TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If making a game revolve around treasure or coins is a bad thing, then I guess Wario Land sucks, huh?
I haven't played much of the Wario Land games (except for a bit of the first one), but if I remember correctly, Wario Land doesn't have opportunities to get hundreds of coins all at once slammed in your face, and still give you 1-ups for every 100, making the game ridiculously easy (and lives rather pointless). Overall, I think the coin idea is cool, I'm just disappointed that there seems to be no point for it except high scores, and there doesn't seem to be any other true innovation in the game, from what we can see so far (only playing the actual game can confirm whether I'm right or not).

Reactions: 1 person

scikoolaid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's about time Mario was made into a Gold Mario, we've had metal/silver for long time. Afterall, we've only seen him as a gold metal form on the box for All-Stars.
Other than being slighty original 2d mario game, I'm interested in seeing what other minor things they may include with this title, more base work for Nintendo Network? DLC? Leaderboards? in game Achievements?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I'm going to be pissed if Nintendo puts some awesome update on the cart that adds like awesome NN features while anyone who didn't buy it waits another month and a half for an update. Just like with 3DLand...

What? What awesome update came with 3DLand???

DonnyKD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xwatchmanx said:
and still give you 1-ups for every 100, making the game ridiculously easy

Ugh, again with this half-assed argument.

"You have lots of lives, there for it's easy!"

Yeah, you never played Super Meat Boy, did you? You have no lives at all, and you can restart as you please. Is that game easy? Hell no.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, again with this half-assed argument.

"You have lots of lives, there for it's easy!"
I love how you claimed my argument is "half-assed," and yet you didn't give any explanation whatsoever for WHY it's half-assed.

At any rate, having such a ridiculously easy system for 1-ups makes lives and checkpoints completely pointless. The whole idea is that, if you get a game over, you have to start from the last save point (whether it be the beginning of the current level, or a few levels back). This makes it a bit more CHALLENGING because after the save point and/or midway checkpoint, you have only so many opportunities to screw up before being forced back to the beginning of the level, or the last save point. Of course, if you're racking up at least 3 or 4 1ups almost every level like in Super Mario 3D Land (I ended the game with something akin to 300 or 400 lives), that completely destroys the purpose of checkpoints.

Is this the only factor in whether a game is challenging or not? Of course not. But it is a rather large factor... they should either decrease the opportunity for extra lives, or get rid of checkpoints entirely.
Yeah, you never played Super Meat Boy, did you? You have no lives at all, and you can restart as you please. Is that game easy? Hell no.
No, I've never played Super Meat Boy. However, one thing I have read is that the game is ridiculously hard. If the game is as hard as people say, there's no need for life limits, etc to preserve the challenge. But Mario games aren't ridiculously challenging to begin with, so having a broken 1-up system that gives you practically unlimited lives is really harmful to the difficulty.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
At any rate, having such a ridiculously easy system for 1-ups makes lives and checkpoints completely pointless. The whole idea is that, if you get a game over, you have to start from the last save point (whether it be the beginning of the current level, or a few levels back). This makes it a bit more CHALLENGING because after the save point and/or midway checkpoint, you have only so many opportunities to screw up before being forced back to the beginning of the level, or the last save point.

You may like being forced to redo easier levels over and over again because you failed on a harder level, but I think generally most people get pretty p*ssed off being forced to go through the same monotonous routine time and time again, just to get to the same bit, have a few more trys than being forced back again if they fail.

Ask yourself: what's the point? You've already beaten levels 13-18, you're stuck on 19. Yet every time you die three times on level 19 you have to go back and do 6 levels again, just to get another chance to beat level 19. Is that fun? Really? If I go back to level x, I want it to be because I've decided to go back there and explore. Look for hidden exits, find the star coins, whatever. Not because I failed 5 levels further on.

Each level has its own challenges, and should be progressively harder than the next. You've had, in effect, infinite lives in Mario for the last few generations (in that there's always a level you can go back to to rack up your lives quota pretty easily). I honestly wish they'd get rid of the lives system all together. It's a farce.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You may like being forced to redo easier levels over and over again because you failed on a harder level, but I think generally most people get pretty p*ssed off being forced to go through the same monotonous routine time and time again, just to get to the same bit, have a few more trys than being forced back again if they fail. Ask yourself: what's the point? You've already beaten levels 13-18, you're stuck on 19. Yet every time you die three times on level 19 you have to go back and do 6 levels again, just to get another chance to beat level 19. Is that fun? Really? If I go back to level x, I want it to be because I've decided to go back there and explore. Look for hidden exits, find the star coins, whatever. Not because I failed 5 levels further on. Each level has its own challenges, and should be progressively harder than the next. You've had, in effect, infinite lives in Mario for the last few generations (in that there's always a level you can go back to to rack up your lives quota pretty easily). I honestly wish they'd get rid of the lives system all together. It's a farce
To say that you have to do 6 levels over is an extreme exaggeration. Even New Super Mario Bros. Wii only had you taking maybe 3 levels at MOST between save points. Plus, you're argument doesn't really apply to most of the more recent Mario games which allow you to save each level, and hence game overs only result in starting the level over, and not from any midway point you may have reached.

But I agree with you, lives are becoming pointless. And that's why I'm irritated at this "dozens of one-ups in every level" idea. They should either make lives truly MATTER, or get rid of lives and midway points altogether.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
To say that you have to do 6 levels over is an extreme exaggeration. Even New Super Mario Bros. Wii only had you taking maybe 3 levels at MOST between save points. Plus, you're argument doesn't really apply to most of the more recent Mario games which allow you to save each level, and hence game overs only result in starting the level over, and not from any midway point you may have reached.

Which was my point, really. You were advocating going back to a much darker time where you had to replay levels over again when you ran out of lives. I say platform games have evolved beyond that point and game makers need to give people a reason to want to go back and do levels again.

But I agree with you, lives are becoming pointless. And that's why I'm irritated at this "dozens of one-ups in every level" idea. They should either make lives truly MATTER, or get rid of lives and midway points altogether.

I agree with getting rid of lives. I like midway points, though I think levels need to be a little longer to warrent them.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Which was my point, really. You were advocating going back to a much darker time where you had to replay levels over again when you ran out of lives. I say platform games have evolved beyond that point and game makers need to give people a reason to want to go back and do levels again.

I agree with getting rid of lives. I like midway points, though I think levels need to be a little longer to warrent them.
"Darker time" is a matter of opinion, honestly. To me, it makes the game much more exciting. There's really no motivation for me to truly do my best and stay "on edge" while playing if I know I can just do it over and over and over and FREAKING OVER again every time I die, without penalty.

An example of a good workaround would be Kid Icarus: Uprising. You have unlimited lives and a fully adjustable difficulty setting, but if you want to reap better rewards and and earn achievements for beating chapters on the highest difficulty, you have to really work to beat the level without dying. If games like Mario implemented some creative workarounds like that to eliminate limited lives, etc while still preserving the challenge, I would love that. But as it stands, I think it would kill all the fun if there was no true way to "fail" while playing.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be pissed if Nintendo puts some awesome update on the cart that adds like awesome NN features while anyone who didn't buy it waits another month and a half for an update. Just like with 3DLand...

It was an epicly ulitmate feature or anything but it added the join game button to friends list. I use it alot so thats why I think its cool.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

It was an epicly ulitmate feature or anything but it added the join game button to friends list. I use it alot so thats why I think its cool.
i never thought 3d land had multiplayer?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

._. It didnt... read the post above his.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

._. It didnt... read the post above his.
it was an epic ultimate feature? the join game on the friends list is for online games, to play with them online like in KI and MK7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153