''New2DS XL'' hack, same as N3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by puss2puss, Aug 10, 2018.

1. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    hey guys and gals!
    i been away from n3ds modding for a while, last time i was active for 3ds, my n3ds was on 9.6 if i remember..but this console as been MIA for a while for me :P

Getting a New2DS XL tonight and i was wondering:
    -N2DS hacking is the exact same as N3DS?
    -is it still as it was before? like, being able to use the exploit through CubicNinja for exemple?
    - i keep reading about how R4 cartrige are more popular then before, as of now, is it necessary to have one to exploit the N2DS XL to run homebrews and backups?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Everything is same on any 3DS no matter what.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    The new2DS XL is just a new3DS in a different shell. All exploits that work with the new3DS will work on the new2DS XL.
    Ninjhax isn't used anymore and things have really shifted towards completely different methods.
    Several R4-clones can be used for the exploit known as "NTRBoot," which is used to install B9S and then a CFW.
    There are several other methods that can work with the n3DS/n2DS
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/

puss2puss likes this.
  4. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    nice, thanks for the info!
    Last question, usually, wich firmware comes with teh N2DS xl lately? exmple, the black & turquoise edition?

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Honestly that really doesn't matter anymore it's most likely going come with an OFW below 11.7, which means you can use the upcoming exploit that will be released tomorrow.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/defcon-...-free-arm9-exploit-chain-on-august-11.508086/
    And even then NTRBoot, Hardmod, and DSiwarehax, and seedminer* are all not effected by OFW updates.
    *might be effected by OFW updates, but 11.8 didn't touch it.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Aug 10, 2018
    puss2puss likes this.
  6. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    ah i see.. well to be honest, i was asking the question just to prepare myself lol.. i was hoping to mod it tonight, but i wanted to make sure if i need a flashcart or not but i guess it will depend if i use the NTRboot or not, and if so, i wont be able to mod it until i get the card :P
    does any N2DS ships with a firm under 11.3? (for sound..i would use it without updating until i receive the card..)

i just wanna make sure i can use an exploit on the n2ds without any flashcard depending on the FW it ships with haha.. eitherway, i will have the console tonight so i will dig into it once i get it and monday i will order a flashcart if still needed :P

7. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I'm afraid you might need a flashcard. But who knows, still they're pretty cheap these days anyway.

8. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    indeed.. the price isnt my issue..its more, the time haha.. but like i said, if i have to wait until next week before having the card i will wait..but i still hope i will be able to play a bit with it during the weekend lol..i wish i could use the sky3ds for it :P.. btw..the sky3ds still works with the n2ds, right? (not the blue button or the + ...the normal old one)