Homebrew New to flash cards and need some help

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my M3i Zero today and I love it, but Im trying to see what else it does beside play games. I want to know how to customize it, get new menus, themes,skins. Maybe even different firmware if the one its preloaded with isn't as good as another. I tried Moonshell 2, but I don't see the point really, im probably doing it wrong as im loading it through the M3i Zero menu. I don't see any good homebrew programs in the stickys at least none that interest me right now. I tried the Bunjalloo web browser, but I couldnt get it to load pages, then again I don't need it since the DSi has a web browser already.

So what else can I do?

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should try using Sakura, if you haven't already. It's modeled off of Moonshell and does everything that does but more. There's a few cool homebrew apps out there...haha, but for some reason, my mind's gone blank right now.
tongue.gif

Let's see...there's Colors, a painting app, but it doesn't support pressure sensitivity on the DSi. There's a few emulators out there, like Lameboy for GBC, and nesDS for NES games. Just search around, there's lots out there.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where do I find Sakura and how do I set it up? Im not into emulators right now as I use my PSP for that kinda right now, although im sure in the future ill use the DS for it. Right now though I don't see many really awesome programs I need, maybe im not looking hard enough? I just finished skiming the download section.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haha, nesDS and Lameboy pwn anything the PSP has. nesDS has a REWIND feature. Beat that.
tongue.gif

And it looks like you can find it there...not 100% sure though, since I don't have an M3i.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point of Moonshell is to view media files, whether they be mp3 audio files or image files or text files or converted video files. It's basically the de-facto media player for the DS, even though there are dedicated apps that can handle some of those individual functions better (DSReader or DSLibris for text files, ComicBookDS for image files).

There's tons of other homebrew out there, so much that we can't really give decent recommendations without knowing what types of things you're interested in. You can use your DS to take notes in class (DSNotes), calculate your tip (WabbitDS which emulates the TI-83+ calculator), play some retro games (NES DS, Lameboy, jEnesisDS, SNEmulDS, MarcaDS), stream internet radio stations, browse the web, message your friends through IM or IRC, control your computer remotely, talk to another DS like a walkie-talkie using the DS's local wireless capabilities, or even make a phone call over wifi(SVSIP). Those are just some basic suggestions. There are also tons of games people have made, from 3D racers (Whee!DS, Futuristic Racer) to sandbox simulators (World Of Sand) to a Portal clone (StillAliveDS) to rhythm games (Video Game Hero, AmplituDS) to guitar tuners to platformers to puzzle games to Tetris Attack clones (TetAttDS) to... well you get the point. Point is, the DS can do a lot of stuff if you look around to find the apps for it.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there other sites beside this one with good homebrew stuff on it? Some of the things you listed I either didn't see or weren't avaliable anymore. Whats a good app for streaming online radio/music?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not entirely sure what the names are, to be honest. There's Dissonance I remember, and DSOrganize can stream Internet radio if you put the .pls or .m3u file on your card and launch it from the file browser. You can also get it to work from DSLinux with a somewhat complicated command that's documented on the DSLinux wiki. I believe there are a couple others, but again I don't remember any other names.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got Sakura working I don't get whats so special about it. For one its not much more intuitive then the standard firmware and also it doesn't have a cheat function. I was hoping it would be all cool and have like make your own folders and Icons for them and load stuff from it. The standard firmware for M3i Zero has icon that can be linked to certain folders, one lead to my DS games, I which i could make my own Icons that lead to folders I make I made a Homebrew App and Homebrew Game folders. Is there a way I can accomplish this? With or without Sakura. I though Sakura would have more configurations, but it seems like less, unless its all done through the config files on the SD card.

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why were you asking FOR sakura? Sakura is the default firmware for m3i 0 and is the best. And it does have cheats and everything a normal flashcart has and more. You oviously didnt read the stuff that popped up when you first booted it up. What does the m3ds firmware have thats better than sakura?

How can you have an m3i and not know about sakura?

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I started the cart it gave me a option for Touch Pod or Sakura, i first did Touch Pod, Sakura as far as I can see does not have a cheat funtion, I tried hitting start, select, A. Start brings up a menu, select brings me to the shortcut area of previous used apps, and A starts the game, as far as I know B,Y,X,L, and R don't do it either.

Most of that was in response to Charmanderrules, I already said that the M3DSreal has cheats,a nice interface, and skins to choose from already, although I know Sakura has them to. Mainly the interface, can I change that? What can I change with Sakura, what makes Sakura so special someone tell me this so I understand. I'm new at this remember

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sakura is based off of moonshell so you can listen to music, watch vids, read txt files, ect, But it can use the touch screen to drag and choose a game, it has cheats if you hold down Y(!) and you can listen to music while you choose a game. It is very unique and you oviously didnt do much research when you got an m3i. Lots of people have been talking about how awesome sakura is before m3i 0 came out so how didnt you know?

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you read the title of this topic correctly you would know im NEW to flash carts, thus I know nothing of this stuff, why would I know anything about Sakura? Also all this bickering about it isnt helping. Is there a way with Sakura to make it have a different interface? How do you play music? Where is all this stuff you speak about, Is there a guide on how to make the best of Sakura show it to me please. Remember IM NEW.

Bakuryu42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I change the interface at all I kinda liked the layout for Touch Pod, almost like having a desktop.

Also it has come to my attention Sakura was already on my cart, I just didn't realize it, problem is I installed it again to the cart using the MSI file I download from the m3adapters download website. When I boot it says Sakura 1.35, but I download 1.40, so im wondering if it is in conflict with itself right now, as I am noticing alot of trouble booting to Sakura.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)