Hardware New Xbox or PC?

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's finally here, but I already have a PC with a Ryzen 7 and a 1080 TI and 64 Gigs of RAM. Do I need it or would money be better spent on a new GPU and SSD in the future? I know not all previous gen games carry over from Xbone to PC (gamepass, Play Anywhere) and a series X would allow me to play those on better hardware, but what about future games? Are Xbox and PC going to be separate ecosystems? Do I need a Series X for any games or features that I can't already get on PC?

D

Deleted User

I look at xbox series x as good alternative for those who don't have money to buy gaming pc but still want great performance.
Since you already have pretty powerful pc I don't think you need the series x.
The only thing you missing is Ray tracing but I wasn't blown away from it and I don't think it's worth to buy console just to have this option.

Reactions: Pipistrele

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think if you've already got the setup to only need to upgrade one component, like the GPU, you're better off spending that money on a new GPU. However if you don't then there's more reason to dive into a console.

Are you saying you already have an Xbox One?

As for experiencing games on console that you wouldn't on PC, you're more likely to not miss out on anything on the Xbox, especially if you already have an Xbox One, ruling out the backwards compatible stuff, although it would perform a bit better. Although you'd end up spending your money towards improved backwards compatiblity instead of improved next-gen titles, which you should consider what matters the most to you. The more exclusive experiences going forward are going to be on PS5 and Switch, obviously.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MS seem to be smooshing the xbox and PC together more and more as time goes on (the original xbox was basically a PC so devs could code that way, the 360 had all its libraries so again, the xbone then went further still and MS have otherwise made every effort to tie things together), and show no sign of stopping now.

Game wise. At best there will be some timed exclusives or maybe some timed DLC.
Back in the PS3 and 360 days the number of exclusives plummeted to basically not a lot really.
After MS flubbed the Xbone launch then Sony took a bit of a lead and we actually saw some notable exclusives to the PS4 from both Japanese and US/western developers that have yet to make their way to PC, and a few that are only just making their way to PC, outside of even the normal 5 or 6 devs that MS and Sony manage to drag in house*. Personally I was generally unimpressed by the whole last generation. Or if you prefer ignore remakes and tell me 10 games that I will want to play in 10 years or that really moved the needle in design, play, graphics, scope or otherwise?

*MS has been on a bit of a buying spree and while contracts and business logic probably say they should still end up with stuff on Sony systems you know at the first available opportunity they will do exclusives, timed exclusives, timed DLC, have it as the main platform with a console port an afterthought.

Here I think we have to wait for the dust to settle after Christmas, and maybe Easter next year, to see if any are going to have a notable lead.

All this on top of the PC side of things allowing all the fun mods where consoles have generally not a lot, or a bunch of sanitised boring stuff. Oh and not having to pay for online. The lack of second hand games is a bit of a pity.

So yeah much like the last 2 generations now the consoles have been for people that don't want to build a PC, think being on a console makes things pop in and run (not like consoles don't have all the updates and installs these days, and also PC has got pretty good compared to the 90s and early 2000s), will suffer worse and worse versions of games as time goes on (today a console might be equivalent to a PC twice the price, perhaps more if the known hardware perk kicks in, but next year... less so) and PC development accelerates, will get to pay for online.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
If you buy your games from Microsoft store sometimes you can cross save files/purchased games between xbox and pc.

Don’t buy new pc yet because we might see new powerful arm pc that uses new types of motherboards with upgradable gpu and ram.

I am looking forward to buy mac mini with m1

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of bummed out that games like Monster Hunter , MK11 and Soul Calibur 6 that I paid for on Xbone I wasn't able to just redownload on PC. It seems that some third party games you have to buy twice between the two.

Reactions: Zense

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you buy your games from Microsoft store sometimes you can cross save files/purchased games between xbox and pc.

Don’t buy new pc yet because we might see new powerful arm pc that uses new types of motherboards with upgradable gpu and ram.

People play games on MAC?!
Best joke ever seen today.

D

Deleted User

800% price for 10% the performance, the compatability will be shit, don't buy a mac to play games smh

Reactions: TomRiddle

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
On topic:
You have powefuru computa, spendo no moni on Ekusubokusu.
No powafuru computa, spendo moni in Ekusubokusu.
Gamu for Ekusubokusu have improvementusu to system. Good deal.

Now seriously, I'll really looking to get one, because I now the machine is able to handle all games, instead of building a computer, that will end up being more expensive in the long run to accomodate the games.

Besides, I can move the console around if I wish. The PC, not so much.

In the end, let what you have be the deciding factor.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really sure if you should spend the money on a Series X unless you really want the living room experience. Microsoft makes it a thing now to have all of their xbox exclusives available on PC in the Microsoft store

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The new Generation literally uses the same architecture as modern PCs and MS has little exclusive stuff today. I would wait to see how AMD drivers will be and if the software is good, there are also rumors nvidia will release an 3080ti in January with 20gb vram.

Nvidia will probably be better for now, but in the future due to AMD being used in Systems and PS5/Xbox they could profit from optimization, there are also features like Smart Memory Access and later their counterpart to DLSS.

My conclusion:
Wait until Q2 next year and then upgrade your PC

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
800% price for 10% the performance, the compatability will be shit, don't buy a mac to play games smh

I didn’t say buy mac for games I said we may see new powerful arm pc in desktop form that needs new motherboard and able to upgrade gpu in the future.

I am looking forward to buy the first gen of these machines called mac mini m1 first arm desktop.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
So it's finally here, but I already have a PC with a Ryzen 7 and a 1080 TI and 64 Gigs of RAM. Do I need it or would money be better spent on a new GPU and SSD in the future? I know not all previous gen games carry over from Xbone to PC (gamepass, Play Anywhere) and a series X would allow me to play those on better hardware, but what about future games? Are Xbox and PC going to be separate ecosystems? Do I need a Series X for any games or features that I can't already get on PC?

for gaming purposes PC=microsoft........ xbox= microsoft, you probably will not even utilize half of that 64GB of ram, the xbox can't compete, if you already bought a pc, don't bother getting a series x, just get a new gpu and ssd

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you said PS5 and I already have a gaming PC I'd say PS5 is worth it, because Sony has a lot of exclusives. But seems like almost every Xbox game shows up on PC too, so not really worth it in that case.

kazya88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If u are a casual gamer and little time to play then get the xsx. If not, and you have no budget limit, then a top end gaming pc is the right choose but we are on pretty different budget. Xsx is cheaper in comparison of a same specs pc

Last edited by kazya88,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
If u are a casual gamer and little time to play then get the xsx. If not, and you have no budget limit, then a top end gaming pc is the right choose but we are on pretty different budget. Xsx is cheaper in comparison of a same specs pc

for the price (500-700 usd) of the series x (plus buying games/live) you can build a pc that will still out preform it, if you have to ask about console vs PC

the answer always invest in a PC, you don't have to buy a new pc every 3-4 years, you don't have to worry about proprietary bullshit, for the cost of the series x one can buy an amd vega 56 or 64, and upgrade the cpu, then the pc is good for another 10 years or so

console graphics look like SHIT imho, no freesync, 60fps, 1080p, frame tearing, lower res textures; compared to playing the same games on a pc at max/ near max settings

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

bobthebuilder89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the price (500-700 usd) of the series x (plus buying games/live) you can build a pc that will still out preform it, if you have to ask about console vs PC

the answer always invest in a PC
, you don't have to buy a new pc every 3-4 years, you don't have to worry about proprietary bullshit, for the cost of the series x one can buy an amd vega 56 or 64, and upgrade the cpu, then the pc is good for another 10 years or so

console graphics look like SHIT imho, no freesync, 60fps, 1080p, frame tearing, lower res textures; compared to playing the same games on a pc at max/ near max settings
uhhh no 700 dollars worth of computer is not the same as an xbox series x . All lies . your talking 1500 for a setup min . all the internals 4k monitor a decent keyboard and mouse . Seriously ? in what world do you live in that 700 dollars can build you anything but an expensive potato . My graphics card alone was almost 700 .

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I look at xbox series x as good alternative for those who don't have money to buy gaming pc but still want great performance.
Since you already have pretty powerful pc I don't think you need the series x.
The only thing you missing is Ray tracing but I wasn't blown away from it and I don't think it's worth to buy console just to have this option.
I'm pretty sure that ray tracing is a new feature anyways that is very demanding to use.

I'm sure their are a couple of games that benefit from ray tracing per say but there are loads other that just might be better getting those extra frames by turning ray tracing off.

Of course consoles have restricting options compared to PC but just something to take note of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-