ROM Hack New to this

Flipnfr3ak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aloha everyone. First of all I'm all mobile and using tapatalk most of the time since I'm very limited right now on a computer. I'm finally looking at all the new mods and hacks, I feel really lost. Last time I did anything on a Nintendo handheld was on the first gen 3ds but using a flashcard called acekard2i. But I didn't know really how to use it. It was pre programmed and all I had to do was download Roms and save it to my sd card. So now years later I have the new Nintendo 3ds XL with 10.0.0.27u on it. What can I do? How do I use custom themes? Homebrews? Foci need a flashcard for any of these? I'm completely lost and I'm having a hard time navigating on the tapatalk app. Can anyone help me out on where to begin?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, before you were using a DS flashcart to run DS homebrew on your 3DS. Homebrew for the 3DS itself is still in the fairly early stages. If you're looking for homebrew fit for end users, you're not going to find it on the 3DS yet, I'd recommend waiting a couple of years and mess with a PSP in the meantime. If you're interested in tinkering, developing, testing, etc., then I'd recommend you start here and here.

The kind of homebrew you can run on your firmware will be limited in the resources that can be used, but it's not bad. Any questions you have you can probably find elsewhere on the forums using the search feature.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Flipnfr3ak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I'm planning on tinkering and developing. I thought it was further along then that on the 3ds. I think I stopped when GW was still being developed. Actually even before the 3ds xl came out and only has the first gen 3ds. And so I'm guessing sky is the only true playable 3ds rom cart there is huh?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I'm planning on tinkering and developing. I thought it was further along then that on the 3ds. I think I stopped when GW was still being developed. Actually even before the 3ds xl came out and only has the first gen 3ds. And so I'm guessing sky is the only true playable 3ds rom cart there is huh?
Generally homebrew doesn't move forward much for a platform unless a cheap and easy way to run homebrew pops up. If you think the 3DS homebrew development was slow, you should go take a look at the PS3.

Flipnfr3ak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I heard about the PS3. Even the psp took forever. I have a lot of spare time now days so I figure go back to what I was doing. I'm still doing software developing and trying to find injections for jail breaking for idevices. But I'm getting bored with iPhones. Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of reading again lol

Flipnfr3ak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download Youtube immediately.

Then go here.
http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
You can run homebrew, custom themes, and edit saves.

You missed the boat as far as 3ds game piracy (<=9.2) goes.
Hope that's not an issue. :)

I know I missed the boat. That's what I get for stopping. The original 3ds took so long that I just stopped. Now that I'm looking again I'm kind of mad that I stopped lol. Hopefully 10.0 will have something. Plus I have the newest 3ds. The new 3ds so I don't know what my limitations are. Just like when I get my iPhone 6s for jail breaking.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I heard about the PS3. Even the psp took forever. I have a lot of spare time now days so I figure go back to what I was doing. I'm still doing software developing and trying to find injections for jail breaking for idevices. But I'm getting bored with iPhones. Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of reading again lol
PSP and Wii were about as ideal as it got (besides the Dreamcast and maybe some cartridge based systems pre-3DS). They were exceptions rather than the rule.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...