashcart sd card is mostly blank. As such, i'm trying to figure out a way to 'shard the load' between the drives.

so here are my questions)

1) Is it possible to have snes/nes/genesis roms on the r4i flashcart? i have the snes emulator 'installed on the main sd card' and when i run the emulator, i can only see the 'main sd card' and can't access the flashcart files/folders.

2) Is it possible to transfer files between the r4i-gold-plus flashcart and the 'main sd card'? in the FBI program, i can transfer files around, but i can't seem to access the flashcart files/folders.

thanks in advance for any help,

-Petey

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can put the other SD card in the console and it will create a new Nintendo 3DS folder. You can install games to it and they will be installed on that folder. You'll be able to access the games there if you have that SD card inserted. They won't be available when you take it out and change it to the other SD card. You can't access a DS flashcart SD card while the home menu is loaded, you might be able to in GodMode9.

Reactions: aos10

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
1) Is it possible to have snes/nes/genesis roms on the r4i flashcart? i have the snes emulator 'installed on the main sd card' and when i run the emulator, i can only see the 'main sd card' and can't access the flashcart files/folders.

No. R4is are designed and programmed to play NDS games only.

2) Is it possible to transfer files between the r4i-gold-plus flashcart and the 'main sd card'? in the FBI program, i can transfer files around, but i can't seem to access the flashcart files/folders.
No. Flashcarts are read only.

Sublim21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Quantumcat Oh! so, if i have an sd card with the necessary files created on it, to use in the 'main sd card' slot, i could still have nds roms on it, and when i want to use it for nds roms, i could just put the sd card into the flash cart... seems so obvious now. thanks for the replies all.

Last edited by Sublim21,

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The flashcart's SD card can only be read by the flashcart, and the 3DS's SD card can only be read by the 3DS. They're completely separate.

At least that's my understanding of how it works, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Old 3ds have easily accessible SD cards.

Heres my advice. You could easily use 2 different SD cards, copy the CFW files on both SD cards and treat them differently. All the apps you use on one SD card are independent on the other. So if you installed Games zelda: Ocarina of time, and installed Zelda: Majoras Mask on the other, it will remain there and you could just swap cards as it is. The same goes for all the application you install, files you keep, emulators you run.

It is like having 2 different 3DS by using 2 Different SD cards. As long as you use it on that same 3ds.

You could also keep your NDS files on the SD card and insert it on the flashcart. Doesnt affect the files either way.

Sublim21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@chirogan

yeah. i think that's what i'll do, just setup both sd cards to be interchangeable between the the flashcart and the sd card. i'll just have to seperate the roms, basically set up an 'a squad' and a 'b' squad.

ummm quick question. to setup another sd card to use in the sd card slot, what does one have to due? Again, i followed the instruction on 3ds hacks guide .com

I believe I need to insert the sd card into the sd slot,
turn the 3ds on.
wait for it to boot,
then remove the sd card,
and i only need to follow the section on 3ds hacks guide, called 'finalizing setup'.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup

is this correct, or are there other steps i should follow

*follow up

so i put in an sd card, let it setup a home menu thingy. took the sd card out, and then followed the instructions listed in the 'finalizing setup' portion above.
I couldn't get the homebrew application to launch through soundhax. I then started the guide from the beggining again, moving the files listed in the guide over,
and still can't get soundhax to work.

can someone tell me what to do?

just to re-iterate

running an o3dsxl, that was originally on firmware 10.5 something.
I followed the guide listed at 3ds hacks guide on 1 sd card and got it to work flawlessly.
i have since doing that, i have updated the firmware of the 3ds to 11.6.0.39

Now I am trying to setup a second sd card to run 3ds software, and am having trouble.

any help is appreciated

Last edited by Sublim21,

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Old 3ds have easily accessible SD cards.

Heres my advice. You could easily use 2 different SD cards, copy the CFW files on both SD cards and treat them differently. All the apps you use on one SD card are independent on the other. So if you installed Games zelda: Ocarina of time, and installed Zelda: Majoras Mask on the other, it will remain there and you could just swap cards as it is. The same goes for all the application you install, files you keep, emulators you run.

It is like having 2 different 3DS by using 2 Different SD cards. As long as you use it on that same 3ds.

You could also keep your NDS files on the SD card and insert it on the flashcart. Doesnt affect the files either way.
The Finalizing Setup are the final files you need. Alternatively, Copying the files as it is worked for me as long as it is the same 3ds you will use.
Copy all the files from the other sd card, insert it on the 3ds and youll find similar apps, contents, settings, wallpapers are there. From there you could customize it yourself and treat it differently.

You could install 3ds games there as well or yoy could share the data between 2 mmc. Up to you.

P.S. you dont have to launch soundhax again. You dont have to hack your 3ds back. Once it is done, your sysnand has been altered and it will remain there whatever you do with it. It will launch the boot.firm cfw so dont miss it. It is the Luma.

Last edited by chirogan,

Sublim21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

so yeah, i tried the finalizing setup option again, and this time it worked perfectly. Got my second sd card up and running, and everythings working fine now. In retrospect, i should have done more research and got an sd card with a higher capacity, but this'll work fine.

My thanks to all that responded in this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram