New Wii U features outed in Nintendo patent

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A patent filed by Nintendo on August 5 has revealed several new features for the Wii U's tablet-controller.

The patent, spotted by a NeoGaf user, reveals that the controller will have a magnetometer, IR port, speaker, microphone, built in flash memory and a rechargeable battery. The patent can be seen in its annotated form below.

Most of these features require little in the way of an explanation, but the magnetometer - similar to what is used in PS Move controllers - is reported to be used for calibration.[/p]

wii_u_patent.jpg

wii_u_patent_with_names.jpg

Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magentometer. LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE COPYING FROM SONY HURR HURR HURR.

I jest. Still not all too interested in the WiiU, there's nothing that I've seen that makes me think these new features warrant a new console purchase from me, especially if it'll just be playing the games that the PS3 and Xbox 360 can, just trading their exclusives for some Nintendo ones.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I still don't like that controller, I wished they would also release an actual controller controller along with the tablet so for those who just want to play games with a simple controller. Although the idea of playing a game while your family watches TV interests me.

inb4 Hack the tablet to use Android.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
suprgamr232 said:
I still don't like that controller, I wished they would also release an actual controller controller along with the tablet so for those who just want to play games and play games. Although the idea of playing a game while your family watches TV interests me.
They want 'innovation' gaming PLUS catching up - hey it's next gen, HD games are ubiquitous.

Notice the inverted commas.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill mostly be buying the WiiU for Nintendo exclusives. I hate the overall design of the controller... Its so damn big!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
AceWarhead said:
Ill mostly be buying the WiiU for Nintendo exclusives. I hate the overall design of the controller... Its so damn big!
Actually it isn't as big as expected. The screen is only 6.2"...

Not really keen on the Wii U though.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
suprgamr232 said:
I still don't like that controller, I wished they would also release an actual controller controller along with the tablet so for those who just want to play games with a simple controller. Although the idea of playing a game while your family watches TV interests me.

??? They (apparently) will still be using wiimotes, the tablet is a 5th controller. You can very likely still use the classic controller the same way as you do on the Wii.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
suprgamr232 said:

??? They (apparently) will still be using wiimotes, the tablet is a 5th controller. You can very likely still use the classic controller the same way as you do on the Wii.

I am well aware, I'm saying they should release a controller that doesn't have to be connected to a Wiimote, a standalone wireless controller. Some people don't want to pay $30 for a Wiimote and then another $20 for a Classic Controller that has to be connected to a Wiimote at all times.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll be getting the Wii U for sure. Imagine what it's like to play nintendo franchises in full HD and in ways never seen before. That makes me really excited, partially because I felt that not having HD in the Wii was a bad move and drove me away from that system. I feel that HD graphics do contribute to the immersion of a game which I feel a lot of games lack on the Wii. Whenever I play I get annoyed by the lack of detail I'm used to, but I might be spoiled too
wink.gif

Anyway, I like the way they are going now, keeping atleast one generation between handheld and homeconsole and finally getting up there with current gen in terms of power.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly if the Sony and Microsoft just do standard sequels again, I'll probably be using my Wii U the most . I feel like in the case of this scenario it will be a repeat of this current generation *sigh*

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
machomuu said:
I feel like in the case of this scenario it will be a repeat of this current generation *sigh*

Luckily PC gaming hasn't gone this way
wink.gif

Got the Wii a few months ago for emulation and a few Nintendo exclusives. Otherwise it's not that interesting compared to the PS3/360. Especially since I didn't actually play that much on the PS1/PS2 (albeit I do own a PS2 nowadays).. Same thing goes for the WiiU. Nothing really mind blowing that would make me switch from the PS3.

-Qtis

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
the way i see it, its a mix between the latest and next gen. good idea but i feel it needs more than magnetometer features
the features are still something that can sell if the games are good.

we already saw the 3ds failing NOT BECAUSE it didnt have a new feature but because it didnt have games.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koimayeul said:
don't got a wii, won't get a wii U.. i leave it to kids, old people and trendy freaks
nyanya.gif

No...

QUOTE(machomuu @ Aug 12 2011, 12:24 PM) WTF!? This controller is going on innovation overload.
Which is a good thing?
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Patent to save link chasing
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20110190052.pdf

It is pushing 3am here and this is a wide reaching patent (if I had to say this appears to be pushing towards a "registered design" although that is a non-existent concept in US IP law) so I will probably have to save a proper analysis for the morning.

The abstract- laughable in my book but we do not tend to dismiss such things on the basis of abstracts.

First is that a typo (omission of "by" in paragraph 03 on page "1" aka page 20 of the PDF)- granted that is not a bad one but given this is a massive patent application and I presume a healthy chunk of change err changed hands to make it happen that is bad form. Back on topic this is quite a long PDF and I am not entirely convinced some of the terms are useful "home console type game device" means exactly what to the patent office? Embedded devices and devices with a manufacturer controlled whitelist are anything but innovative although they do effectively broaden that definition to be almost meaningless to my reading later on (although that might be the intention to prevent someone saying "but my device is a phone" or something).

Wirelessly transmits compressed video data with emphasis placed on compressed and wirelessly....

Anyhow a quick scan of the actual claims (end of second column on page 44 of 46 on the PDF) screams obvious to even a layman in the field but failing that I think they probably prior arted themselves (mic, video, game device wirelessly transmits sounds to the relevant controller- did not the wiimote have such a feature?).

If we do need prior art for the video I will trot out silent scope (probably arcade version but hey)- pretty sure the scope was a second screen there.

6. A device with a (touch) screen and buttons either side on the same face....?

8. Just to mention magnets- wave one over the power buttons of your original DS.

At a glance if it was not already obvious this seems kind of boring and appears to be more of a we tried/CYA patent. One thing I did notice is they keep harping on about wireless almost as though it is a silver bullet against claims of no innovation with the backup being ramming several previously seen methods into a single device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?