New Wii due by 2011

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by sonic209, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008

New Wii due by 2011 by sonic209 at 5:59 AM (2,267 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. sonic209
    OP

Member sonic209 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Kotaku:What, is there a sale on crystal balls this week? Or do people have DEPRESSION FEVER? Either way, we don't just have one story on the next next generation of consoles today, we have two. The second's from What They Play, where former 1UP man John Davison says "multiple sources in the game development and publishing community" have been talking to him about the next Wii. Which has the tentative name "Wii HD".

As you can tell by the name, it'll get Nintendo back in the graphics saddle by opting for HD visuals. There'll be a "greater emphasis" on digital delivery and backwards compatability. There'll again be an emphasis on the system's controller, rather than the system itself. And it'll be out no later than 2011.

This being 2008, and with the Wii having been out less than two years, this all gets filed in the "SOMETIME IN THE DISTANT FUTURE" file. And there's absolutely no way to confirm any of this. So for now, just hit the link below, soak it all up, imagine a world with a HD Zelda and try and come up with a better codename than "Wii HD".

Sources:http://kotaku.com/5057222/american-site-its-time-to-talk-new-wii-out-in-2011

http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/3...ii-due-by-2011/

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Another "Pure specualation" topic.

3. ridgecity

Member ridgecity GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    I'm amazed his sources didn't hear about the Wii motion plus until everyone else knew, yet they already know about Wii 2??? cool!!

4. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    This and how is such speculation "news"?

5. DBMONK

Member DBMONK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hmmmmmmm, i will belive it when i see it.....

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    So Nintendo might release a new Wii by 2011 with HD capabilities and more emphasis on motion controls? ORLY!??!

2011? Who cares... This could be anyone's guess. There's really no solid proof or anything that sets this apart from other speculation.

7. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    wii hd is gonna be a next gen console in 2011, why not now?
    if they release it in 2011 they will be way back than sony and ms.
    but i hope they are different than the rivals, i dont want three console which are similar.

8. XeonZ

Member XeonZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why should they release it now if the current Wii is still selling extremely well?

This is a pretty broad speculation. First PS4 rumors and now Wii 2? Yeesh.

9. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Considering new consoles come out every 5 years, this isn't really brain surgery to figure this out...

SNES: 1991
    N64: 1996
    GCN: 2001
    Wii: 2006

10. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    O SHI- hd? can it run the halos?

lol, ppl just love hearing rumors don't they?

11. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Nintendo only releases updated PORTABLE products. Their home consoles change with every incarnation (until they have retro systems, then they'll create all kinds of different versions).

This article does NOT belong in user submitted news. Theres nothing news-worthy here. Its pure speculation, and poor speculation at that.

Not ragging on the Topic Creator, more on the use of a Kotaku article thats not news.

EDIT: Also, we will not be seeing the name "Wii2" "WiiToo" "WiiHD" or anything like that as the title. Ninty does the naming fine, and (again) outside of hand-helds, they're all differently (and aptly) named.

12. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    If they DONT focus on HIGH powered systems instead of low powered consoles they WILL fail!

13. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    if that were the case.....they would've folded a long time ago

14. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well people would be pissed of if Nintendo did nothing at all and just ran with the Wii until it is 2020 ?
    Nintendo has a big jump ahead , going the way of the "PC" or going the way of the Dodo.

If they cant match specs or out do them memory wise and configuration wise they gonna be dead last again.

If they had a sense of humor they would name their next console GameCube 1.5 [​IMG]

15. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Like in this generation!? [​IMG]

16. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I don't care if all three consoles will be similar, as long as there won't be an embarassingly underpowered one again.
    If being "different" means having sucky graphics, I couldn't care less about all three consoles being the same.

17. Foppzter

Member Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    I am pretty sure that Nintendo will release a new system in the future.
    I am pretty sure that it will be more powerful than the Wii.
    I am pretty sure that the new system will be powerful enough to output HD.
    I am pretty sure that they will release it around 2011 +-2 years.

So why am I so sure about all these things?
    1. Nintendo is a company. Companies main function is to make money. Thereby Nintendo will create a new system in the future.
    2. Hardware gets cheaper and more powerful. It would probably cost them more to produce a system that's less powerful than a Wii compared to a system that's more powerful than a Wii.
    3. Wii is in theory powerful enough to handle 720p. Why would they not allowing HD in their next system if it's more powerful than the Wii? Looking at the past, Nintendo have always been one generation late with things. Like discbased systems...
    4. Compared to the past, the next next generation will be around 2010. Why would Nintendo not releasing a next next generation system?

18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The GBA, NDS & Wii all were low powered, all have outsold the competition and all have made Nintendo a lot of profit with each console sold. Microsoft are only just starting to make their money back from the 360, and that's more to do with the live service & games than actual hardware.

Its a shitter that these consoles aren't as high powered but its doing Nintendo's bank account some real good.

19. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    The original gameboy was b&w and beat out both the game gear and the lynx, which were full color. Obviously, Nintendo hasn't had a problem with underpowered systems for a while. The only thing that has seriously harmed Nintendo in the past decade is going with cartridges on the N64.

20. Foppzter

Member Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Didn't Gameboy beat the crap out of Lynx and Game Gear mainly because of the better battery time?