New Wii U features outed in Nintendo patent

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Aug 12, 2011.

Aug 12, 2011
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    A patent filed by Nintendo on August 5 has revealed several new features for the Wii U's tablet-controller.

The patent, spotted by a NeoGaf user, reveals that the controller will have a magnetometer, IR port, speaker, microphone, built in flash memory and a rechargeable battery. The patent can be seen in its annotated form below.

Most of these features require little in the way of an explanation, but the magnetometer - similar to what is used in PS Move controllers - is reported to be used for calibration.[/p]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Magentometer. LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE COPYING FROM SONY HURR HURR HURR.

I jest. Still not all too interested in the WiiU, there's nothing that I've seen that makes me think these new features warrant a new console purchase from me, especially if it'll just be playing the games that the PS3 and Xbox 360 can, just trading their exclusives for some Nintendo ones.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I still don't like that controller, I wished they would also release an actual controller controller along with the tablet so for those who just want to play games with a simple controller. Although the idea of playing a game while your family watches TV interests me.

inb4 Hack the tablet to use Android.

4. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    They want 'innovation' gaming PLUS catching up - hey it's next gen, HD games are ubiquitous.

Notice the inverted commas.

5. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    Ill mostly be buying the WiiU for Nintendo exclusives. I hate the overall design of the controller... Its so damn big!

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Actually it isn't as big as expected. The screen is only 6.2"...

Not really keen on the Wii U though.

7. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    ??? They (apparently) will still be using wiimotes, the tablet is a 5th controller. You can very likely still use the classic controller the same way as you do on the Wii.

8. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    I am well aware, I'm saying they should release a controller that doesn't have to be connected to a Wiimote, a standalone wireless controller. Some people don't want to pay $30 for a Wiimote and then another $20 for a Classic Controller that has to be connected to a Wiimote at all times.

9. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    don't got a wii, won't get a wii U.. i leave it to kids, old people and trendy freaks [​IMG]

10. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    If I ever come into money, then I will buy this.

11. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    With all innovative ideas, I'm interested in seeing how games will work with this controller. Even still I am excited for the Wii U and will most likely get one.

12. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    I'll be getting the Wii U for sure. Imagine what it's like to play nintendo franchises in full HD and in ways never seen before. That makes me really excited, partially because I felt that not having HD in the Wii was a bad move and drove me away from that system. I feel that HD graphics do contribute to the immersion of a game which I feel a lot of games lack on the Wii. Whenever I play I get annoyed by the lack of detail I'm used to, but I might be spoiled too [​IMG]

Anyway, I like the way they are going now, keeping atleast one generation between handheld and homeconsole and finally getting up there with current gen in terms of power.

13. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    WTF!? This controller is going on innovation overload.

14. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Or people that want to play exclusives.... I guess they count too...

15. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Honestly if the Sony and Microsoft just do standard sequels again, I'll probably be using my Wii U the most . I feel like in the case of this scenario it will be a repeat of this current generation *sigh*

16. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Luckily PC gaming hasn't gone this way [​IMG]

Got the Wii a few months ago for emulation and a few Nintendo exclusives. Otherwise it's not that interesting compared to the PS3/360. Especially since I didn't actually play that much on the PS1/PS2 (albeit I do own a PS2 nowadays).. Same thing goes for the WiiU. Nothing really mind blowing that would make me switch from the PS3.

-Qtis

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    the way i see it, its a mix between the latest and next gen. good idea but i feel it needs more than magnetometer features
    the features are still something that can sell if the games are good.

we already saw the 3ds failing NOT BECAUSE it didnt have a new feature but because it didnt have games.

18. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Which is a good thing? [​IMG]

19. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    And casual gamers and family games and people who play party games and people who like quality exclusives.

20. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Patent to save link chasing
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20110190052.pdf

It is pushing 3am here and this is a wide reaching patent (if I had to say this appears to be pushing towards a "registered design" although that is a non-existent concept in US IP law) so I will probably have to save a proper analysis for the morning.

The abstract- laughable in my book but we do not tend to dismiss such things on the basis of abstracts.

First is that a typo (omission of "by" in paragraph 03 on page "1" aka page 20 of the PDF)- granted that is not a bad one but given this is a massive patent application and I presume a healthy chunk of change err changed hands to make it happen that is bad form. Back on topic this is quite a long PDF and I am not entirely convinced some of the terms are useful "home console type game device" means exactly what to the patent office? Embedded devices and devices with a manufacturer controlled whitelist are anything but innovative although they do effectively broaden that definition to be almost meaningless to my reading later on (although that might be the intention to prevent someone saying "but my device is a phone" or something).

Wirelessly transmits compressed video data with emphasis placed on compressed and wirelessly....

Anyhow a quick scan of the actual claims (end of second column on page 44 of 46 on the PDF) screams obvious to even a layman in the field but failing that I think they probably prior arted themselves (mic, video, game device wirelessly transmits sounds to the relevant controller- did not the wiimote have such a feature?).

If we do need prior art for the video I will trot out silent scope (probably arcade version but hey)- pretty sure the scope was a second screen there.

6. A device with a (touch) screen and buttons either side on the same face....?

8. Just to mention magnets- wave one over the power buttons of your original DS.

At a glance if it was not already obvious this seems kind of boring and appears to be more of a we tried/CYA patent. One thing I did notice is they keep harping on about wireless almost as though it is a silver bullet against claims of no innovation with the backup being ramming several previously seen methods into a single device.